Why I use Midori for web browsing
01-20-2014, 04:31 AM,
Why I use Midori for web browsing
Clearly some people are highly interested in why I use Midori for my web browser.

The answer is simple, full GStreamer support.

FireFox does not use GStreamer. Due to the patent issues with mp3/h.264/aac the Linux distributions disable support for those codecs in FireFox. They may be supported in Windows (I know at least mp3 is) but not in Linux.

Opera uses GStreamer but blacklists patented codecs.

Chrome is broken on the website where I spend most of my time. Yeah, I looked into it, it technically is a JavaScript error in their code, but every other browser it works, only broken in Chrome.

So if I want a web browser that will play the patented HTML5 media codecs so many use without vorbis/webm/theora - my only options are the webkitgtk browsers and the appropriate GStreamer plugins to handle those codecs.

Epiphany and Midori are the two that are readily available in my distro, and Midori just feels like a more natural interface.

Nothing hispter about it, I just want multimedia to work.

But there will always be people who make assumptions, and they will always be idiots. There's no help for them, lost cause.
Welcome to the dark side. Are you surprised we lied about having cookies?
01-20-2014, 04:42 AM,
RE: Why I use Midori for web browsing
Why did leave the other place just to troll here?
Clubbie
01-20-2014, 04:46 AM,
[Image: hurr.png]
"The 300ZX Turbo is a dance; it's a song; it's rolling, roaring automotive art. There is no color that doesn't suit it. There is no mood-lifting chemical substance it can't replace." - Automobile Magazine
01-20-2014, 04:46 AM,
(01-20-2014, 04:42 AM)mmaverick Wrote: Why did leave the other place just to troll here?

Look at my reputation if you want to see who the troll is.
01-20-2014, 04:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-20-2014, 04:49 AM by Jehannum.)
(01-20-2014, 04:46 AM)FunkyRes Wrote:
(01-20-2014, 04:42 AM)mmaverick Wrote: Why did leave the other place just to troll here?

Look at Jehannum's reputation if you want to see who the troll is.
Fixed that for you, fucktardo.
"The 300ZX Turbo is a dance; it's a song; it's rolling, roaring automotive art. There is no color that doesn't suit it. There is no mood-lifting chemical substance it can't replace." - Automobile Magazine
01-20-2014, 04:54 AM,
(01-20-2014, 04:48 AM)Jehannum Wrote:

Calling you a cocksucker was a direct response to your need to troll me despite the fact that we had had no interactions in quite some time. That was a cocksucker move on your part.

You trolled, I took the bait.
01-20-2014, 04:58 AM,
(01-20-2014, 04:54 AM)FunkyRes Wrote:
(01-20-2014, 04:48 AM)Jehannum Wrote:

I can't handle the real world!

Cry harder.
01-20-2014, 06:43 AM,
Multimedia is important to me too
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
01-20-2014, 06:59 AM,
I'm more of a solomedia guy myself.
Clubbie
01-20-2014, 07:31 AM,
I'm into sequential medium.
smapdi Wrote:I do declare that losing one's anal virginity sure is a memorable time.
01-20-2014, 11:49 AM,
I like this thread.
01-20-2014, 02:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-20-2014, 02:19 PM by FunkyRes.)
So do I actually.

I'm probably the last person on the earth to ever do anything or use anything "hipster" - I'm completely out of touch with that culture.

If anyone is curious, the GStreamer plugins I use are the fluendo commercial codec pack.
The free open source ones also work, but the fluendo codecs are better.

With them installed, and GStreamer application (totem, rhythmbox, and webkitgtk browsers) will be able to decode and play just about any audio / video format in common use. It rocks.
01-20-2014, 03:55 PM,
CIVILITY
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
01-20-2014, 04:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-20-2014, 04:01 PM by FunkyRes.)
(01-20-2014, 03:55 PM)Alien Wrote: CIVILITY

I'm done.
No more interactions with J.
I'll stop taking the the bait and won't leave any of my own.

