iTunes Radio: I think it's epic fail, how about you?
09-20-2013, 09:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-20-2013, 09:07 PM by roo.)
Bug  iTunes Radio: I think it's epic fail, how about you?
What is up with the limit skips paradigm?

I tried it. I went through three stations and 18 skips in probably half an hour. Either let me skip with impunity or don't let me skip at all. I'm OK with changing radio stations, I've been doing it for a long time and I'm comfortable with it. Is this the only model we have for internet radio? I mean, sure. I'm not likely to skip whatever crap Passion Pit track they're passing as music if I'm away from my Mac doing some task, but then I'm sure as hell not going to run back and pay $1.29 for something I like. It strikes me as lose / lose.

wxpn does a great thing with its terrestrial radio. http://www.xpn.org/playlists/xponential-radio-playlist They play their music, and then publish a playlist with links to buy the tracks. I have actually sat at my computer and looked up the song I heard hours ago to go buy it.

You know what I want? Radio that hooks into my genius data. Apple knows what I listen to. They could give me preset stations that I'd like. Instead, it gives me: iTunes Pure Pop, Katy Perry, Pepsi™ PULSE Pop, Jared Leto, iTunes Festival... ugh. it's like a network TV sports half time show that I don't want to watch for fear of seeing a Jackson boob. Why don't they offer me stations of shit I listen to and branch out from there? I'd click into classic rock, modern rock / alternative (though my six skips were used up fast with their alternative, but that's OK), or I'd even click into punk or bluegrass or motown. But holy shit I do not want a barrage of dumb pop music playlists.

And how about more than a cover? Now that skipping is a precious commodity, how about the cover shot of Katy Perry trying to look somehow smarter than me and judgy be accompanied by a few track titles so I can get a better sense of whether I want to even try it? Because there's not a chance in hell that I'm going to click Pepsi™ PULSE Pop. I mean, who is this Jared Leto fellow with his sculpted beard and John Stamos stare? Why should I care about his play list?

Honestly, Apple. This is a Pandora clone and it sucks. If you can't do it better, don't do it.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
09-20-2013, 10:20 PM,
RE: iTunes Radio: I think it's epic fail, how about you?
So, it's not buggy, just badly implemented?

Is this with or without an iTunes Match subscription?
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
09-20-2013, 11:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-20-2013, 11:50 PM by roo.)
without Match. I don't know why I'd ever want iTunes match.

So I tried, on a lark, to listen to Jon Stamos's station. The first track is the guy talking to me. Introducing his selections. It was a minute and a half long, and I made it 20 seconds before pressing the forward key on my keyboard. Apparently, like DVD warning screens, you can't skip it. Also like DVD warning screens, it's of zero interest to me.

So 30 seconds into this guy's blah blah blah, I closed the radio station.

ugh.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
09-21-2013, 12:07 AM,
(09-20-2013, 11:49 PM)roo Wrote: without Match. I don't know why I'd ever want iTunes match.
I have Match, because, for the time being, downloading is still legal in the Netherlands. So, combined with iTunes Match, this has enabled me to establish a huge collection of perfectly legally acquired music in iTunes Store quality.

Plus, I like that artists get money whenever I play their song off of iCloud, like with airplay. That's cool.
09-21-2013, 03:05 AM,
paying for match will remove ads from itunes radio.
grinding is only fun in co-op
09-21-2013, 03:25 AM,
So I've heard. I wonder if it also removes other restrictions.
09-21-2013, 04:25 AM,
the skip limit is still there. bleh
grinding is only fun in co-op
09-21-2013, 04:33 AM,
WASTEOFMONEY

Also

LEMONS < /beddy >
Obscurum veritas defensor

Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie
09-21-2013, 04:52 AM,
For internet radio, I stream actual radio stations. Some are internet only.
09-21-2013, 05:33 AM,
Spotify has none of these issues, if you are willing to do the legwork of figuring out what you want to listen to for your damn self.
09-21-2013, 05:42 AM,
Ok, so iTunes Radio is not a "play any song in the iTunes catalogue at will" type deal?

Weak.
09-21-2013, 05:48 AM,
No,

Its the music industry and Apple making money off of streaming royalties thing.
09-21-2013, 05:57 AM,
Welcome to Obama's America.
smapdi Wrote:I do declare that losing one's anal virginity sure is a memorable time.
09-21-2013, 06:06 AM,
(09-21-2013, 05:33 AM)tobobo Wrote: Spotify has none of these issues, if you are willing to do the legwork of figuring out what you want to listen to for your damn self.

