Smapdi's Wonderful Fantastic Oscar Thread
02-25-2019, 10:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-25-2019, 02:08 PM by smapdi.)
Video  Smapdi's Wonderful Fantastic Oscar Thread
As a formerly successful, multi-year Oscar contest organizer, I am placing my guesses here before the start of the big show. I may also talk to myself in this thread.

Actor in a Leading Role:
Christian Bale - Vice Rami Malek

Actor in a Supporting Role:
Sam Elliott - A Star is Born Mahershala Ali

Actress in a Leading Role:
Glenn Close - The Wife Olivia Coleman

Actress in a Supporting Role:
Regina King - If Beale Street Could Talk

Animated Feature Film:
Mirai - Mamoru Hosoda and Yuichiro Saito Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse

Cinematography:
Roma - Alfonso Cuarón

Costume Design:
The Favourite - Sandy Powell Black Panther

Directing:
BlacKkKlansman - Spike Lee Alfonso Cuarón

Documentary (Feature):
RBG - Betsy West and Julie Cohen Free Solo

Documentary (Short Subject):
End Game - Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman Period. End of Sentence.

Film Editing:
Bohemian Rhapsody - John Ottman

Foreign Language Film:
Roma - Mexico

Makeup and Hairstyling:
Vice - Greg Cannom, Kate Biscoe and Patricia Dehaney 

Music (Original Score):
Black Panther - Ludwig Goransson

Music (Original Song):
Shallow - from A Star Is Born

Best Picture:
BlacKkKlansman

Production Design:
Mary Poppins Returns - John Myhre; Set Decoration: Gordon Sim Black Panther

Short Film (Animated):
One Small Step - Andrew Chesworth and Bobby Pontillas Bao

Short Film (Live Action):
Marguerite - M. Farley and marie-Hélène Panisset Skin

Sound Editing:
Bohemian Rhapsody - John Warhurst and Nina Hartstone

Sound Mixing:
A Star Is Born - Tom Ozanich, Dean Zupancic, Jason Ruder and Steve Morrow Bohemian Rhapsody

Visual Effects:
Solo: A Star Wars Story - Rob Bredow, Patrick Tubach, Neal Scanlan and Dominic Tuohy First Man

Writing (Adapted Screenplay):
Can You Ever Forgive Me? - Nicole Holofcener and Jeff Whitty BlacKkKlansman

Writing (Original Screenplay):
Vice - Adam McKay Green Book
02-25-2019, 11:02 AM,
RE: Oscar Thread
Manos: The Hands Of Fate will take it all this year.
"The 300ZX Turbo is a dance; it's a song; it's rolling, roaring automotive art. There is no color that doesn't suit it. There is no mood-lifting chemical substance it can't replace." - Automobile Magazine
02-25-2019, 11:03 AM,
RE: Oscar Thread
The MST version
02-25-2019, 11:14 AM,
RE: Smapdi's Wonderful Fantastic Oscar Thread
1 for 1 - Regina King - she won some of the precursor awards so I feel that was a given. Two actresses from The Favourite nominated in the same category will always split up the votes too. In any case, Rachel Weisz goes home with Daniel Craig every night so who's the real winner here.
02-25-2019, 11:19 AM,
Dang, 1 for 2. Appropriately cutting off the Documentary Feature winner speech. I didn't see any of those films tho.
02-25-2019, 11:27 AM,
2 for 3. Making Christian Bale look like Dick Chaney is a clear winning move. And the competition was not that great.
02-25-2019, 11:30 AM,
Rats, 2 for 4.
02-25-2019, 11:40 AM,
OK maybe I should have seen Black Panther.
02-25-2019, 11:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-25-2019, 11:46 AM by smapdi.)
Roma was actually the first Oscar nominated movie I saw this season; pretty good overall. Then I watched Bohemian Rhapsody. oooh, Khaleesi!
02-25-2019, 11:57 AM,
Sound editing not a surprise. I've seen Queen and Adam Lambert twice by the way. Wait - three times. Excellent show but the first time was of course the best.
02-25-2019, 12:00 PM,
For your viewing during commercials: An actually very funny SNL skit regarding these lamer category winners. Starring Adam Driver, currently up for an Oscar tonight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7thr3uvXCo
02-25-2019, 12:03 PM,
I’m considering going to see the remnants of Queen this summer. It’s a seven plus hour drive (one way) to the closest venue. Still worth it?
Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie

02-25-2019, 12:04 PM,
Also:
Welcome back, smaps!
Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie

02-25-2019, 12:09 PM,
(02-25-2019, 12:03 PM)agedgruel Wrote: I’m considering going to see the remnants of Queen this summer. It’s a seven plus hour drive (one way) to the closest venue. Still worth it?

Hm, is there a fun stop-over halfway through?
Yes, I would say worth it. Drive there, see the show, get a room and drive back the next day. I regret all the acts I thought about seeing and didn't for one reason or another, and now they are gone.
02-25-2019, 12:12 PM,
I’ve seen Pearl Jam 3 times and been able to photograph Eddie Veddar and Dave Matthews on stage. I’m kinda satisfied in the concert front.
A massage doesn't always have to lead to sex, but if it doesn't then you're doing it wrong.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
02-25-2019, 12:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-25-2019, 12:20 PM by smapdi.)
(02-25-2019, 12:12 PM)Gippy Wrote: I’ve seen Pearl Jam 3 times and been able to photograph Eddie Veddar and Dave Matthews on stage. I’m kinda satisfied in the concert front.

That is definitely cool, and photos to boot, can't beat that.

How did I guess Film Editing correctly? OK I'll take it
02-25-2019, 12:25 PM,
Well I didn't get Best Supporting Actor, but there were a lot of great guys in that category. Also I have not seen Vice or Green Book yet. The clip of Sam Rockwell as GWB? Wow. That Makeup winner was on point.
02-25-2019, 12:28 PM,
So far I’ve only seen 2 of the movies on your list. Solo and Black Panther. Never thought those two would make the awards list.
A massage doesn't always have to lead to sex, but if it doesn't then you're doing it wrong.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
02-25-2019, 12:30 PM,
Michelle Yeoh is stunning.
02-25-2019, 12:45 PM,
Remember the days when you could stream all these movies for free without infecting your computer with a virus, even all the laminated shorts.
02-25-2019, 12:48 PM,
Ooh this winning film (Period. End of Sentence.) is on Netflix. Soon I will never need to go to the theaters AGAIN!
02-25-2019, 12:49 PM,
As an aside, I don't think I've seen any camera shots of Meryl Streep. Is she even here tonight, she asked no one
02-25-2019, 12:53 PM,
I’m watching a Columbo movie on MeTV.

02-25-2019, 12:55 PM,
I’m glad that the Oscars brought you back to us.

02-25-2019, 01:02 PM,
(02-25-2019, 12:55 PM)agedgruel Wrote: I’m glad that the Oscars brought you back to us.

Heh  Thanks! I love MeTV, a whole fountain of retro-entertainment! Next up: Touched By an Angel (never watch that series). Have you seen the Decades channel? We had it for like a moment and now I think they took it off our provider. 

I'm 6 for 15. Not great track record. I am glad I didn't offer up a prize. 

I just rented Star is Born this weekend. Gaga and the Hangover are singing their song now.