All alike or mix and match?
05-27-2018, 06:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-27-2018, 06:25 PM by Alien.)
All alike or mix and match?
I'm seeking advice from the ones that know drives. That means you, Jeh.

I bought a LaCie 4big Quadra with four 1TB drives, one of which is on its last legs. Besides that, 4TB RAID5 nets 3TB, and that's a piss in the ocean. So I'm looking at scoring new drives for it, seems the sweet spot at the moment is 3TB or 4TB ones.

Anyway. Should I buy four identical ones, or would it be wise to buy four different brands/types? Same size, speed, cache, etc., of course, but as a sort of way to spread the MTBF as much as possible?
05-30-2018, 10:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-30-2018, 10:58 AM by Jehannum.)
RE: All alike or mix and match?
At this point, it doesn't matter what you pick, it's not safe.

Speed and URE rates say that when arrays fail with drives > 2TB, you're pretty fucking likely to encounter another failure while rebuilding, and an error on rebuild is the end of a RAID 5 array.

I buy identical, because I'm usually buying at once. Just check what backblaze say is sort of middle of the road for failure rates, and go with that, or if you have a surplus of dollars, go buy the big badass HGST helium drives.
"The 300ZX Turbo is a dance; it's a song; it's rolling, roaring automotive art. There is no color that doesn't suit it. There is no mood-lifting chemical substance it can't replace." - Automobile Magazine
06-07-2018, 07:18 PM,
Well, that point was certainly driven home quite nicely: apparently one of the drives is already unresponsive right out of the box. Just goes to show: RAID for availability, not security. I guess I'll swap it against two drives, just to have a spare ready when the next one fails.
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
06-08-2018, 12:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-08-2018, 12:01 AM by Jehannum.)
(06-07-2018, 07:18 PM)Alien Wrote: Well, that point was certainly driven home quite nicely: apparently one of the drives is already unresponsive right out of the box. Just goes to show: RAID for availability, not security. I guess I'll swap it against two drives, just to have a spare ready when the next one fails.

Yup, I've got the RAID-ish array at home (ZFS on 4 drives), but everything critical is backed up to whatever crashplan became after they stopped selling remote home backups, and an external drive.

The drives themselves are all WD reds, but I'm living on borrowed time at this point, so I'm probably going to build a new one come fall.
06-08-2018, 06:16 AM,
I just subscribe to Office 365 and get 1TB of cloud storage. I can access my files anywhere, and I can be reasonably sure the person maintaining the drives knows what he is doing.
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
06-08-2018, 06:57 AM,
(06-08-2018, 06:16 AM)FuturDreamz Wrote: I just subscribe to Office 365 and get 1TB of cloud storage. I can access my files anywhere, and I can be reasonably sure the person maintaining the drives knows what he is doing.

You never know. With Microsoft, the name goes on before the quality goes in.

The only thing you can count on in Microsoft products is that, unless it's a vacuum cleaner, it's going to suck.
06-08-2018, 07:39 AM,
1TB is one third of a piss in the ocean.
06-08-2018, 12:19 PM,
(06-08-2018, 07:39 AM)Alien Wrote: 1TB is one third of a piss in the ocean.

Everything actually important to me is about 75Gb or so. Everything else I can redownload from Steam or TPB.
06-09-2018, 01:49 AM,
(06-08-2018, 12:19 PM)FuturDreamz Wrote:
(06-08-2018, 07:39 AM)Alien Wrote: 1TB is one third of a piss in the ocean.

Everything actually important to me is about 75Gb or so. Everything else I can redownload from Steam or TPB.

That's great. I have about 2TB of unreplaceable data.

Much the same way not all men are Socrates, not all backup needs are created equal.
06-24-2018, 06:26 PM,
Well, a new drive was installed and it is now blinking blue and red, meaning it is reconstructing the RAID. so far, so good. The data is available, but I'm leaving it to rebuild so as not to hammer the drives and increase the chances of a second drive failing.

Next time I replace a drive, I'm switching brands. Just to have variety and spread the chances of failure a little more.
06-25-2018, 12:15 AM,
Ah, I finally remembered who did this: Backblaze publishes regular reports on HD reliability. https://www.backblaze.com/b2/hard-drive-test-data.html
A massage doesn't always have to lead to sex, but if it doesn't then you're doing it wrong.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter