Attention whore thread
02-02-2014, 09:09 AM,
Attention whore thread
Since there's no random spam thread, I thought I'd just shit this one up for you.

Apparently the best way to make the kids to take a nap is to enroll them in ski lessons.

[Image: IMG_0029.JPG]

Mountaintop selfie
[Image: IMG_0031.JPG]

The trip home was very quiet.
[Image: IMG_0032.JPG]
"The 300ZX Turbo is a dance; it's a song; it's rolling, roaring automotive art. There is no color that doesn't suit it. There is no mood-lifting chemical substance it can't replace." - Automobile Magazine
02-02-2014, 09:15 AM,
RE: Attention whore thread
Aw nice! What ski area is that?
02-02-2014, 09:18 AM,
(02-02-2014, 09:15 AM)tobobo Wrote: Aw nice! What ski area is that?

Santa Fe.

They make a lot of their own snow, which was great for the wife and I. She's not that great, so the temptation to lead her onto the steep, bumpy stuff (with subsequently thinner cover) wasn't as strong as it would have been at Wolf Creek or Taos.

Still, I did get her to go down her first black diamond.
"The 300ZX Turbo is a dance; it's a song; it's rolling, roaring automotive art. There is no color that doesn't suit it. There is no mood-lifting chemical substance it can't replace." - Automobile Magazine
02-02-2014, 10:09 AM,
Today I tried skate skiing for the first time. I'm not good at that.
Clubbie
02-02-2014, 10:35 AM,
I bought a house. This week I'm replacing the copper piping with PEX. Next week will probably be the furnace. Then I'm going to learn how to repair and restore old wood sash windows and repoint brick when the weather gets nicer.
smapdi Wrote:I do declare that losing one's anal virginity sure is a memorable time.
02-02-2014, 12:13 PM,
(02-02-2014, 10:35 AM)Geesie Wrote: I bought a house. This week I'm replacing the copper piping with PEX. Next week will probably be the furnace. Then I'm going to learn how to repair and restore old wood sash windows and repoint brick when the weather gets nicer.

Why did you replace the copper?

In my continuing quest to turn my master bedroom into a sporting goods store, I've built a nice Birch ski rack (that will move to the shed, once I build a new one of those in the Spring).
02-02-2014, 12:19 PM,
(02-02-2014, 12:13 PM)Jehannum Wrote:
(02-02-2014, 10:35 AM)Geesie Wrote: I bought a house. This week I'm replacing the copper piping with PEX. Next week will probably be the furnace. Then I'm going to learn how to repair and restore old wood sash windows and repoint brick when the weather gets nicer.

In my continuing quest to turn my master bedroom into a sporting goods store, I've built a nice Birch ski rack (that will move to the shed, once I build a new one of those in the Spring).

The idiot selling the house had the heat shut off when it was in negative digits and all the pipes in the basement burst. I used this as leverage to knock the price down some more.
smapdi Wrote:I do declare that losing one's anal virginity sure is a memorable time.
02-02-2014, 02:16 PM,
(02-02-2014, 12:19 PM)Geesie Wrote:

The idiot selling the house had the heat shut off when it was in negative digits and all the pipes in the basement burst. I used this as leverage to knock the price down some more.

I wish my PO's incompetence were as immediately apparent.
02-02-2014, 11:16 PM,

I looked at a home with PEX. The water tasted like plastic. YMMV, but I'd put copper back in.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
02-03-2014, 12:29 AM,
(02-02-2014, 11:16 PM)roo Wrote:

I looked at a home with PEX. The water tasted like plastic. YMMV, but I'd put copper back in.

I've had no third-party complaints with my installation. I did notice the taste immediately after installation, but it either died down, or I became acclimated. All of my drinking water is filtered, though.
02-03-2014, 02:26 AM,
(02-02-2014, 02:16 PM)Jehannum Wrote:

I wish my PO's incompetence were as immediately apparent.

