Every fucking time, without fail...
12-04-2013, 08:00 PM,
Every fucking time, without fail...
… well, actually, with fail the world has never seen before. Windows just continues to amaze me in its sheer user-hostility. The latest? "the USB device attached to your computer is not recognised. Try plugging it in again, if that doesn't fix it, replace the device." As in: Windows has decided my iPad and iPhone, both of which show no signs of malfunction whatsoever, need to be tossed and replaced (sure, I'll just go ahead and buy another one, because Windows says so!) because its USB drivers suck ass.

Nice one, Redmond.

Oh, and of course, such a device deserves no power. Let's shut off that USB port completely until the next reboot! Yeah, that makes sense. Because no-one ever uses USB just to charge things. No one. Ever. Not on our watch.

Fuck you, Microsoft. Your fail is nigh unsurpassable.
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
12-05-2013, 12:25 AM,
RE: Every fucking time, without fail...
Clubbie
Obscurum veritas defensor

Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie
12-05-2013, 02:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-05-2013, 02:40 AM by Skippy.)
This may sound silly, but have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes? There's a specific recommended way to do it, for Vista, 7, and 8, and XP.
There is no dark side of the moon, really…matter of fact, it's all dark.
12-05-2013, 03:16 AM,
Silly? Regarding M$? You're such a kidder!
Obscurum veritas defensor

Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie
12-05-2013, 10:43 AM,
They should fire whoever is in charge over there.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
01-22-2014, 04:12 PM,
Windows 7 has a problem with USB.

If my mouse transmitter or keyboard is plugged into the dock, Windows will not recognize it until after I have logged in. Keyboard actually is recognized in one of the ports on the dock sometimes.

However if they are plugged into the port on side of laptop they are always recognized before I log in.

Linux OTOH doesn't give a crap where the devices are plugged in.

I've tried to get help resolving the keyboard / mouse dock issue with Windows gurus and basically, they say "live with it, it's the way it is."

Weird that something like a dock from a company that doesn't officially support Linux (Lenovo) works better in Linux than Windows. You'd think proprietary hardware would work better in the OS they ship on the laptop. The issue though is allegedly Windows handling of USB.

Only thing I need Windows for is photoshop for my digital camera and testing webapps in IE. And bluray, when on the greyhound bus it's nice to be able watch a bluray.
Welcome to the dark side. Are you surprised we lied about having cookies?
01-22-2014, 04:18 PM,
Have you tried uninstalling Windows?
The chaos army seems suspiciously well organized.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
01-22-2014, 04:51 PM,
And just ripping the bluray disks to the hard drive? Saves battery life because you're not using the odd
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
01-22-2014, 06:33 PM,
(01-22-2014, 04:51 PM)FuturDreamz Wrote: And just ripping the bluray disks to the hard drive? Saves battery life because you're not using the odd

If it was just one movie perhaps, but let me explain.

I don't drive. So I often travel by greyhound. Lots of hours on the bus.
And there are power outlets on the bus, so battery doesn't matter.

However hard drive space does matter.
01-22-2014, 06:50 PM,
I could potentially load ripped movies onto a thumb drive however, and just copy to the HD before playing (if needed, I'll have to test playing from a thumb drive). That would let me leave the disks home.
01-22-2014, 07:19 PM,
From first hand experience usb2.0 is not fast enough for 1080p
01-23-2014, 05:19 AM,
(01-22-2014, 07:19 PM)FuturDreamz Wrote: From first hand experience usb2.0 is not fast enough for 1080p

copying to hard drive before watching would work then.
01-23-2014, 01:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-23-2014, 01:54 PM by more or less.)
(12-04-2013, 08:00 PM)Alien Wrote: … well, actually, with fail the world has never seen before. Windows just continues to amaze me in its sheer user-hostility. The latest? "the USB device attached to your computer is not recognised. Try plugging it in again, if that doesn't fix it, replace the device." As in: Windows has decided my iPad and iPhone, both of which show no signs of malfunction whatsoever, need to be tossed and replaced (sure, I'll just go ahead and buy another one, because Windows says so!) because its USB drivers suck ass.

Nice one, Redmond.

Oh, and of course, such a device deserves no power. Let's shut off that USB port completely until the next reboot! Yeah, that makes sense. Because no-one ever uses USB just to charge things. No one. Ever. Not on our watch.

Fuck you, Microsoft. Your fail is nigh unsurpassable.

Hey moron, the usb drivers are provided in iTunes. Also, learn to use device manager.

