Splitting up California
05-02-2014, 04:06 AM,
Splitting up California
I know it is unlikely to ever happen, but this is how I would split up California -

[Image: NewStates_zpsd8a6304a.png]

Top three counties would join Oregon or the southern counties in Oregon could join them to make the new state of Jefferson they've been wanting for decades (they desire for it is really strong in some of those counties)

The counties in the Sierra mountains (plus Lassen county which technically is Cascades) would form a state I'd probably call Sierra but whatever they want to call themselves.

The counties along the northern coast and the valley would be Northern California.

The counties in the south part of the state would be Southern California.

I think this model would give better representation to much of California's population, right now politics for the state are dictated by L.A. and S.F.

It actually would probably increase the influence of L.A. and S.F. at federal level because there would be four senators instead of two for those urban areas, but it would also give a senate voice to those who really are from a different world than the major metropolitan areas.

I know it is unlikely to ever happen, new states need to be approved by congress and congress is controlled by political parties, not the people, and political parties are only interested in changes that advance the party, not representation of the people.

But it would be nice.
Welcome to the dark side. Are you surprised we lied about having cookies?
05-02-2014, 04:52 AM,
RE: Splitting up California
Similarly, I hear there is a movement by the lunatic fringe to split Colorado.
Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie

05-02-2014, 06:14 AM,
Florida too, from what I understand.

I think it is pretty clear there is a failure of government to listen, with so many people across the country feeling so without representation.
05-02-2014, 07:27 AM,
Government listens. If you've got enough money.
Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie

05-02-2014, 09:00 AM,
(05-02-2014, 07:27 AM)agedgruel Wrote: Government listens. If you've got enough money.

That's one of the problems, the other is that in states that have both highly populated urban areas and rural areas, it tends to be the highly populated urban areas that have a voice, both at the state and federal level. The rural areas (like Modoc County in California) - their voice and needs are simply ignored but they are still expected to pay taxes for their land.
05-02-2014, 09:43 AM,
Maybe we should give more votes to landowners.
smapdi Wrote:I do declare that losing one's anal virginity sure is a memorable time.
05-02-2014, 11:43 AM,
This is just a no brainer. Res wins yet another thread with unmatched wisdom.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
05-02-2014, 11:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-02-2014, 11:46 AM by FunkyRes.)
Wins? I didn't realize there was any kind of a contest going on. Nor have I seen anything I disagree with in this thread (other than what was obviously landowner vote sarcasm, but I only disagree if taken seriously), so there also was no argument that I saw.

What was there to win?
05-02-2014, 11:52 AM,
SUSTAINED EPIC WIN
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
05-02-2014, 01:56 PM,
Thinking about it, have Feinstein or Boxer ever visited any of the areas I have listed for Jefferson or Sierra to talk with the people the are suppose to represent who live there?

I'm guessing they must have, it's their job to represent those people too, but so far I haven't been able to find reference to it.
05-02-2014, 09:04 PM,
I know, right? The outrage doesn't stop!
05-03-2014, 01:12 AM,
(05-02-2014, 04:06 AM)FunkyRes Wrote: The counties in the Sierra mountains (plus Lassen county which technically is Cascades) would form a state I'd probably call Sierra but whatever they want to call themselves.

I think it's really generous of you to let them decide what to call themselves.

I vote for "Sierra Leone," just to mess with people's heads.
------------------------------------------------
Everything went to hell after Empire.
05-03-2014, 02:09 AM,
I'll be damned if I let the gubmint put another state in between me and Portland. this is BULLSHIT
05-03-2014, 04:38 AM,
I thought the plan was for 6 states rather than 3. Shrug
05-03-2014, 05:21 AM,
"plan"
05-03-2014, 07:34 AM,
(05-03-2014, 04:38 AM)exoguy Wrote: I thought the plan was for 6 states rather than 3. Shrug

There have been many plans. The above is how I would split it, the only influence I had from others was Jefferson, currently those pushing for Jefferson want a larger chunk of NorCal but originally it was just those counties I showed plus Lassen, and I think that's better.

Doesn't really matter, congress has to approve the creation of new states and congress won't. It would give more representation to the west coast and the east coast likes their unfair share.
05-03-2014, 07:45 AM,
Sounds like you hate urban areas.
more or less wrote Wrote:I am commonly referred to as a meth addled closet homo.
05-03-2014, 07:51 AM,
Pacifica should be its own nation.
05-03-2014, 08:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-03-2014, 08:44 AM by FunkyRes.)
(05-03-2014, 07:45 AM)bedstuy Wrote: Sounds like you hate urban areas.

No, I rather enjoy them. I just think rural areas need fair representation as well.

Urban areas should not dictate policy for people with completely different needs and circumstances. That's what often happens in CA where L.A. and SF pretty much dictate all the politics in the state.

I don't think that's fair. I don't think that's democracy.

Look at it this way.

Many of you have expressed you don't think the United States should dictate policy of other nations.

Scale that down and it's the same issue.
05-04-2014, 02:40 AM,
Um, no.
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
05-04-2014, 02:52 AM,
(05-04-2014, 02:40 AM)Alien Wrote: Um, no.

How is it different?

It's one group ascerting their values and philosophies and way of doing things upon another.

Exactly what people don't like the US doing to other cultures.
05-04-2014, 05:33 AM,
No.
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
05-04-2014, 09:59 AM,
Please explain the difference.
05-04-2014, 10:16 AM,
But is it true that rural California really has different values and philosophies from urban California? Sure, opinion polls will yield different results in rural regions vs. urban ones, but the differences aren't that extreme, are they?

If you're thinking these breakaway states would have lower taxes and less government, sure, they probably would vote to have those things. And then they'd probably wind up like those Southern states that Democrats love to constantly cite as examples of how and why Republican policies lead to poverty and ruin.
05-04-2014, 10:18 AM,
(05-04-2014, 09:59 AM)FunkyRes Wrote: Please explain the difference.

Not getting what you want all the time is different from not having a voice.
"The 300ZX Turbo is a dance; it's a song; it's rolling, roaring automotive art. There is no color that doesn't suit it. There is no mood-lifting chemical substance it can't replace." - Automobile Magazine