Well, this is the easy part. The real fun is the wiring. When I looked over the house, there was romex coming out of the breaker boxes and romex attached to the three prong outlets. Later I discovered K&T in the ceilings. What's in the walls? Who knows? Do I want to replace K&T in a 12 inch attic crawlspace? I really don't. But I can't put insulation up there until I do. Fuck me.
02-03-2014, 03:04 AM,
What is K&T? And unless I'm missing something Romex is just ordinary wiring.
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
02-03-2014, 04:28 AM,
Knob and Tube. Old and probably ready to crumble apart. We've still got some of that.
The chaos army seems suspiciously well organized.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
02-03-2014, 04:49 AM,
(02-03-2014, 04:28 AM)Gippy Wrote: Knob and Tube. Old and probably ready to crumble apart. We've still got some of that.

Actually, the stuff I saw was in beautiful shape. Problem is that if you extend the circuits, splice things in, or put insulation near it it can be a real fire hazard. Since I don't know what's been done in the last 110 years (and since I want better than R-8 in the attic) I have to switch to romex.
02-06-2014, 03:35 PM,
We have PolyB in our house. It is properly installed, with metal fittings, so it isn’t a burst danger... but I would be far happier if it was all pex instead. I think it might be a project for this summer. Luckily, the ceiling in the basement isn’t finished so about 95% of the plumbing is very easily accessible.
02-08-2014, 06:44 PM,
PEX is better for a lot of reasons. If tasting plastic, it's probably not the PEX.
PEX is quieter and far less likely to knock, it is highly unlikely to burst in freezing weather, you can do really long runs without needing fittings, etc.

But Copper is more retro, more hipster, if that's your thing.
Welcome to the dark side. Are you surprised we lied about having cookies?
02-08-2014, 09:47 PM,
(02-08-2014, 06:44 PM)FunkyRes Wrote: PEX is better for a lot of reasons. If tasting plastic, it's probably not the PEX.
PEX is quieter and far less likely to knock, it is highly unlikely to burst in freezing weather, you can do really long runs without needing fittings, etc.

STOP TROLLING ME BECAUSE YOU ARE WRONG. MY OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE AFFIRMS THIS.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
02-09-2014, 12:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-09-2014, 12:53 AM by Jehannum.)
(02-08-2014, 09:47 PM)roo Wrote:
(02-08-2014, 06:44 PM)FunkyRes Wrote: PEX is better for a lot of reasons. If tasting plastic, it's probably not the PEX.

STOP TROLLING ME BECAUSE YOU ARE WRONG. MY OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE AFFIRMS THIS.

I believe you, because your reputation is currently 24 points higher than FunkyRes's.
02-09-2014, 01:33 AM,
Lol
02-09-2014, 02:52 AM,
I use Opus for my pipes and in my attic, because Opus rocks! I also eat it twice a day as it's tasty and nutritious, and use it as a skin moisturizer from time to time.
02-09-2014, 04:21 AM,
I use nothing but aqueducts and lead lined pipes.
Clubbie
02-09-2014, 09:49 AM,

I'm fine with ditching the copper, although I am going to put a lot of effort into saving the original windows. And it does hurt a bit to get rid of perfectly good knob and tube wiring but it just isn't a good option to keep it.
02-10-2014, 08:10 PM,
Could you please send me all the copper?

Meth addicts love copper.

The wiring from your house, too.

As long as it's copper wiring.
------------------------------------------------
Everything went to hell after Empire.
02-11-2014, 01:51 PM,
(02-10-2014, 08:10 PM)Bren Wrote: Could you please send me all the copper?

Meth addicts love copper.

The wiring from your house, too.

As long as it's copper wiring.

Geez, I have pulled so much wire out too. Turns out that every time a new resident got phone or cable service, they just ran new lines!
02-11-2014, 01:52 PM,
Scrap dealer, here you come!
Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie ClubbieClubbieClubbie