Sonos was a waste of money, er, a fucking challenge for the retarded
08-27-2018, 03:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-28-2018, 03:10 PM by Gippy.)
Sonos was a waste of money, er, a fucking challenge for the retarded
I first bought a Play 5 to see how it would go. It was good. Then I bought a Playbase with two Play:1s for surround. Rearranging the living room meant that the surrounds were harder to place so I just spread them out around the house.

But now Sonos sucks. Really bad. Songs never complete.

Sonos says its because there's too much traffic on the network. Ok, fine. I was due for a router upgrade anyway so I go for a Tri-band router and give the songs units a dedicated wireless network.

Nope. Still sucks.

This ranks up there with one of the worst investments I've made. Which is sad. The Playbase that's wired in to the TV via optical sounds wonderful. But as a wireless sound system they're just plain incompetent.

/bitch-and-moan

Maybe its just time to hard wire the house.
08-27-2018, 09:16 AM,
RE: Sonos was a waste of money
That sounds like a lousy experience. My experience is quite different. It just works. All the time. No trouble at all. I love the thing.

I believe Sonos creates its own wireless network, doesn't it? I don't see the option in the current player, but I thought there was once an option to switch channels. Maybe they did away with all that. It could be that the frequency is cluttered.

Do you have different results with streaming sources than locally hosted audio files?
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
08-27-2018, 01:22 PM,
This is all based on playing music from my phone.
I don’t have any other way (that I know of) of delivering music to the Sonos.
A massage doesn't always have to lead to sex, but if it doesn't then you're doing it wrong.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
08-27-2018, 09:21 PM,
Oh, I never do that. I did it once... my nephew does it. I thought it was a pain in the neck.

You need to do some set up, I think. If you configure music sources for SONOS, they'll be available to all SONOS controller clients on your network. That includes services and your local library. Once that's done, your phone still controls the device, but you can offload the server responsibilities to another device on your network and not your phone.

First, Sonos also allows you to set up music services like Sirius, Spotify, Amazon, Pandora, TuneIn, etc. You can do that in the controller app, and then Sonos streams content directly from the provider. You can add particular sources to Sonos favorites to make them easier to access.

For your local library:

I stream all of my music from my iMac. Download the SONOS controller app on your Mac, go to Music Library Settings, and tell it where your music is. There's an option to update music daily at a specified time. It imports all of your playlists from iTunes, and all is well. You can even specify multiple source directories.

Before I had my iMac, I had a nightly rsync job on my MBP that synched my iTunes library to a NAS. I then configured SONOS's Music Library Settings to use the NAS as the source. It worked perfectly for music, but imported iTunes playlists failed because the volumes and paths were different. But the music worked without being dependent upon my laptop.

Again, I have no issues at all, and all of my Sonos speakers are wireless. My iMac is also connected to the network wirelessly. The only issue I've had is trying to play a song that isn't on the network -- usually due to the sync processes being out of kilter. Sonos just stops with an error. That's kind of sad, I'd prefer it skip, but it's not that big of a deal. Everything else is amazing.

Good luck!
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
08-27-2018, 11:41 PM,
Yeah. I don’t have an always-on source any more. I greatly simplified all the tech in the house to minimize maintenance. Maybe it’s time for a refurbished mini to be a music server. I wonder if a RaspberryPi could do it...

I don’t use streaming services. The wife uses Spotify but not enough to pay for it.
A massage doesn't always have to lead to sex, but if it doesn't then you're doing it wrong.
08-27-2018, 11:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-27-2018, 11:51 PM by Gippy.)
Hm... I see that Sonos will stream from Plex. That’s easy enough to try out.

One way or another I’m gonna need some kind of server.

But his gives me hope.
08-28-2018, 08:16 AM,
I just got a smart speaker and a Spotify subscription. Haven't found anything it doesn't have yet.
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
08-28-2018, 09:49 AM,
You don't need a server either, a NAS is sufficient. I was using a partitioned drive connected to Airport: half dedicated to Time Machine, half for stuff like media. It works just fine.
08-28-2018, 10:43 AM,
Hm... time to plug a hard drive in to the router, I guess.
08-28-2018, 03:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-28-2018, 03:08 PM by Gippy.)
RE: Sonos was a waste of money, er, a fucking challenge
Hey, Roo. Thanks, Chief.

Plopped a copy of my iTunes library on a USB 3 drive, connected that to the new router (TPLink C5400 in case anyone cares) and did a quick sed on the iTunes library file to alter the root directory and I've got music and playlists.

Now to just give it some time to see if it still wants to aggravate me with the early cutoff issue.

Next step is to automate this and see if I can add the Wife's library as well. Might need to add some more sed to prefix playlist names to avoid conflicts, but otherwise this should work out pretty well.
08-29-2018, 10:44 AM,
RE: Sonos was a waste of money, er, a fucking challenge for the retarded
I never bothered with the sed part, but I always knew that tweaking the library file was the right approach after running rsync. Having imported playlists work is worth the effort. I ended up building an automator app: connect to server, rsync, disconnect. Full disclosure: the connect/disconnect never worked smoothly, I don't know why, this was my only Automator script ever.

I'm glad you got it working. I'm sure it'll solve the cutoff issue and renew your faith in what is genuinely an awesome system. The controller app isn't amazing, but it's way better than it was a few years ago, and it's getting better. I'd even say that it's SONOS is getting better faster than iTunes is getting worse. And while iTunes sucks, it's likely to get much worse.

After spending more time thinking about it, I think I recall an issue where streaming from my phone would crap out once my phone goes to sleep. Not that I do that often, but still. That may be related to what you were experiencing.

Oh, and checkout TuneIn to listen to radio stations over the internet. I really like WXPN / WXPN2 out of Philthy. You won't like it, but there's gotta be something you will like, and sometimes it's just nice to let someone else make the playlist.