Now that we're all a little bit older, the question is:
12-25-2013, 11:49 AM,
Now that we're all a little bit older, the question is:
What [did you|are you gonna] buy yourself for Christmas this year?

We're getting a fancy new 60" TV. Thickglasses4
The chaos army seems suspiciously well organized.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
12-25-2013, 12:36 PM,
RE: Now that we're all a little bit older, the question is:
So far I got a Gameboy Micro with seven games, Link Between Worlds, Super Princess Peach, and some sour candy. I'll get some more with my christmas money.
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
12-25-2013, 02:09 PM,
I didn't get myself anything. But now that I'm a little older, if I were just going to spend money, I'd get a Les Paul. Not because I'd play it so much as I could say I have it. Maybe a really nice USA Tele for the same reason. Actually, I could say that for a lot of high end musical gear. I'm not going to perform with my gear -- and I know that -- but golly there's something nice about a fine guitar moaning and wailing at your doing.

If I had a garage... whoa... that'd change things. I'd need a toy car to keep in it. It'd either be a dune buggy or a 911. I'd drive the latter more, but I'd have more fun in the former. And of course, I'd need a new tool situation for car tools instead of wood tools.

If we're talking lottery dream, then, well, I'd buy myself a Quonset hut shop and build a "UFO" and only fly it at dusk. But that feels like it's out of scope.

But in spirit of the thread -- treating yourself -- I think I'd ultimately be most satisfied to get myself some sort of pre-packaged project for arduino or some other sort of physical computing. To get the hang of it and what not. I kind of like the notion of building my own hardware. I kind of like the notion of building my own everything, actually. But seriously, I think I'd enjoy building my own stomp-box drum machine / looper do-hicky.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
12-25-2013, 02:20 PM,
I've been spending money on gear for my rapidly upcoming trip to Jordan.
Geesie wrote Wrote:You probably support organized labor until a strike inconveniences you too. That's what we like to call "San Francisco Values".
12-25-2013, 02:22 PM,
like hand grenades and turbans?
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
12-25-2013, 02:47 PM,
I think I'm going to get an electric smoker. Talk about purism all you want, but it's too hard to keep a traditional smoker at cold smoke temperatures.
smapdi Wrote:I do declare that losing one's anal virginity sure is a memorable time.
12-25-2013, 02:56 PM,
(12-25-2013, 02:22 PM)roo Wrote: like hand grenades and turbans?
No, I'll get those there. Have you ever tried taking such things through security?
Geesie wrote Wrote:You probably support organized labor until a strike inconveniences you too. That's what we like to call "San Francisco Values".
12-25-2013, 03:01 PM,
I bought oil for the furnace.
Clubbie
12-25-2013, 05:09 PM,
I got another batch of presents (stepdad's family opens presents on christmas eve). Highlights are Ankh-Morpork city guide, two big tolberone bars, and money.
12-25-2013, 05:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-25-2013, 05:42 PM by tobobo.)
I asked for socks. I got socks. I was thrilled. I also got a sweet jacket, and my sister gave me a cool shirt. My parents are gonna have to step it up if they're going to make any sort of attempt to match the ridiculous gift that was getting to go to college for four years.

The Monoprice 27" monitor sorta counts as a Christmas present to myself, I guess. I also got myself a bright pink skateboard deck on the 22nd after the one I got last month started cracking. I managed to do a 360 flip 360 flip on the broken, sagging board, which I was pretty pumped about. Smashed up the old deck after landing it and cathartically bought a new one. Skateboarding is the best.

My mom tipped me off that my dad could use a fiberglass ladder to replace his old wooden one, so I got him that.

I got some architecture-related books for my parents, too. Vitamin Green and A Country of Cities.

For my sister I got some science/math books: Turing's Cathedral (purchased before his pardon cause I'm an OG), something about plant communication, and a compilation of biology essays.

