Off Site Backup
01-21-2019, 05:15 AM,
Off Site Backup
Ya know, like Backblaze and stuff.
Anyone using one? I'm tempted. Alternately I'm tempted to buy a NAS, configure it for a DynDns provider, and mail it to my parents and have them plug it in, then to remote backups to their place. But that sounds like work and also a headache when they forget what that box is for and decide to unplug it.
01-21-2019, 05:27 AM,
RE: Off Site Backup
No. I have an onsite backup.

If my house gets exploded, my iTunes library and keychain are the least of my concerns.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
01-21-2019, 06:04 AM,
I am slowly working towards a solution more or less like yours, using my parents as a co-location. I figure, everybody’s got broadband nowadays, and it goes unused at night.

My current (but ever evolving) plan is to stick a big(gish) HP Proliant server in their house, along witha Mac Mini (or some other cheap old Mac) that I can use as a jump server in case something awful happens to the HP. Then I would just run rsync at night so that their Time Capsule is backed up to my installation, and my shit is backed up at their house. Might take a while to get there, though. Might also have to set them up with „commercial“ Internet service to get things like static IP blocks et cetera. I would then also use that for redundant mail service and the like.
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
01-21-2019, 09:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-21-2019, 09:58 AM by Jehannum.)
I still follow the same course I did years ago, though I've gone from RAID 5 to RAID-Z internally for my time machine backups.

Offsite my provider, Crashplan, finally figured out that they can't offer unlimited backups for pennies a month to whoever comes, so they rebranded themselves "small business" and charge per client (I only have one). It's something like $10 per month still, so I'm not sweating it. They're the only non-enterprise (read $$$$) group to offer a linux backup client, so I'm pretty well hemmed in with them.

My chain of backups for the macs on the network is to a time machine volume on my server's RAID-Z array, and the RAID-Z array is then backed up to Crashplan. I also do a monthly blu-ray backup of the really important stuff.

I don't like losing data.
"The 300ZX Turbo is a dance; it's a song; it's rolling, roaring automotive art. There is no color that doesn't suit it. There is no mood-lifting chemical substance it can't replace." - Automobile Magazine
01-21-2019, 10:18 AM,
I just use OneDrive. The day that Microsoft loses my data is the day that I probably have bigger things to worry about.
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
01-22-2019, 07:08 AM,
(01-21-2019, 10:18 AM)FuturDreamz Wrote: I just use OneDrive. The day that Microsoft loses my data is the day that I probably have bigger things to worry about.

The only thing I trust Microsoft to make that doesn't suck is a vacuum cleaner.
01-22-2019, 10:15 AM,
(01-22-2019, 07:08 AM)Jehannum Wrote:
(01-21-2019, 10:18 AM)FuturDreamz Wrote: I just use OneDrive. The day that Microsoft loses my data is the day that I probably have bigger things to worry about.

Shrug

I haven't heard you recommending iCloud.
01-22-2019, 11:18 AM,
(01-22-2019, 10:15 AM)FuturDreamz Wrote:
(01-22-2019, 07:08 AM)Jehannum Wrote:

Shrug

I haven't heard you recommending iCloud.
Because the two choices are iCloud and oneDerp?
01-22-2019, 04:32 PM,
I use iCloud. Had been using it for my Photos Library pretty much since the feature debuted, and recently upgraded to the 1 TB plan, since I was running low on storage space for my photos anyway. It's now keeping my Documents and Desktop folders synced between my iMac and my MacBook Air, and makes those files readily accessible on my iPhone as well. Not a full backup, mind you, but enough of the important stuff that I'd be safe in the event of a catastrophic physical loss.
There is no dark side of the moon, really…matter of fact, it's all dark.
01-23-2019, 02:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-23-2019, 02:49 PM by Gippy.)
I do let iCloud do that syncing and backup our phones. I’ve been replacing Dropbox with iCloud.
A massage doesn't always have to lead to sex, but if it doesn't then you're doing it wrong.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
01-24-2019, 06:59 AM,
Used to use Box more, since I got something like 250 GB for free, but they've got a file size limit of something like 50 MB, so it's rather useless for most things. Now, if I need something anywhere, I'll save it to the Desktop or Documents folder in iCloud, and it's right there waiting for me on all my devices.
There is no dark side of the moon, really…matter of fact, it's all dark.
01-24-2019, 01:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-24-2019, 01:02 PM by Gippy.)
I have 11GB free in DropBox because I helped one of them out in their early days.
But, still, wanna get off of that. Their desktop client is atrocious.
A massage doesn't always have to lead to sex, but if it doesn't then you're doing it wrong.
01-24-2019, 03:21 PM,
I won’t use anything needing a proprietary app for such things. If they yank it, you can’t get at your data. Or, arguably worse: you cannot delete it.
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
01-28-2019, 01:56 PM,
Have any of you considered just getting a hosting plan somewhere with your own domain and using it for your backup?
01-28-2019, 02:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-28-2019, 02:53 PM by Gippy.)
That has crossed my mind. I could easily push the current TimeMachine backup to an AWS S3 bucket. It could possibly go to AWS glacier, too, since that's meant for data at rest. The issue there is that I'd be on the hook for writing and maintaining the backup routines.

When paying for a service someone else writes the agent that sits on your machine and pushes files in to the cloud, and they're ensuring data integrity and availability. There's peice of mind in that.

I wouldn't trust commodity hosting for this, really. Anything in the reasonable price range to undercut a service would probably not take kindly to the kinds of traffic that this could produce. If your uploaded backup corrupts they won't give a shit. If your upload puts stress on the server they'll stop your process and MAYBE tell you they stopped it. Also, when commodity hosting goes down and they need to restore from backup they'll always tell you that you can get your data back up faster if you just re-upload it ('cause their focus is on then serving that data). Also, too, that regular hosting account is focused on data serving, not backup/archive, so it'd probably be easy to mis-configure a setting and expose your entire backup to the inter webs ;)
01-28-2019, 02:56 PM,
Now having said all that I need to go and look see if there are backup clients for AWS Glacier...