Treefort54 Party Headquarters

Full Version: It has a headphone jack.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't see any full USB or a SD card reader though. Hope you weren't too keen on them anyways.

And it actually has no power button. It turns on when you open the lid, and you press and hold the touchID thing to power it off.

When i was a kid (like when i was 5 or something) i had a nightmare about a sink faucet that wouldn't turn off, and actually called the police because an old cordless phone was continually beeping because it's battery was low and needed to be recharged. Of course now that I'm older i know that i just had to put it on the cradle, but i still have a mild aversion to items that cannot be easily turned off. I wonder if there might be anyone else like that... Though what are the chances that people will not be able to tell the difference between full power off and sleep mode on a laptop with an SSD, or realize that you just need to hold down the unmarked button?
I can understand the button can't-turn-it-off anxiety thing. Turning off someone else's television pisses me off because the button is always hiding somewhere on the back and my fingers blindly search through century old dust because everyone uses the remote to turn it off which I've already tried but doesn't work because I need "the other" remote which has disappeared probably between the ass crack of one of the three couches.
I can't remember the last time I shut down my Mac. I just close the lid and off I go.

My only apprehension is the Touchbar. Why isn't it on every Apple keyboard? I can imagine it being useful, but I can also imagine it not being useful. I'm semi desperate to update at this point, so I'll probably pull the trigger, but I'm not excited about it like I should be. Honestly, Microsoft's hardware is more interesting to me than Apple's. Maybe that's because Tim Cook bores me and Jony Ive irritates me.
FWIW, I also think it's weird that it has a headphone jack. I mean, I realize that most users use headphones with their macs... definitely at work, many also at home. So there's strong demand for that jack, but I'm surprised that they didn't go the dongle route. I guess that's the difference between Steve and Tim. Steve knew how to move forward -- when floppys were dead, they were dead. When optical was dead, it was dead. When firewire 400 was dead, it was dead. When Dock Connector was dead, it was dead.

Tim, OTOH, just lumbers along haphazardly with not apparent sense of direction.
A co-worker brought in his windows laptop that has a keyboard and touchscreen, and the screen detaches to be a tablet. I can't say that the tablet thing is cool, but having a touch screen is kinda cool.
(10-28-2016, 09:01 PM)roo Wrote: [ -> ]FWIW, I also think it's weird that it has a headphone jack.  I mean, I realize that most users use headphones with their macs... definitely at work, many also at home.  So there's strong demand for that jack, but I'm surprised that they didn't go the dongle route.
On the Macbook, that is also the digital audio port. Macs are popular in musicians' circles. The iPhone… less so. Also, the Macbook didn't need to be waterproofed.
(10-29-2016, 03:37 AM)Alien Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-28-2016, 09:01 PM)roo Wrote: [ -> ]FWIW, I also think it's weird that it has a headphone jack.  I mean, I realize that most users use headphones with their macs... definitely at work, many also at home.  So there's strong demand for that jack, but I'm surprised that they didn't go the dongle route.
On the Macbook, that is also the digital audio port. Macs are popular in musicians' circles. The iPhone… less so. Also, the Macbook didn't need to be waterproofed.

I don't disagree with your logic, but it's not what Steve would have done.  Steve would have made USB-C the digital audio port and that's all there is to it.  Logical, insane, or otherwise, it's bold, simple, and consistent, and we love it.
Would he have put a lightning port on the MacBook? Make it the default charger port and make macOS compatible with the iOS accessories.
(10-29-2016, 02:54 AM)Gippy Wrote: [ -> ]A co-worker brought in his windows laptop that has a keyboard and touchscreen, and the screen detaches to be a tablet. I can't say that the tablet thing is cool, but having a touch screen is kinda cool.

I suppose they want to keep their MacBook line as different from the iPad as possible. The TouchBar seems to be a compromise. It could be good. 

Now, what I want is an iMac with a full touch screen similar to Microsoft Surface Studio because I want to draw on my screen dammit! It's bound to happen at some point.
(10-29-2016, 01:23 PM)shoeman Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-29-2016, 02:54 AM)Gippy Wrote: [ -> ]A co-worker brought in his windows laptop that has a keyboard and touchscreen, and the screen detaches to be a tablet. I can't say that the tablet thing is cool, but having a touch screen is kinda cool.

I suppose they want to keep their MacBook line as different from the iPad as possible. The TouchBar seems to be a compromise. It could be good. 

Now, what I want is an iMac with a full touch screen similar to Microsoft Surface Studio because I want to draw on my screen dammit! It's bound to happen at some point.

I'm not so sure about that. Apple has repeatedly insisted that they will keep macOS and iOS separate.

