outdoor security cameras
12-10-2018, 06:05 AM,
outdoor security cameras
I'm considering installing an IP cam or two.

I get the principles behind these, but I don't know what to look for, and I don't know what I should be looking for.  

My network is ready for a total replacement, and I expect to pull more cable.

Anyone dabble in this area?  Have a home setup?  Any recommendations?
12-10-2018, 06:46 AM,
RE: outdoor security cameras
Here's my crappy network currently.  FYI.  I plan to replace both Airport Extremes.  I might run a cable to the other one, but I don't want to because it's on an outside wall.

12-12-2018, 01:29 AM,
I'm in the same boat, except that my network is relatively up to date, so I anticipate only having to add power injectors to the camera cables.
"The 300ZX Turbo is a dance; it's a song; it's rolling, roaring automotive art. There is no color that doesn't suit it. There is no mood-lifting chemical substance it can't replace." - Automobile Magazine
12-12-2018, 09:00 AM,
I opted for an Orbi system. It's not super high tech, but it's super dumbed down, so while I might not score nerd points for configuring a network, I score life points by not supporting a misconfigured network.

And then I can, like you, add PoE devices with injectors when the time is right.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
12-12-2018, 11:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-12-2018, 11:34 AM by Gippy.)
If I do cameras it'll be through PoE. I think pulling ethernet will be much easier than finding power. Plus hardwired network should shield me from the inevitable wide open webcam issue that'll inevitably pop up.

That said, I'll probably never do it.
A massage doesn't always have to lead to sex, but if it doesn't then you're doing it wrong.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
03-07-2019, 03:31 PM,
Did you ever do anything with cameras?
I'm probably gonna do this soon.

Probably drop in a Synology or QNap NAS since both have software built in to do security cameras and handle docker for all the other crap you'd want to shoehorn on to a NAS. I can also use it to finally ditch the hand-me-down hardware media center and do it right. I bought a Ubiquti router a while back and its been great, so I'll probably keep funneling way too much money there and go POE from a Ubiquiti switch. I can add a couple access points too since right now if you sit under the single AP you get 1998 style speeds. Not sure which cameras yet. A friend just went through this and tested a bunch of cameras. I need to see what he settled on.
A massage doesn't always have to lead to sex, but if it doesn't then you're doing it wrong.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
03-08-2019, 09:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-08-2019, 09:56 PM by roo.)
I did not. I bought an Orbi kit to do my network. It's fine. For now, I'm "doing it wrong" in that I'm using Orbi as a pair of APs, but that's because I need a different switch. It works. One of these days, I'll sort that out.

I have not moved forward with NAS and cameras at this point. But I did buy a GoPro that I've been using to capture delightful close-ups of birds at my feeders. It does not integrate with my network.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?