I already have thousands of songs that I figured out to listen to. The whole point of this "radio" thing is to hear new stuff, right? You might be happy with Katy Perry, Guest DJ, but I'm VERY UNHAPPY Shovel
09-21-2013, 06:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-21-2013, 06:55 AM by more or less.)
I'm not sure but I thought Slacker or some service based itself off your library if you submitted it? It may have been rdio or that service Apple bought and destroyed.

I cannot begin to describe the collusion and coruption that exists between Apple and the music industry. It will make the eBook anti-trust look like chicken shit if it ever hits the light of day (its already happening in select trials). It's flat out tragic how most the labels have been stealing from their artists, let alone the cut Apple takes from a sale. And I don't know if eMusic is any much better for the artists either.

I just know its all really fucked up.
09-21-2013, 07:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-21-2013, 07:03 AM by tobobo.)
(09-21-2013, 06:06 AM)roo Wrote:
(09-21-2013, 05:33 AM)tobobo Wrote: Spotify has none of these issues, if you are willing to do the legwork of figuring out what you want to listen to for your damn self.

I already have thousands of songs that I figured out to listen to. The whole point of this "radio" thing is to hear new stuff, right? You might be happy with Katy Perry, Guest DJ, but I'm VERY UNHAPPY Shovel

Spotify has radio stations, if you want to just sit back and let an algorithm decide what you hear. They offer album and song suggestions with the "discovery" feature which I've found to contain excellent suggestions in my experience. Listening to Internet radio feels comparably like I'm lost at sea.

Plus, I can play anything that's not in Spotify's library by adding my own mp3s. iTunes lets you do this... Most other Internet streaming services do not.
09-21-2013, 07:56 AM,
vTuner, via my Pioneer receivers app attached. You can also create a playlist of streams from within iTunes and also by dragging shoutcast .pls files in. PRO TIP.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

09-21-2013, 08:59 AM,
I USE SONOS
09-21-2013, 09:00 AM,
(09-21-2013, 08:59 AM)roo Wrote: I USE SONOS

Sonos definitely has Spotify support.

What was the question again?
09-21-2013, 09:10 AM,
(09-21-2013, 08:59 AM)roo Wrote: I USE [POSEUR]

ftfy
09-21-2013, 10:31 PM,
(09-21-2013, 09:10 AM)more or less Wrote:

ftfy

Not for nothing, but you just got done criticizing me for being an Apple ecosystem fanboi, and Sonos is an ENTIRELY SEPARATE ECOSYSTEM that doesn't really like Apple's.

I think you're just jelly because you're still rocking a component stereo system that is reminiscent of a console record player with FM radio. Did you say you connect to your "tuner"? Way to rock the house there, Risky Business.
09-22-2013, 03:02 AM,
I miss my record player.
A massage doesn't always have to lead to sex, but if it doesn't then you're doing it wrong.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
09-22-2013, 04:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-22-2013, 04:04 AM by more or less.)
(09-21-2013, 10:31 PM)roo Wrote:
(09-21-2013, 09:10 AM)more or less Wrote:

ftfy

Not for nothing, but you just got done criticizing me for being an Apple ecosystem fanboi, and Sonos is an ENTIRELY SEPARATE ECOSYSTEM that doesn't really like Apple's.

I think you're just jelly because you're still rocking a component stereo system that is reminiscent of a console record player with FM radio. Did you say you connect to your "tuner"? Way to rock the house there, Risky Business.

Hee! No I do really think it is overpriced for what it does. But they do have an app and I think/hope that is a cool way to use it.

No, I doubt you would recall the miscellancy of my prior audio setup, but I had repurposed an iBook as an iTunes jukebox. That's all it did (pre airplay). Also, when SONOS came out I couldn't afford it. Nor would. I have likely bought if I could have.

To me it's like the Bose Wave radio, sort of for people who drive Lincoln Continentals. I assume you have yours integrated into your home component system?

Also, I didn't have anything in my apt that could pick up local radio, and I do like radio from time to time and wanted something not a home theatre to plug my shit into. So, I quite recently bought a big old school back component receiver. To my surprise, its all internety and had an internet radio tuner, vTuner, also built in. What's nice about it, is I can navigate the tuner via the app on my phone.

It was also only $199.
09-22-2013, 04:24 AM,
I own two tuners, two Technics 1200 turn tables (da bomb!) and a TERK stereo antenna so you trolls can sit on that and spin.
more or less wrote Wrote:I am commonly referred to as a meth addled closet homo.
09-22-2013, 04:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-22-2013, 04:30 AM by more or less.)
Do you also have a microphone? BECAUSE THEN YOU'D HAVE TWO TURNTABLES AND A MICROPHONE.