Guitar enthusiasts?
08-24-2018, 10:42 AM,
Guitar enthusiasts?
I'm wondering if Logic (or Mainstage) offers better guitar sounds and options than Garageband.

Curious if anyone here dabbles with music on the Mac.  I play guitar recreationally.  I want a 1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb turned up to 7, and a Bluesbreaker similarly cranked.  But I don't want to rattle the windows or fuss with attenuators. So I bought a Vox Valvetronix. I think I paid $150 for it -- not a lot as far as amps go, and it gets a lot right, but it's got shortcomings.

I also like to futz with things.  I bought an Apogee Jam so I can plug my guitar into my Mac.  Via Garageband, I can use a variety of virtualized amps and stompboxes.  It's great for what it is, but operating a computer while playing guitar sucks.  Truth be told, I bought the Jam years ago (think iOS dock connector) and I've barely used it because of the operating a computer while playing guitar bit.

Recently I bought a refurbished Apogee Gio ($149!).  It's much closer.  I can now configure Garageband with a pedal board and operate it while playing guitar.  I can switch guitar rigs with a foot press.  It's a fun guitar rig, it works with headphones or an amp, but it still sounds like CGI from the 90s.  

Is that just where we are with digital audio modeling these days, or will an app like Mainstage open a new door?  I like experimentation and the discovery and all, but I also rather enjoy just turning shit on and having it work.

Anyway, don't know if anyone plays or has experience with it... figured I'd throw it out there.  Protips wanted.
08-27-2018, 04:50 AM,
RE: Guitar enthusiasts?
I always loved the idea of learning the guitar. While I’m sure I could physically get it down, I just don’t have a musica creativity in me at all.

TL;DR: Shrug
A massage doesn't always have to lead to sex, but if it doesn't then you're doing it wrong.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
08-27-2018, 05:03 AM,
(08-27-2018, 04:50 AM)Gippy Wrote: I always loved the idea of learning the guitar. While I’m sure I could physically get it down, I just don’t have a musica creativity in me at all.

This
08-27-2018, 12:27 PM,
I literally have a guitar but never learned to play it. I was interested in it for a little while as a kid but never got around to playing it much. I might as well set it out, it'd make a nice display piece and might guilt me into learning it again.
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
08-27-2018, 01:20 PM,
0/3
This forum delivers
A massage doesn't always have to lead to sex, but if it doesn't then you're doing it wrong.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
08-30-2018, 01:16 AM,
(08-24-2018, 10:42 AM)roo Wrote: I'm wondering if Logic (or Mainstage) offers better guitar sounds and options than Garageband.

Curious if anyone here dabbles with music on the Mac.  I play guitar recreationally.  I want a 1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb turned up to 7, and a Bluesbreaker similarly cranked.  But I don't want to rattle the windows or fuss with attenuators. So I bought a Vox Valvetronix. I think I paid $150 for it -- not a lot as far as amps go, and it gets a lot right, but it's got shortcomings.

I also like to futz with things.  I bought an Apogee Jam so I can plug my guitar into my Mac.  Via Garageband, I can use a variety of virtualized amps and stompboxes.  It's great for what it is, but operating a computer while playing guitar sucks.  Truth be told, I bought the Jam years ago (think iOS dock connector) and I've barely used it because of the operating a computer while playing guitar bit.

Recently I bought a refurbished Apogee Gio ($149!).  It's much closer.  I can now configure Garageband with a pedal board and operate it while playing guitar.  I can switch guitar rigs with a foot press.  It's a fun guitar rig, it works with headphones or an amp, but it still sounds like CGI from the 90s.  

Is that just where we are with digital audio modeling these days, or will an app like Mainstage open a new door?  I like experimentation and the discovery and all, but I also rather enjoy just turning shit on and having it work.

Anyway, don't know if anyone plays or has experience with it... figured I'd throw it out there.  Protips wanted.
My knowledge is all several years out of date :/

Best recommendation I have from when I was working in the field though is to just grab a Line6 Pod.
08-30-2018, 08:10 AM,
I remember when they were the hot thing. Not sure if they held up or not, but it's a thought.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?