I really don't understand their reasoning. It makes cross-platform compatibility amazing. I use my Win10 desktop as a desktop and there's no touchy shit in the way (unlike Windows 8), yet my cheapass 10" tablet does everything pretty much as easily as a iPad. Hell, all the Store apps can be brought to the Xbox, and run on the Hololens as-is.

I'll admit it's not perfect. The file manager isn't as touch friendly, for example. But that's all legacy shit. I really think Apple could've found a way to unify the two OSs. The iPad Pro could've been the perfect laptop killer - if it could do everything a laptop could do. Give it a bottom half like the Surface book, and the access that people need - like a goddamn sd card slot.

Apple could've done so much, and pretty much has the clout to do so. They could've forced printer manufacturers to standardize their drivers so you can use your iPad WIRED without downloading a big and glitchy blob. But it's like they choose not to, instead they are stuck following the exact same procedures for eternity. "Make it thin!" "Make it simple!" "Make it marketable!" it's like the entire top management are afraid to find new ways to innovate, instead worshiping Steve Jobs and taking his demands as gospel. But I really don't know if this would be what Steve jobs wants. The first thing he did when he came back to the company was shut down all of Apple's side projects and focus on Computers. He did start the branch to iPods then iPhones and iPads, but I think his intention was to migrate over to them and embrace the future they only hinted at. If he wasn't dying, I sincerely think he would've initiated a transition like what Windows went through - where there is only one OS, from the Mac Pro to the iPhone. He might have even ported all Macs to the in-house chips and dropped Intel. Maybe even actually got Continuum working; so you could wirelessly link your iPhone to a tablet screen at home or on the go, and plug it into a desktop with an eGPU at work to do heavier processing desktop work.

I think Steve Jobs would've given you One Device that Just Works for all, instead of many devices with a range and limit of use-case scenarios. But sadly that is not this Apple. I don't know what this Apple's future is, except to solely exist as a marketing machine.
No.

The eraser holds me up on that front.  I'm a pencil guy, and no eraser has kept me away from all the digital pen stuff.  And the UX of a pencil is pretty great.  It'd be tough to nail down digitally, particularly at the price point of a pencil.
(10-29-2016, 09:47 PM)roo Wrote: [ -> ]

The eraser holds me up on that front.  I'm a pencil guy, and no eraser has kept me away from all the digital pen stuff.  And the UX of a pencil is pretty great.  It'd be tough to nail down digitally, particularly at the price point of a pencil.

Comparing something to what it's emulating isn't always fair.   A digital pencil will never be a real pencil but it does have a better drawing experience than a mouse. 
Fair enough. But it still needs a good eraser.
How do you sharpen it when the tip gets dull?
(10-29-2016, 06:17 PM)Alien Wrote: [ -> ]No.

You actually read that?
(10-30-2016, 08:01 AM)Gippy Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-29-2016, 06:17 PM)Alien Wrote: [ -> ]No.

You actually read that?

Probably not. I did imply that Apple is no longer following Steve Job's vision, so I'd expect a slightly different reaction even if he disagrees with me.

Simply saying "no" seems to imply that Alien honestly thinks this is the best Apple can do. That's a rather disappointing stance to hold.
hey, I wonder if someone will sell a laptop case with a foam insert that keeps all your dongles organized? Honestly If I had no choice but to get a new macbook I think I'd prefer to get one. Instead of digging around for the right one just unsnap the tray lid, grab the right dongle by muscle memory, then push it back into place when done.

[Image: F1M-00864-2d.jpg]
In the real world, I carry a Mini Display Port to VGA dongle and a Thunderbolt to Ethernet dongle. I have never used the Ethernet dongle, and I haven't used VGA in a good long while due to wireless display technologies and HDMI cables.

If had a new MBP, I'd carry an HDMI dongle and a USB-A dongle. That'd be it. Carrying around a portfolio of adapters, while perhaps an amusing thought, is neither sensible nor practical.

I'd have a USB-A hub at my desk to connect existing peripherals, and that'd be that.

The move to USB-C isn't that big of a deal from a practical day-to-day perspective. Apple's leadership is the real problem.

[Image: Apple-Design-2016.jpg]
(10-28-2016, 08:58 PM)roo Wrote: [ -> ]I can't remember the last time I shut down my Mac.  I just close the lid and off I go.

My only apprehension is the Touchbar.  Why isn't it on every Apple keyboard?  I can imagine it being useful, but I can also imagine it not being useful.  I'm semi desperate to update at this point, so I'll probably pull the trigger, but I'm not excited about it like I should be.  Honestly, Microsoft's hardware is more interesting to me than Apple's.  Maybe that's because Tim Cook bores me and Jony Ive irritates me.

I can't imagine that the touch bar will have wide support being on only the MacBook pro.