You are what happens to a smart person when they use Macs too long. You just expect shit to work.
01-24-2014, 12:13 PM,
I'm not sure if that's an insult or a compliment.

Shouldn't you expect your multi-thousand dollar machine to just work?
01-24-2014, 12:28 PM,
color to alpha

Your move.
06-05-2014, 12:09 AM,
This isn't rocket science, yet Microsoft's brilliant software designers still haven't figured it out: if you let different apps grab focus whenever the fuck they want, input that was meant for whatever the user was working on, will end up going to whatever decided to pop to the front. So, when a user is typing some simple text, some box jumps to the front and grabs focus, guess what happens once the user presses "enter"? Yes, the default action is taken. Whther that be "cancel", "OK", or, say, "format c:". How can anyone think that this is a good idea? How can anyone not have thought during the, what, thirty-odd year lifespan of Windows, that this is a serious hazard and should probably be changed?

Yes, I just canceled a multi-hour software install midway because I had the bloody gall to use my workstation for, you know, work, while the install was going on in the background. Fuck you, Microsoft. Fuck you very, very much. I hope your downward slide continues and accelerates. I hope you lose everything you ever had, and then some. I hope your shareholders and every dickweed that ever had purchasing power at any company anywhere and decided to standardise on this shitheap software of yours dies a horrible death after having been tortured enduringly in the most gruesome ways imaginable.
06-05-2014, 12:11 AM,
And one more thing: when a user wishes to restart his workstation, without having gone through every open program to close it individually, there is of course no better course of action than to display a faded out screen saying, "several programs are preventing the system from shutting down", accompanied by the following options: "cancel", "force quit". Yes, that is clearly the way to go. I marvel at your design team. Hats off.

Fucking unbelievable.
06-05-2014, 11:32 AM,
Those two things I have to admit mac does better. But Windows does do that oh-so awesome thing where if you trying to do something it seems to hang until you click on the UAC icon in the taskbar that silently appeared.
06-05-2014, 12:56 PM,
Alien, both of those things you described piss me the fuck off as well.
Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie

06-05-2014, 02:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-05-2014, 02:19 PM by Gippy.)
Shut the fuck up and buy a Mac.
The chaos army seems suspiciously well organized.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
06-05-2014, 03:20 PM,
Owning a Mac only makes things worse. My theory is that strictly Windows people just don't know any better and think that this is just how computers work.
06-06-2014, 01:48 AM,
Whenever I'm on battery, Symantec decides it's time to run a full fucking system scan on my mac. So, instead of 4 hours of battery life, I get about 20 minutes. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

It even scans the entire disk, as opposed to a simple incremental scan or just scanning my outlook files (since they're really only concerned about me infecting some hapless wintardo through outlook anyhow).
"The 300ZX Turbo is a dance; it's a song; it's rolling, roaring automotive art. There is no color that doesn't suit it. There is no mood-lifting chemical substance it can't replace." - Automobile Magazine
06-06-2014, 03:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-06-2014, 05:51 AM by Alien.)
Same shit with Sophos. The other day it fucked up and I ended up running two instances. Result: fan running at full speed and all CPU's pegged. Battery life measured in minutes, rather than hours. Screw third party opportunity, Apple, they had their chance and blew it. It's time to do threat protection right.
06-06-2014, 03:59 AM,
(06-06-2014, 03:01 AM)Alien Wrote: Same shit with Sophos. The other day it fucked up and I ended up running two instances. Result: fan running at full speed and all CPU's pegged. Battery life measured in minutes, rather than hours. Screw third party opportunity, Apple, they had their chance and blew it. It's time to do thread protection right.

Back on our previous "standard load" (Mountain Lion), I would end up with Norton Antivirus running two instances, starting every Tuesday. The computer would lock so hard that even the menu bar clock wouldn't advance. The management software would balk if I tried to kill one of them, and restart it.

I ended up replacing the navx binary with something relatively innocuous (a "hello world" program), and removing executive privileges from the old binary.
"The 300ZX Turbo is a dance; it's a song; it's rolling, roaring automotive art. There is no color that doesn't suit it. There is no mood-lifting chemical substance it can't replace." - Automobile Magazine
07-22-2014, 05:56 PM,
So when you wake your computer up from sleep, of course all network connections have been severed. And Word Viewer, you know, the free program that lets you open Word documents, but not edit them, then logically sees a need to inform you that should you wish to save any changes, you must save a new copy of the document.

Classy, Microsoft. Real classy.