It turns out that taking a stand on gun sales is OK for business.
06-01-2018, 11:36 AM,
It turns out that taking a stand on gun sales is OK for business.
Quote:“What a waste, and what a strange business model.”

That was the statement the National Rifle Association released in April after retail giant Dick’s Sporting Goods announced they would destroy their existing inventory of guns and ammunition. In February, days after the school shooting in Parkland, Florida, the company announced it would no longer sell assault-style weapons and ammunition in their stores and would raise the age to buy a gun to 21 years old.

On Wednesday, the NRA was proven wrong: during an earnings call, Dick’s revealed that first-quarter income rose 3 percent, and sales grew by 5 percent. The stronger-than-expected earnings pushed the company’s stock up by a whopping 27 percent.

Yadda yadda disclaimer uncertain cause effect speculation... but they took a stand and didn't lose. Ohnoes Salute

https://thinkprogress.org/dicks-sports-s...44df12a82/
06-02-2018, 12:48 AM,
RE: It turns out that taking a stand on gun sales is OK for business.
Dicks be selling the hell out of balls apparently.
"The 300ZX Turbo is a dance; it's a song; it's rolling, roaring automotive art. There is no color that doesn't suit it. There is no mood-lifting chemical substance it can't replace." - Automobile Magazine
06-02-2018, 12:53 AM,
"Any publicity is good publicity."
Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie

06-02-2018, 08:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-02-2018, 08:11 AM by roo.)
(06-02-2018, 12:53 AM)agedgruel Wrote: "Any publicity is good publicity."

This.

First, let's be quite clear that Dick's didn't agree to stop selling guns.  Sorry to journalism-shame the "think progress" blog, but their reporting is irresponsible.

Dick's said they'd stop selling assault rifles — not all guns, as some sources would have you believe.  But you can style buy a bad-ass looking rifle at Dick's as well as many other more sensibly priced and designed firearms.

It begs the question: how much money was Dick's making on assault rifles?  Probably none.  The PR opportunity and potential of selling yoga pants to soccer moms was worth more than having expensive, niche-market semi-automatic rifles on the shelf.

No data, just a hunch.  But you'll all agree that I tend to be right.

You might remember when CVS decided to stop selling cigarettes.  You know full well it had everything to do with PR and profit, right?  You don't think the national chain in a competitive retail space decided to drop cigarettes for social justice, right?  For fucks sake, you can still buy a case of Coke and a 10lb bag of sour patch kids in there.
06-02-2018, 12:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-02-2018, 12:46 PM by Gippy.)
Yeah, the assault rifle part was front and center in the article and my quote of the article. Those are nice links to Bolt Action rifles you provided. I don’t understand why you keep pulling out the trope of how the gun looks vs how it performs.

Not everything is perfect. I'll take improvements were I can find them. The story does decribe The owner’s reflection that brought about the decision.
A massage doesn't always have to lead to sex, but if it doesn't then you're doing it wrong.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
06-02-2018, 02:40 PM,
I think the point rather was: the NRA predicted this would be their doom, and it wasn’t. Quite the contrary (for now).
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
06-02-2018, 09:39 PM,
(06-02-2018, 12:19 PM)Gippy Wrote: Yeah, the assault rifle part was front and center in the article and my quote of the article. Those are nice links to Bolt Action rifles you provided. I don’t understand why you keep pulling out the trope of how the gun looks vs how it performs.

Not everything is perfect. I'll take improvements were I can find them. The story does decribe The owner’s reflection that brought about the decision.

For one so interested in improvements where you can find them, I'd think you'd be gleeful that I offered clarity to quote from the partisan political blog you cited so that the topic might be addressed more honestly.

And tell me more about this trope I keep pulling out. While we're making snide "I don't understand" comments, I don't understand why you think I keep referencing the appearance of firearms.
06-03-2018, 12:30 AM,
(06-02-2018, 08:09 AM)roo Wrote: But you can style buy a bad-ass looking rifle at Dick's as well as many other more sensibly priced and designed firearms
06-03-2018, 02:07 AM,
Is that single post all it takes for you to come up with "I don’t understand why you keep pulling out the trope of how the gun looks vs how it performs?"

That's sad.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
06-03-2018, 02:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-03-2018, 02:26 AM by Gippy.)
No.
Have you already forgotten the scary looking gun tropes in the previous thread?
A massage doesn't always have to lead to sex, but if it doesn't then you're doing it wrong.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
06-03-2018, 04:48 AM,
Apparently, I have.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?