I bought a Switch
02-08-2019, 12:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-10-2019, 01:15 AM by roo.)
I bought a Switch
Welcome to one of my rants. 

I bought a Switch about 55 weeks ago. 55 weeks? Yes. Nintendo told me. I checked my email records too.  They're right.  55 weeks.  Fancy that.

The reason for raising that particular data point is that my Switch is bricked.

It's been sitting on its dock for the past 6 or so weeks.  I don't play it daily.  Or weekly.  Really, it's kind of an "in spurts" sort of thing. The last time I was playing it was some time in December and I was slaying demons like a boss in Diablo III.  I put Switch on its dock after a session and then did other things, as I'm wont to do.

The other night, I picked it up, and it would not turn on. It's been 6 weeks since I touched it. Did the power go out?  Was there a surge?  Probably to both, but there's a surge protector and I don't know, I wasn't paying attention to it.  There's not even a way to know if the Switch itself has a charge, but it stands to reason that it does since the joycons do.

I Googled the problem.  I'm not alone.  Apparently, if you neglect the Switch, it has an auto-brick feature.  Seriously.  That's a fun fact they don't advertise.  Don't believe me?  Google "Switch won't turn on."  There seems to be some FUD about third party chargers, but I think it's a red herring.  I think Nintendo is covering up a defect.  I digress.

There are instructions, however.  Hold down the power buttonfor 12+ seconds to force a shut down, then turn it back on. I followed the instructions.  No joy.  Step #2?  Have Nintendo fix it.  So I went to Nintendo's support site to send it in for the fix.  I go through the process, and it says it's going to be $99 because it's out of warranty. I checked my records. It couldn't possibly be a year.  Sure enough,  I'm 3 weeks out of warranty.  Shit.  $99 to fix this mint condition brick.  I mean, I get it -- that is, I want to get it -- but I still feel gipped.

So no.  I'm not paying Nintendo $99 to fix it.  Fuck them.  

Instead, I bought a set of Chinese screwdriver bits on Amazon for a fraction of that price. Tomorrow, I will own a tri-point screwdriver bit. I'm taking the fucking Switch apart.  I'm going to disconnect the battery.  I'm going to press any button I can find in there.  I'm going to hold it down.  

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Nintendo+Sw...ent/112995

If it doesn't work, I gain the satisfaction of taking apart a perfectly good Switch. I might even sell it to some nerd on the list.  $99 for a bricked Switch. And of course, Nintendo will never get another dollar of my money.  They'll join the long list of companies that are dead to me.  If it does work, I save ~$74 on a repair, and maybe I'll buy Smash Bros.

Either way, I can't wait to upgrade my mini screwdriver set!  I hope it's a fine set.  Considering the total cost of ownership, I have high expectations. Smile
02-08-2019, 12:09 PM,
RE: I bought a Switch
that oEmbed widget for iFixit is unexpected.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
02-08-2019, 12:37 PM,
So, the moral of the story is to use the switch frequently?

Asking because I too own one, and do not want to take it apart.
"The 300ZX Turbo is a dance; it's a song; it's rolling, roaring automotive art. There is no color that doesn't suit it. There is no mood-lifting chemical substance it can't replace." - Automobile Magazine
02-08-2019, 12:40 PM,
Also, I sprung for the fancy toolkit from ifiixit: https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Mako-...F145-299-4

It's awesome.
"The 300ZX Turbo is a dance; it's a song; it's rolling, roaring automotive art. There is no color that doesn't suit it. There is no mood-lifting chemical substance it can't replace." - Automobile Magazine
02-08-2019, 04:16 PM,
$30 for that kit ain’t bad.
Seems like a better investment than a switch.
A massage doesn't always have to lead to sex, but if it doesn't then you're doing it wrong.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
02-08-2019, 07:57 PM,
Yeah, tools++

And yes, do not let the Switch sit idly in sleep mode for prolonged periods. At least, that's my understanding.

I hope to discover if the battery is holding a charge and if disconnecting the battery will force a reboot. There's no way to know anything about the device if the screen doesn't come on.

At least I'm not voiding my warranty!
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
02-09-2019, 03:00 AM,
(02-08-2019, 04:16 PM)Gippy Wrote: $30 for that kit ain’t bad.
Seems like a better investment than a switch.

