Tom's Hardware - hi-fi PC testing
02-28-2014, 03:14 AM,
Tom's Hardware - hi-fi PC testing
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/high...,3733.html

It's a long read but is a very interesting read and the results are quite revealing.

Basically they test hi-fi audio set-ups on the PC from a $2.00 IC chip on the motherboard to $2,000 external setups.
Welcome to the dark side. Are you surprised we lied about having cookies?
02-28-2014, 03:36 AM,
RE: Tom's Hardware - hi-fi PC testing
Whaa
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
02-28-2014, 03:37 AM,
Quote:Using world-class headphones, a $2 Realtek integrated audio codec could not be reliably distinguished from the $2000 Benchmark DAC2 HGC in a four-device round-up. Again, all four devices sounded great. The same might not apply to full-sized speakers; we can't say, since we didn't test them. But as far as some of the best headphones in the world go, we stand by these test results.

That's what I found to be quite shocking.
02-28-2014, 03:43 AM,
People use headphones to listen to music from a PC?
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
02-28-2014, 04:20 AM,
(02-28-2014, 03:43 AM)FuturDreamz Wrote: People use headphones to listen to music from a PC?

Why wouldn't they?
02-28-2014, 04:27 AM,
(02-28-2014, 03:37 AM)FunkyRes Wrote:
Quote:Using world-class headphones, a $2 Realtek integrated audio codec could not be reliably distinguished from the $2000 Benchmark DAC2 HGC in a four-device round-up. Again, all four devices sounded great. The same might not apply to full-sized speakers; we can't say, since we didn't test them. But as far as some of the best headphones in the world go, we stand by these test results.
LIES
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
02-28-2014, 04:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-28-2014, 04:47 AM by Jehannum.)
(02-28-2014, 03:37 AM)FunkyRes Wrote:

Not that shocking, unless the realtek is doing something startlingly wrong. The ALC889 (built into older Nvidia chipsets, like my old GT 430) has been around for a half a decade now (even longer, if you look at its predecessor, the ALC883, which shipped on Nforce boards all the way back to 2000). It's had a lot of time to mature.

Plus, headphones are a poor way to evaluate sound quality. But, since that's how most computers are listened to, it's not really that surprising that they used them.

This is the industry that sells people "directional" ethernet cables, remember.

(02-28-2014, 03:43 AM)FuturDreamz Wrote: People use headphones to listen to music from a PC?
All the time, at work.
"The 300ZX Turbo is a dance; it's a song; it's rolling, roaring automotive art. There is no color that doesn't suit it. There is no mood-lifting chemical substance it can't replace." - Automobile Magazine
02-28-2014, 04:53 AM,
I share an office with 5 other people, so yes.
Geesie wrote Wrote:You probably support organized labor until a strike inconveniences you too. That's what we like to call "San Francisco Values".
02-28-2014, 04:57 AM,
Well I suppose it makes sense if you work in a cubicle.
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
02-28-2014, 05:13 AM,
As far as grad student offices go, it's pretty nice.
Geesie wrote Wrote:You probably support organized labor until a strike inconveniences you too. That's what we like to call "San Francisco Values".
02-28-2014, 08:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-28-2014, 08:17 AM by whiterabbit.)
chikiepoo Wrote: As far as grad student offices go, it's pretty nice.

That might not be very far off.

FuturDreamz Wrote: Well I suppose it makes sense if you work in a cubicle.

Thanks for the information.
Internet is my rabbit hole
02-28-2014, 08:27 AM,
claim'd
02-28-2014, 08:33 AM,
chikiepoo Wrote: claim'd

Can you tell me any gossip?
02-28-2014, 09:55 AM,
Postbot?
02-28-2014, 10:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-28-2014, 10:30 AM by more or less.)
The myth of hi-end hifi gear is that more money must be better - especially with a DAC. Most of the cost difference is actually due to the economics (scales) of production.

That said, the unspoken part of the test is the importance of the headphone amp and how well your "cans" are matched.

I have sennheisers designed for a portable player, and I probably prefer them to my hifi setup as they are so light and comfortable, in spite of the richness my audio technicas and now dead hd sennheisers had.

I like the sounds of my computer speakers so much, I have been using them in my living room over a proper 5.1 setup. They perform well at mid range loudness.
02-28-2014, 11:18 AM,
Who, specifically, perform well at mid range loudness?
02-28-2014, 11:50 AM,
That's an interesting question.
02-28-2014, 11:55 AM,
(02-28-2014, 11:18 AM)whiterabbit Wrote: Who, specifically, perform well at mid range loudness?
Your mom was definitely beyond mid range loudness last night, when we ran a train on her, Spammer scum.
"The 300ZX Turbo is a dance; it's a song; it's rolling, roaring automotive art. There is no color that doesn't suit it. There is no mood-lifting chemical substance it can't replace." - Automobile Magazine
02-28-2014, 12:31 PM,
Ok I will add that fact about YOUR MOTHER to my database.
02-28-2014, 12:35 PM,
That is actually rather fucking awesome.
02-28-2014, 12:48 PM,
more or less Wrote: That is actually rather fucking awesome.

Thanks for explaining fucking awesome.
02-28-2014, 12:57 PM,
(02-28-2014, 12:48 PM)whiterabbit Wrote:
more or less Wrote: That is actually rather fucking awesome.

Thanks for explaining fucking awesome.

Do you have large, full breasts?
02-28-2014, 11:36 PM,
(02-28-2014, 04:57 AM)FuturDreamz Wrote: Well I suppose it makes sense if you work in a cubicle.

Or if your headphones are higher quality than your computer speakers which doesn't take much.
smapdi Wrote:I do declare that losing one's anal virginity sure is a memorable time.
03-01-2014, 04:51 AM,
There's also apparently an issue with low tones, with normal speakers there will be distortion caused by the harmonics of the room but those issues don't exist with headphones.

Personally I doubt I could identify such distortion but some people can, or at least claim to be able to.
03-01-2014, 07:06 AM,
(03-01-2014, 04:51 AM)FunkyRes Wrote: There's also apparently an issue with low tones, with normal speakers there will be distortion caused by the harmonics of the room but those issues don't exist with headphones.

Personally I doubt I could identify such distortion but some people can, or at least claim to be able to.

Low tones are distorted in headphones by being mostly absent.