iMac Pro in 2 days...
12-13-2017, 07:05 AM,
iMac Pro in 2 days...
I kinda miss having a monster computer. I've bought an Apple tower twice before and didn't regret either one.
But they were both expandable and I was able to prolong their deaths via upgrades.
The iMac Pro won't get that.

But I still want one...

Anyone want to buy me one?
12-13-2017, 07:29 AM,
RE: iMac Pro in 2 days...
I'm using my Mac Pro 1,1. I'm ready for a new Mac Pro. Not interested in the trash cans.
Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie

12-13-2017, 07:41 AM,
I wouldn't mind one of the trash cans.
The chaos army seems suspiciously well organized.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
12-13-2017, 09:16 AM,
I'm using a high-end iMac. It costs less than half of what the base-level pro is projected to cost. Safari is the most resource-intensive app I use. While I do like the black trackpad available with the pro, I'm just not seeing the value.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
12-13-2017, 11:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-13-2017, 12:00 PM by Gippy.)
For PHP and regular web dev it wouldn’t be necessary. But moving on to the JVM for Scala has made me want a beefcake machine again.
I'm actually wondering what I could build just to get a beefcake linux machine. I could probably do pretty well putting together something for about $1k. Lots of CPU & Ram, moderate graphics. Zoom!
12-13-2017, 01:34 PM,
(12-13-2017, 11:36 AM)Gippy Wrote: For PHP and regular web dev it wouldn’t be necessary. But moving on to the JVM for Scala has made me want a beefcake machine again.
I'm actually wondering what I could build just to get a beefcake linux machine. I could probably do pretty well putting together something for about $1k. Lots of CPU & Ram, moderate graphics. Zoom!

Ram's pretty expensive though. You'll be looking at $1k just for 64GB alone.
12-13-2017, 03:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-13-2017, 03:48 PM by Gippy.)
I forgot how bad Ram and video cards have gotten.

With 32GB ram, 6-core i7, cheap-ass Quadro P400, and 256GB M2 SSD I could keep it under $1500.
That'd be more than enough. 16GB and an i5 would probably be just fine and let me spring for multiple SSDs that I could raid. Though I might miss the hyperthreading, I dunno, I need to look up how the JVM compiler likes to run, and I know shit about compilers and multithreading.

I have no idea how loud it would be, though...
12-13-2017, 05:32 PM,
I wouldn't mind a trash can Pro. I'd set it up on a shelf next to my Cube and SE/30.
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
12-13-2017, 08:43 PM,
(12-13-2017, 03:40 PM)Gippy Wrote: I forgot how bad Ram and video cards have gotten.

With 32GB ram, 6-core i7, cheap-ass Quadro P400, and 256GB M2 SSD I could keep it under $1500.
That'd be more than enough. 16GB and an i5 would probably be just fine and let me spring for multiple SSDs that I could raid. Though I might miss the hyperthreading, I dunno, I need to look up how the JVM compiler likes to run, and I know shit about compilers and multithreading.

I've heard tell of using lawn maintenance tools to force air into a system... you might be able to mount say -- a leaf blower -- to the outside of your house, and install duct work to force cool air through the system.  Legend has it that you can increase your cooling fan's speed to several thousand RPM and you wouldn't need to draw power from an internal bus keeping the internal power supply hum to a minimal level.  Except for a slight whine of the fan, most of the noise would be isolated outside of the house.
12-14-2017, 12:17 AM,
(12-13-2017, 03:40 PM)Gippy Wrote: I forgot how bad Ram and video cards have gotten.

The main thing is it is expandable. If yo get a full sized tower with a whole 8 memory slots you can eventually had a fuckton of storage and maybe 128GB of ram. If it has a bunch of PCIe slots you can add a lot of high speed SSDs that way.

Why'd you pick a Quadro though? and would a Ryzen 7 be of consideration? they can be a lot cheaper and have lots of cores.
12-14-2017, 12:26 AM,
Gotta watch out the massive ram banks, though. A lot of systems will clock down the ram if there are many sticks. You’re better off with a few big sticks. I have no idea why, this kinda stupid.

Quadro is a good baseline 2D workhorse that’ll drive multiple displays. I don’t need 3D. And it comes in the low hundreds for cost. I don’t think I’d go with Ryzen, personally. It’s great for tinkerers but I’d be looking for stability.
12-14-2017, 12:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-14-2017, 01:49 AM by Gippy.)
(12-13-2017, 08:43 PM)roo Wrote:

I've heard tell of using lawn maintenance tools to force air into a system... you might be able to mount say -- a leaf blower -- to the outside of your house, and install duct work to force cool air through the system.  Legend has it that you can increase your cooling fan's speed to several thousand RPM and you wouldn't need to draw power from an internal bus keeping the internal power supply hum to a minimal level.  Except for a slight whine of the fan, most of the noise would be isolated outside of the house.

Clubbie

But, however, this is California. And I'm sure that leaf blowers contain something known by the state of California to cause cancer. So I'd more likely have to do something sustainable like geo-thermal. Ya know, be green and shit.
12-14-2017, 03:14 AM,
(12-14-2017, 12:27 AM)Gippy Wrote:
(12-13-2017, 08:43 PM)roo Wrote:

Clubbie

But, however, this is California. And I'm sure that leaf blowers contain something known by the state of California to cause cancer. So I'd more likely have to do something sustainable like geo-thermal. Ya know, be green and shit.

I'm not sure how a shit-based cooling system would work.  It seems like once you get to the temperature for shit to change phase, you'd be well beyond the thermal limits of the processor.
12-14-2017, 08:33 AM,
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urohidrosis

Seems possible. Especially with a seemingly infinite supply of material.
12-15-2017, 07:35 AM,
I do want to see the teardown of the iMac Pro. The Vega GPUs have powerful cooling systems on the card versions, and I want to see if Apple put in a proper cooling system or if they will be relying on downlockinf to keep things uselessly thin
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
12-15-2017, 07:40 AM,
This wasn’t hard to find…

[Image: imac_pro_internals.png?itok=waElrUhs]
12-15-2017, 08:38 AM,
But how loud is it? How thick are those channels? That heat sink looks to be a third or half of the size of the coolers that most GTX 1080s ship with - and it's bein shared with the CPU. It might be fine depending on the airflow, but will Apple have to choose noise over useability?

I'll wait until the more thorough review.
12-15-2017, 09:13 AM,
...and then not buy one? What the fuck do you care about any of this?
Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie

12-15-2017, 09:53 AM,
(12-15-2017, 09:13 AM)agedgruel Wrote: ...and then not buy one? What the fuck do you care about any of this?

Are you an idiot? Because I want to know if I can point and laugh.
12-15-2017, 10:10 AM,
I'm sure that Apple figured out a way to NOT have a leafblower involved.
12-15-2017, 10:42 AM,

12-15-2017, 10:42 AM,
I wish I'd photoshopped that
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
12-15-2017, 10:59 AM,
(12-15-2017, 10:42 AM)roo Wrote: I wish I'd photoshopped that

Even Google AdSense knows you're petty.
12-15-2017, 01:24 PM,
cough
12-15-2017, 02:00 PM,
I don't think Roo knows the difference between a Focus and a Fiesta.