The bits are proper tool steel too, so you're not going to strip them out trying to tighten down a drive screw.
02-09-2019, 04:52 AM,
I have that kit’s predecessor.

[Image: ifixit-pro-tech-toolkit1.jpg?resize=640%...&strip=all]

It is pretty cool. Just noticed the newer version has ten more bits, though. Now I have bit envy. I might need to shop.

Also, I want a Nintendo Switch.
02-10-2019, 01:18 AM,
Well, the good news is that my cheap bits performed well. Nothing stripped, everything I needed was there.

I disconnected the battery and let it sit overnight because I got distracted.

This morning, the battery is providing 4.1V. It's marked 3.7V, so it's on the high side, but it's holding a charge.

I reconnected the battery, pressed power, nothing.

I reassembled it. It's still a brick. Sad.
02-10-2019, 02:17 AM,
So are you selling to some nerd, or is there something else to try first?
Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie

02-10-2019, 03:35 AM,
I don't know. I need to decide first if Nintendo is dead to me or not. I think the problem with the Switch is a bad circuit board that Nintendo designed. They probably know it's bad. I think it's shitty.

But they've not let me down before. So, do I overlook it?
02-10-2019, 03:43 AM,
Are you going to pay to have it fixed?
Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie

02-10-2019, 06:51 AM,
If they're not dead to me, I probably will. No sense in having a dead one around. But I'm irritated at the thought of it.
02-10-2019, 02:00 PM,
Well the bootloader (designed by Nvidia) is supposed to pernamently self-destruct if it detects tampering. If I had to guess is that a software fault triggered the self destruct sequence.
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
02-10-2019, 03:20 PM,
In thinking class action law suit, which I suppose could be viewed as the equivalent of our consumer protection laws.
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
02-10-2019, 11:42 PM,
(02-10-2019, 02:00 PM)FuturDreamz Wrote: Well the bootloader (designed by Nvidia) is supposed to pernamently self-destruct if it detects tampering. If I had to guess is that a software fault triggered the self destruct sequence.

Your guess is that while it was sitting on its dock untouched for six weeks it detected tampering and self destructed?  OK.
02-11-2019, 12:59 AM,
(02-10-2019, 03:20 PM)Alien Wrote: In thinking class action law suit, which I suppose could be viewed as the equivalent of our consumer protection laws.

Consumer protection laws are another phrase for job-killing regulations that prevent shareholder value. Why do you hate freedom?
02-11-2019, 05:43 AM,
(02-10-2019, 11:42 PM)roo Wrote:
(02-10-2019, 02:00 PM)FuturDreamz Wrote: Well the bootloader (designed by Nvidia) is supposed to pernamently self-destruct if it detects tampering. If I had to guess is that a software fault triggered the self destruct sequence.

Your guess is that while it was sitting on its dock untouched for six weeks it detected tampering and self destructed?  OK.

I'm saying the self destruction is probably why it cannot be recovered. It's programmed to validate the bootstrap process and permanently kill itself if something is awry, and a rare glitch occurring during that is always plausible, and would turn a simple needed restart into a death.
02-11-2019, 08:19 AM,
So, basically, that it’s not outside the realm of possibility that something unthinkable might occur.
A massage doesn't always have to lead to sex, but if it doesn't then you're doing it wrong.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
02-11-2019, 11:07 AM,
It is an oddly specific diagnosis for "anything can happen."
02-12-2019, 01:04 PM,
(02-11-2019, 11:07 AM)roo Wrote: It is an oddly specific diagnosis for "anything can happen."

It's an explanation why the end result is "your Switch is borked, time to throw it in the garbage and buy a new one" and not "Your Switch is borked, but you can fix it by booting it into recovery mode and reformatting it"
02-14-2019, 02:29 AM,
(02-12-2019, 01:04 PM)FuturDreamz Wrote:
(02-11-2019, 11:07 AM)roo Wrote: It is an oddly specific diagnosis for "anything can happen."

It's an explanation why the end result is "your Switch is borked, time to throw it in the garbage and buy a new one" and not "Your Switch is borked, but you can fix it by booting it into recovery mode and reformatting it"

What do you really know?  NOTHING, so shut up.
02-14-2019, 09:42 AM,
Good luck with that, Jeh. We're all counting on you.