FAKE NEWS [long read]
08-31-2018, 09:40 AM,
FAKE NEWS [long read]
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/a...id/542502/
08-31-2018, 11:30 AM,
RE: FAKE NEWS [long read]
Related: https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-...ce-webpage
A massage doesn't always have to lead to sex, but if it doesn't then you're doing it wrong.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
09-01-2018, 08:05 AM,
You know, Trump is still drawing standing room only crowds at his rallies.
Facebook isn't why he got elected and remains popular.
09-01-2018, 11:13 AM,
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”
Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie

09-01-2018, 05:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-01-2018, 05:58 PM by Alien.)
(09-01-2018, 08:05 AM)Kev Wrote: remains popular
Interesting choice of words, there.
09-01-2018, 11:50 PM,
(09-01-2018, 05:51 PM)Alien Wrote:
(09-01-2018, 08:05 AM)Kev Wrote: remains popular
Interesting choice of words, there.

He hasn't lost the support of the people that voted for him, they love what he's doing even if they dislike how he says things.
It's pretty much the opposite of a typical politician who said pretty things but then never followed through and fucked shit up instead.
In Trumps case, actions speak louder then words.
09-01-2018, 11:55 PM,
I’d like some of what Kev is smoking. It is clearly some high quality shit.
Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie

09-02-2018, 02:20 AM,
(09-01-2018, 08:05 AM)Kev Wrote: remains
[Image: 2017-09-07-21-15-projects-fivethirtyeight-com.jpg]
Quote:popular
[Image: preliminary-results-of-popular-vote-in-t...ection.jpg]
09-02-2018, 04:27 AM,
(09-01-2018, 08:05 AM)Kev Wrote: You know, Trump is still drawing standing room only crowds at his rallies.
Facebook isn't why he got elected and remains popular.

I’m sure that none of the attendance numbers are disputed at all.

As an example, if the Stormy Daniels story had broken before the election it only would have had to sway 0.3% of the vote to turn the election. Deception matters.
09-02-2018, 07:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-02-2018, 07:06 AM by Kev.)
Oh gee, Alien is showing me polls taken by the same people that had Hillary winning by 80% in a historic unprecedented landslide.
09-02-2018, 03:52 PM,
“Alternative facts”: the gift that keeps on giving. (And giving, and giving, and giving, …)
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
09-02-2018, 09:19 PM,
Not for nothing, but Kev's got a point. Trump may not be popular in your bubbles, but that doesn't mean that he isn't popular.

I don't know how one could take poll results from an historically inaccurate source and accept them as accurate.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
09-03-2018, 05:52 AM,
Wait, you’re saying the US Presidential Election is a historically inaccurate source?
09-03-2018, 08:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-03-2018, 08:21 AM by roo.)
Wait, are you saying that 538 is using the US Presidential Election to show current popularity?
https://fivethirtyeight.com/wp-content/u...ht-com.jpg
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
09-03-2018, 10:29 AM,
I don’t know that bragging about Trumps legion of supporters is worth anything.

Lots of people still like Carrot Top but he’d also make a shitty president.

There’s also: https://twitter.com/BrookingsInst/status...5488465921
A massage doesn't always have to lead to sex, but if it doesn't then you're doing it wrong.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
09-03-2018, 04:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-03-2018, 08:07 PM by Alien.)
(09-03-2018, 08:20 AM)roo Wrote: Wait, are you saying that 538 is using the US Presidential Election to show current popularity?
No, I am not. Maybe you only read half my post? Okay, let’s break this down, shall we? For starters…
(09-02-2018, 09:19 PM)roo Wrote: Trump may not be popular in your bubbles, but that doesn't mean that he isn't popular.
Right back at ya, pal.

Kev’s premise was, that Trump “remains popular” because he draws big crowds at his rallies. I find the evidence less than compelling: I doubt there is a big enough convention space in the US, or indeed anywhere in the world, to fit half the US population plus one, or even half the US presidential electorate plus one, in a single sitting. Ergo, the size of the crowd at a Trump rally is hardly indicative of overall(!) popularity.

Now then, let’s examine the exact phrase in question: “remains popular”. For something to remain popular, it’ll have to be popular to begin with. Seeing as Trump solidly lost the popular vote, I would not think it unfair to say that his popularity is questionable to begin with. So much for that part of Kev’s claim. Which brings us to the “remains” part. As far as I know, I am not vested enough to dig deeper, that chart I posted is based on an aggregate of many approval ratings. Google “Trump approval rating” for an overview, and be prepared to find few, if any, that show an increasing or even a steady approval rating for the sitting president. From that, I dare say it is not outside the realm of the plausible to conclude that his approval rate has (overall) been declining since he took office. Therefore: “Trump remains popular”, stated without any qualifiers as to among which sections of the populace he “remains popular” (thus implying he is, or at least was at some point in time, generally popular and remains so) is a patent falsehood. Or, if you will, an “alternative fact”. Which is merely a newspeak euphemism for “blatant falsehood “.
09-03-2018, 08:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-03-2018, 08:47 PM by roo.)
(09-03-2018, 04:30 PM)Alien Wrote:
(09-03-2018, 08:20 AM)roo Wrote: Wait, are you saying that 538 is using the US Presidential Election to show current popularity?
No, I am not. Maybe you only read half my post? Okay, let’s break this down, shall we? For starters…
(09-02-2018, 09:19 PM)roo Wrote: Trump may not be popular in your bubbles, but that doesn't mean that he isn't popular.
Right back at ya, pal.

Kev’s premise was, that Trump “remains popular” because he draws big crowds at his rallies. I find the evidence less than compelling: I doubt there is a big enough convention space in the US, or indeed anywhere in the world, to fit half the US population plus one, or even half the US presidential electorate plus one, in a single sitting. Ergo, the size of the crowd at a Trump rally is hardly indicative of overall(!) popularity.

Now then, let’s examine the exact phrase in question: “remains popular”. For something to remain popular, it’ll have to be popular to begin with. Seeing as Trump solidly lost the popular vote, I would not think it unfair to say that his popularity is questionable to begin with. So much for that part of Kev’s claim. Which brings us to the “remains” part. As far as I know, I am not vested enough to dig deeper, that chart I posted is based on an aggregate of many approval ratings. Google “Trump approval rating” for an overview, and be prepared to find few, if any, that show an increasing or even a steady approval rating for the sitting president. From that, I dare say it is not outside the realm of the plausible to conclude that his approval rate has (overall) been declining since he took office. Therefore: “Trump remains popular”, stated without any qualifiers as to among which sections of the populace he “remains popular” (thus implying he is, or at least was at some point in time, generally popular and remains so) is a patent falsehood. Or, if you will, an “alternative fact”. Which is merely a newspeak euphemism for “blatant falsehood “.

I see. It's your position that 62,984,925 votes does not indicate that this man is popular.  Thanks for breaking it down for me.
09-03-2018, 10:16 PM,
That is not my position at all. All my hard work wasted.
09-04-2018, 12:01 AM,
Your "hard work" is wasted because of your own statements. Like this one:

Quote:Wait, you’re saying the US Presidential Election is a historically inaccurate source?
09-04-2018, 03:04 AM,
You’re gonna have to break that one down for me.
09-04-2018, 09:27 AM,
It's simple. A functioning democracy requires an informed AND engaged populance.
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
09-04-2018, 09:39 AM,
(09-04-2018, 03:04 AM)Alien Wrote: You’re gonna have to break that one down for me.

You already broke it down.  You went with a flawed definition of popular, and it fell flat.
09-04-2018, 02:41 PM,
Flawed, you say? Intriguing.
09-04-2018, 03:05 PM,
Here's a theory:

What if the magic of Facebook allows a small-but devout group of Trump followers to organize and travel to all the rallies? You have sports fans that will attend every game no matter the stadium, so why not Trump fans? They show up, fill out the rally, and nobody bothers to check if they are actually local or not. It could even be the same 150-odd fans at every single rally, while locals make up a far smaller percentage.
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
09-04-2018, 08:42 PM,
(09-04-2018, 02:41 PM)Alien Wrote: Flawed, you say? Intriguing.

I didn't realize that there was any intrigue in your bubble.