"End Demand" stings
05-03-2014, 04:46 AM,
"End Demand" stings
http://dcist.com/2014/05/prince_georges_...ve-twe.php

http://pgpolice.blogspot.com/2014/05/pgp...sting.html

The Prince George's County Police Department will be live tweeting prostitution stings in an attempt to end demand for prostitution in their county.

This is the same county that took a service dog away from a disabled woman because it was a Pit Bull.

Fucking morons.

Whether or not you agree with prostitution, this live-tweeting of the stings puts the constitutional rights of those arrested in jeopardy.

The U.S. Constitution specifically states that the accused are innocent until found guilty by a jury of their peers.

If you have ever served jury duty in a criminal case, the judge almost certainly made it very clear to you that you are to see the defendant as innocent until the prosecution has proven otherwise. Police often arrest people who have not committed a crime.

The instructions will also tell you that you are not to seek any information about the case outside the courtroom as that may bias your viewpoint.

By live tweeting the arrests on a popular social media network, the police are interfering with the constitutional right of those they arrest to have a jury of their peers that has not been exposed to the case beforehand.

If the law is being violated, the police have to do their job, but the way they are doing is simply not acceptable.

It needs to stop.
Welcome to the dark side. Are you surprised we lied about having cookies?
05-03-2014, 06:23 AM,
RE: "End Demand" stings
Yeah, well, pit bulls are dangerous. They should be taken away. Also, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. You'd do well to remember that.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
05-03-2014, 06:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-03-2014, 06:40 AM by Jehannum.)
Can't they indemnify themselves by telling us that "All criminals are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law" like COPS used to?

I mean, that's less than 140 characters...
"The 300ZX Turbo is a dance; it's a song; it's rolling, roaring automotive art. There is no color that doesn't suit it. There is no mood-lifting chemical substance it can't replace." - Automobile Magazine
05-03-2014, 07:30 AM,
That doesn't matter, it makes it more difficult to jurors who have not already been exposed to evidence outside the courtroom.

With COPS they didn't air it while it was happening.
05-03-2014, 10:13 PM,
Does it matter if they report it immediately or hours later? If they can report in real time, they should.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
05-03-2014, 10:50 PM,
(05-03-2014, 10:13 PM)roo Wrote: Does it matter if they report it immediately or hours later? If they can report in real time, they should.

It is not the job of the police to act as the press at all, so no, real time reporting is not what they "should" do.

I know you are just trolling, but this is a critically important concept.

The US Constitution clearly specifies the accused are to be presumed innocent until proven guilty with a right to trial by jury.

Police reporting interferes with the ability to find a jury that has not been exposed to the events, especially using a social network like twitter.

TV shows like COPS fed a sick voyeuristic part of our culture but they were filmed long before they were broadcast and thus did not interfere with jury selection.

The police have this crazy notion that johns will be afraid to buy services if they may end up as part of the next sting, which means the cops intent is for their tweets to be widely seen throughout the county.

Their plan depends upon radically reducing the pool of potential jurors and thus their plan depends upon interfering with the rights that the people they arrest are entitled to by the US Constitution.
05-03-2014, 10:58 PM,
I've been on Cops. They showed the APD chasing my friends and me out of a park.
"The 300ZX Turbo is a dance; it's a song; it's rolling, roaring automotive art. There is no color that doesn't suit it. There is no mood-lifting chemical substance it can't replace." - Automobile Magazine
05-04-2014, 07:22 AM,
(05-03-2014, 10:50 PM)FunkyRes Wrote:
(05-03-2014, 10:13 PM)roo Wrote: Does it matter if they report it immediately or hours later? If they can report in real time, they should.

It is not the job of the police to act as the press at all, so no, real time reporting is not what they "should" do.

I know you are just trolling, but this is a critically important concept.

The US Constitution clearly specifies the accused are to be presumed innocent until proven guilty with a right to trial by jury.

Police reporting interferes with the ability to find a jury that has not been exposed to the events, especially using a social network like twitter.

TV shows like COPS fed a sick voyeuristic part of our culture but they were filmed long before they were broadcast and thus did not interfere with jury selection.

The police have this crazy notion that johns will be afraid to buy services if they may end up as part of the next sting, which means the cops intent is for their tweets to be widely seen throughout the county.

Their plan depends upon radically reducing the pool of potential jurors and thus their plan depends upon interfering with the rights that the people they arrest are entitled to by the US Constitution.

East coast police do this thing called logging. You should try it. It's a great tool that assists in transparency. Keeping logs and filing a report of an arrest isn't a statement of guilt. They even use special language to avoid confusion. They log all arrests. It's a good thing.
05-04-2014, 09:10 AM,
This is different, they want to TWEET the raids in attempt to shame those arrested and thus scare potential johns from seeking prostitutes.
It's an idiotic plan will fail and the only result is that those arrested will have the details shared on social media when it happens, before the DA decides to prosecute, before jury selection, thus exposing potential jurors to bias.

Is that too hard for you to understand? Or did you not even bother to read the fucking links I provided before you decided to argue with me because arguing with me gets your dick hard?
05-04-2014, 10:06 AM,
(05-04-2014, 09:10 AM)FunkyRes Wrote: This is different, they want to TWEET the raids in attempt to shame those arrested and thus scare potential johns from seeking prostitutes.
It's an idiotic plan will fail and the only result is that those arrested will have the details shared on social media when it happens, before the DA decides to prosecute, before jury selection, thus exposing potential jurors to bias.

Is that too hard for you to understand? Or did you not even bother to read the fucking links I provided before you decided to argue with me because arguing with me gets your dick hard?

Seems to me that this is just a great tool for transparency. Now you don't even have to go file a FOIA request to get case history!
05-04-2014, 01:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-04-2014, 03:55 PM by Gippy.)
Pit Bulls are not dangerous by nature.
A massage doesn't always have to lead to sex, but if it doesn't then you're doing it wrong.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
05-04-2014, 09:41 PM,
(05-04-2014, 09:10 AM)FunkyRes Wrote: This is different, they want to TWEET the raids in attempt to shame those arrested and thus scare potential johns from seeking prostitutes.

You seem upset. Transparency is good in public offices. End of conversation.
05-05-2014, 01:34 AM,
(05-04-2014, 09:41 PM)roo Wrote:

Quote:Bust at Walmart parking lot. Subject's name is Roo

Shortly after it's discover that it was a misunderstanding and/or the perp was someone else with the same name, but by then all your friends and family have heard about it.
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
05-05-2014, 02:09 AM,
(05-04-2014, 09:41 PM)roo Wrote:

This isn't transparency.
This is a publicity stunt and nothing more.

It isn't going to end demand, attempts to end demand by exposing those arrested has never worked before.

I suspect that what is really behind it is cops on a power trip seeking attention and that is dangerous, but regardless, reporting on crime is for the media, not the police.