External Hard drive pooped out
11-21-2013, 01:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-21-2013, 01:31 PM by fredges.)
External Hard drive pooped out
So I had this 250GB LaCie drive that I ripped every CD in my collection to. Of course, the day after I gave away all my CDs, the drive won't boot.

I've run Disk Utility on it and if gets to the point during repair that says
"Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required."

but then it says "OS X can't repairer the disk .You can still open or copy files on the disk, but you can’t save changes to files on the disk. Back up the disk and reformat it as soon as you can"

*On verification, it says:

"Verifying volume “250GB”Checking file systemChecking Journaled HFS Plus volume.Checking extents overflow file.Checking catalog file.The volume 250GB could not be verified completely.Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk."

What else can I use besides Disk Utility that might wake this thing from the dead?
It's just got a shit ton of music on it...

Disk Warrior used to be the shizznit back in the day... what's the new hotness?
meh.
11-21-2013, 01:38 PM,
RE: External Hard drive pooped out
Stick it in the freezer for 30 min or so. Srsly. It won't fix it, but chances are good it'll get it running long enuff to start getting your stuff off. Assuming you didn't have a head crash.

Repeat as necessary if it works, but each time it will likely run for a shorter period. Dwindling returns.
Obscurum veritas defensor

Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie
11-21-2013, 02:08 PM,
That's just the drm on the CDs. You no longer own them, so legally you can't listen to them.
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
11-21-2013, 02:28 PM,
Hey. you know what? When I go down the escalator, I don't even hold the handrail!
*gasp*
And mattress tags? Yeah, I rip those fuckers right off. Every one I can find.
*Ooohhh*
I'm a thrill-seeker baby. Oh yeah.
meh.
11-21-2013, 02:54 PM,
Still, if only you had some sort of backup somewhere...
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.