prosumer HP laser fix
01-14-2014, 12:09 PM,
prosumer HP laser fix
I took one of my friend's "broken" HP 2600N printers home yesterday. He was dumping it because the color saturation was terrible (specifically, it looked like there was no magenta or cyan coming out at all). I figured that I was ahead if it only did black, on account of the flaky-ass drivers for my HP 1012 laser.

While I was waiting for code to compile and tests to run at work today, I looked up the issue, and it appears to be common to most HP prosumer color lasers - dust settling on the lenses and mirrors that face upward in the laser/scanner assembly. HP doesn't have specific official guidance on the issue, but there are several teardown guides out there, so I gave it a crack, tore the entire thing apart and blew the dust out of the optics with some compressed air.

I mended it!

On a side note, it's nice to have a printer that plugs into the network instead of my old CUPS/Samba setup on the linux box. The 1012's drivers were terrible, and it was such a low-volume, low-end laser sold so long ago that nobody wanted to invest the time to fix them (and I didn't want to learn CUPS or drivers).
"The 300ZX Turbo is a dance; it's a song; it's rolling, roaring automotive art. There is no color that doesn't suit it. There is no mood-lifting chemical substance it can't replace." - Automobile Magazine
01-14-2014, 12:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-14-2014, 12:24 PM by FuturDreamz.)
RE: prosumer HP laser fix
Good that you have a decent Network printer. I still can't get all computers to reliably connect to the Lexmark E240 hooked up to the iMac.

But the thing won't die, and toner lasts over three years.
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
01-14-2014, 01:20 PM,
Liar, printers can neither be diagnosed nor repaired.
smapdi Wrote:I do declare that losing one's anal virginity sure is a memorable time.
01-14-2014, 03:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-14-2014, 03:33 PM by FuturDreamz.)
(01-14-2014, 01:20 PM)Geesie Wrote: Liar, printers can neither be diagnosed nor repaired.

Only if you rely on the manufacturer for technical support. In actual fact most of the time printers can be diagnosed or repaired, and sometimes both.
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
01-14-2014, 09:41 PM,
Jeremy Clarkson has got to be at least half the reason why the US version of Top Gear failed. How did the producers not get that?

And good work on the printer. My Dad taught me that fixing... er... mending things is typically just taking it apart, cleaning it, and putting it back together again. That seems to hold true. Perhaps not for a tail light on a porch, but for most things.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
01-14-2014, 10:19 PM,
(01-14-2014, 09:41 PM)roo Wrote: Jeremy Clarkson has got to be at least half the reason why the US version of Top Gear failed. How did the producers not get that?

And good work on the printer. My Dad taught me that fixing... er... mending things is typically just taking it apart, cleaning it, and putting it back together again. That seems to hold true. Perhaps not for a tail light on a porch, but for most things.

Has the US version of Top Gear finished failing yet? We cut the cord before it had gone off the air.

Similarly, my father also taught me that half of fixing things is making sure everything is clean. He also taught me how not to destroy things while disassembling them.
"The 300ZX Turbo is a dance; it's a song; it's rolling, roaring automotive art. There is no color that doesn't suit it. There is no mood-lifting chemical substance it can't replace." - Automobile Magazine
01-14-2014, 11:51 PM,
(01-14-2014, 10:19 PM)Jehannum Wrote:
(01-14-2014, 09:41 PM)roo Wrote: Jeremy Clarkson has got to be at least half the reason why the US version of Top Gear failed. How did the producers not get that?

Has the US version of Top Gear finished failing yet? We cut the cord before it had gone off the air.

I just assumed. Surely, it collapsed.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
01-15-2014, 04:05 AM,
I’ve been watching a fair bit of Top Gear over the last week in preparation for season 21’s imminent arrival.

The Middle East special from season 16 was pretty awesome, full of Clarkson refusing to fix things and getting Hamster and Captain Slow to try to get his MX-5 going again.

Bravo on the printer. I worked at one shop that had this old Lexmark laser that I got to be REALLY good at tearing down, cleaning, and bodging together for another few months, because the boss was just too damn cheap to buy a new printer. It’s a wonderful feeling to make a printer go again.