My family is spending time together in New Orleans and shit's delightful.
12-25-2013, 05:51 PM,
I got myself two snare drums, an 8" tom for my drum set, an Apple TV and I got the missus a full set of Zwilling kitchen knives.
(12-25-2013, 02:56 PM)chikiepoo Wrote:
(12-25-2013, 02:22 PM)roo Wrote: like hand grenades and turbans?
No, I'll get those there. Have you ever tried taking such things through security?
Don't answer that!
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
12-25-2013, 06:07 PM,
I bought myself some new ceiling tiles, and a new collar for my kitty
grinding is only fun in co-op
12-25-2013, 06:32 PM,
I've been itching for a little (or big) Arduino project, but haven't chosen one yet. I've been thinking about making an LED sign for my apartment like this one that would show my local bus times, weather, alerts, and whatever useful data I could find. It'd give me a reason to get a new Arduino Yún.

I've also been planning on either building a Linux PC for my office or buying a Mac Mini for it.
12-25-2013, 06:56 PM,
(12-25-2013, 06:32 PM)jax Wrote: I've been itching for a little (or big) Arduino project, but haven't chosen one yet. I've been thinking about making an LED sign for my apartment like this one that would show my local bus times, weather, alerts, and whatever useful data I could find. It'd give me a reason to get a new Arduino Yún.

I've also been planning on either building a Linux PC for my office or buying a Mac Mini for it.

It's absurd how desirable I find the idea of a replica Muni arrival time sign in my apartment.
12-26-2013, 02:24 AM,
(12-25-2013, 06:07 PM)fizzwinkus Wrote: I bought myself some new ceiling tiles, and a new collar for my kitty

You don't have a feline and I'MNOTWEARINGIT. The last one had too many rhinestones and not enuff spikes.
Obscurum veritas defensor

Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie
12-26-2013, 02:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-26-2013, 02:43 AM by fizzwinkus.)
thank god you're not! TOTALLYFRIENDZONED
grinding is only fun in co-op
12-26-2013, 02:50 AM,
Giggle
Obscurum veritas defensor

Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie
12-26-2013, 04:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-26-2013, 04:49 PM by FuturDreamz.)
Does this count as a Christmas present?
Canada Supreme Court strikes down prostitution laws - BBC
12-26-2013, 04:51 PM,
Are you implying you bribed the courts?
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
12-27-2013, 07:16 AM,
I spec'd out a new bookshelf and green-wall for the dining room. They'll both be done in pecan/hickory heartwood, and the bookshelf will be built over the west wall of the room (incorporating a filing cabinet and a large storage area under the windows), and the green-wall will be 40" wide, 5" deep from floor to ceiling, next to the sliding glass door that goes out on the deck. They'll both be delivered and installed probably in February.

For myself, I got a new Nexus 7, to replace the one that got smashed in my pack during chemo.

I got my wife a Wii-U, but the assholes didn't include any physical media for the game that was supposed to come with it (Windwaker HD), and the fucking eshop has been down since the 24th. Feels like I might as well have bought her a Blackberry, for all the good it does.
"The 300ZX Turbo is a dance; it's a song; it's rolling, roaring automotive art. There is no color that doesn't suit it. There is no mood-lifting chemical substance it can't replace." - Automobile Magazine
12-27-2013, 07:48 AM,
I was ecstatic to have the 1 gb CF card I ordered from Amazon and was supposed to arrive monday finally get here today 2 hours before I am supposed to leave for the airport.
12-27-2013, 09:53 AM,
Another festivus miracle!
12-27-2013, 09:53 AM,
(12-27-2013, 07:16 AM)Jehannum Wrote: I got my wife a Wii-U, but the assholes didn't include any physical media for the game that was supposed to come with it (Windwaker HD), and the fucking eshop has been down since the 24th. Feels like I might as well have bought her a Blackberry, for all the good it does.

Yeah it has been really sucky how the eShop is down. But I assure you that once it's up you will love the game. And there's a bunch of other really awesome games on the eShop at different prices.
12-27-2013, 09:54 AM,
But the blackberry is more portable
12-27-2013, 09:55 AM,
Blackberry gave me a free app (mostly games) for every day of December until christmas day. I picked up all of the Angry Birds games, Spiderman, and a couple others that I forget at the moment.