hosting sucks.
09-27-2017, 10:20 AM,
hosting sucks.
Hosting doesn't suck.  My life around hosting sucks.  I have a VPS.  I'm honestly just tired of it.  I don't upgrade my packages as often as I should.  Shit breaks.  And it's an old VPS. 512MB of RAM for ~$25/mo... that's lousy. I've got a bunch of domains on it, but I'm not moving any amount of traffic (and won't be) so my needs are exceptionally modest. And that's just the web.  

I've got email on rackspace.  Why rackspace?  It was cheap with the hosting. It was $1 per box per month.  Great. They switched it to a $10 minimum.  I guess it's still cheap as far as it goes, but I don't feel like I'm getting a good value.  I have three email addresses. Two belong to family members.  And I don't want 7 more to maximize the value.

So what would you do?  Google is right out.

I could go back to a dreamhost account or some other oversold reseller.  I like shell access, but I also like CPanel and I like it when someone else upgrades my package (I mean, who doesn't?).  I could get a Linode VPS.  But it seems like they're always in the news for having downtime.  I could move to AWS, but everyone's eggs are already in that basket, and I prefer to zig where others zag. And I don't want to have to think about all the server architecture shit they want you to think about.

And then what do I do with email? Sure, I like the idea of using some hardcore nerdy service that's hardened and encrypted but the reality of it is that I don't know anyone else who uses PGP as it is, so why should I bother?

And don't get me started with my phone number.

I guess I just want stuff that works. Stuff that'll always work. Stuff that someone else makes sure that it works.
09-27-2017, 12:15 PM,
RE: hosting sucks.
Ultimately I’d love for docker to work out. Let someone else define the OS and let me deploy an application.
The chaos army seems suspiciously well organized.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
09-27-2017, 12:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-27-2017, 12:19 PM by Gippy.)
But I’m happy with my shitty dreamhost Account. I have shell access. I get minor version bumps for free. And I just write in PHP so it is super portable.
09-27-2017, 08:47 PM,
I hadn't thought about Docker, but like you, I'm not doing anything fancy, so portability isn't an issue. Docker would end up being the least portable thing in the stack.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
09-28-2017, 12:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-28-2017, 12:27 AM by Gippy.)
The other important thing to me is lack of maintenance for the other things as well. No DB management, no backup configuration, no balancers to think about, DNS is easy, no security group mess, networking is just there, HA is taken care of, security vulnerabilities are patched (I hope), etc, etc, etc... and billing is straight forward.

In case of disaster someone else restores the server.

I'm also getting lazy. I don't think I have proper backups of this joint.
09-28-2017, 12:33 AM,
You manage plenty of DBs here.
Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie

09-29-2017, 12:03 AM,
Dick Brains?
09-29-2017, 12:20 AM,
I was going for douchebags. But either works.
Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie

09-29-2017, 12:35 AM,
[Image: 640px-Deutsche_Bahn_AG-Logo.svg.png]
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
09-29-2017, 01:15 AM,
[Image: db-sweeney-0.7.jpg]