It's old.
01-20-2014, 04:29 PM,
Yes, the problem with your continued fall-out with everybody else is clearly with everybody else.
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
01-20-2014, 05:04 PM,
(01-20-2014, 04:29 PM)Alien Wrote: Yes, the problem with your continued fall-out with everybody else is clearly with everybody else.

I don't have a continued fall-out with everybody else.
I do respond to bait, and probably in a way I shouldn't and that's on me.

But look at the facts.

I mention in a thread that my browser rejects the certificate chain for the website and mention the browser.

What followed is J decided to give me a negative reputation stating no one cared about my "hipster" browser.

He was specifically looking for drama. I dare you to say otherwise and claim any shred of honesty.

Did I have to take the bait? No.

I still though found it hilarious that he somehow identifies me or a browser that very few people use with hipster. That makes absolutely no sense at all.
01-20-2014, 05:17 PM,
Technically you're the one that first said hipster, at least in this thread.
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
01-20-2014, 06:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-20-2014, 06:23 PM by FunkyRes.)
(01-20-2014, 05:17 PM)FuturDreamz Wrote: Technically you're the one that first said hipster, at least in this thread.

Yes, as a direct response to his rating troll. Which granted was likelly a response to my rating troll, which was a response to his rating troll that he chose (perhaps by coincidence but I doubt it) to post on my publicly known birthday. His rating troll that had absolutely no interaction with him at all beforehand.

But its over. No more tit for tat.

Anyway back on topic - multimedia is why I choose to use a webkitgtk browser, the GStreamer media backend solves a lot of problems and I rarely find myself ever needing to use a different browser, the only time I have to use a different browser is with my bitcoin exchange - they require a browser in their white-list.
01-20-2014, 06:30 PM,
(01-20-2014, 06:18 PM)FunkyRes Wrote:
(01-20-2014, 05:17 PM)FuturDreamz Wrote: Technically you're the one that first said hipster, at least in this thread.

Yes, as a direct response to his rating troll. Which granted was likelly a response to my rating troll, which was a response to his rating troll that he chose (perhaps by coincidence but I doubt it) to post on my publicly known birthday. His rating troll that had absolutely no interaction with him at all beforehand.

Anyway back on topic - multimedia is why I choose to use a webkitgtk browser, the GStreamer media backend solves a lot of problems and I rarely find myself ever needing to use a different browser, the only time I have to use a different browser is with my bitcoin exchange - they require a browser in their white-list.

Really? all this because you got a negative rating?
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
01-20-2014, 07:02 PM,
Well FD, that's going to get you some positive rep.
Clubbie
01-20-2014, 07:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-20-2014, 07:44 PM by FunkyRes.)
(01-20-2014, 06:30 PM)FuturDreamz Wrote:
(01-20-2014, 06:18 PM)FunkyRes Wrote:

Really? all this because you got a negative rating?

That's what started the tit for tat.

He gave me a negative, I gave him a positive, then he gave me a few more negs and started shitting on any thread I posted in.

(01-20-2014, 07:02 PM)mmaverick Wrote: Well FD, that's going to get you some positive rep.

Which I'm guessing is the point.
Me - I like my nose the color it is.

The problem with kissing ass is they come to expect it. I don't play that game.
01-21-2014, 12:22 AM,
If I had more time, I'd be photoshopping new memes right now.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
01-21-2014, 12:26 AM,
(01-20-2014, 05:04 PM)FunkyRes Wrote: I still though found it hilarious that he somehow identifies me or a browser that very few people use with hipster. That makes absolutely no sense at all.

The fact that you don't know what a hipster is doesn't make you any less of one.

[Image: Hipster_4ff82d_1671891.jpg]
01-21-2014, 05:38 AM,
FunkyRes Wrote:Which I'm guessing is the point.

Yeah, you're totally right! I'm totally trying to suck up to potardo!
Clubbie
01-21-2014, 07:32 AM,
(01-21-2014, 05:38 AM)mmaverick Wrote:
FunkyRes Wrote:Which I'm guessing is the point.

Yeah, you're totally right! I'm totally trying to suck up to potardo!

Except I was not talking about you.