correct as usual
57.14%
4 57.14%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

It turns out Obama is worse than Bush
09-05-2013, 08:52 PM,
It turns out Obama is worse than Bush
Whodathunkit? widespread surveillance, war in Syria, treatment of comrade Snowden, secret courts that have "the right balance"

It's kinda shit, you know?

Here's a fun quote from our boy Woz:
Quote:When I was brought up, we were told that Communist Russia was the ones that were going to kill us and bomb our country and all this. And Communist Russia was so bad because they followed their people, they snooped on them, they arrested them, they put them in secret prisons, they disappeared them. These kinds of things were part of Russia. We're getting more and more like that...
moar

So there you have it, comrades. Obama hates freedom. I feel like I should be saying I told you so.

Salute
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
09-05-2013, 09:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-05-2013, 09:28 PM by Og.)
RE: It turns out Obama is worse than Bush
While he definitely sucks, I think you're giving him more credit than he deserves. There are a few hundred other assholes in DC doing their damndest to fuck us over, funded by several thousand other assholes.
Obscurum veritas defensor

Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie
09-05-2013, 11:00 PM,
Please vote in poll.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
09-05-2013, 11:33 PM,
NO EELS. POLL INVALID.
Obscurum veritas defensor

Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie
09-05-2013, 11:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-05-2013, 11:42 PM by fizzwinkus.)
I am torn between choosing "double missiled" or "hovercraft endowed"

If you do not see those two options in the poll, it's because your DOUBLESECRETVOTINGPROBATION has not been lifted by roo.
grinding is only fun in co-op
09-06-2013, 01:34 PM,
Why do you hate black people?
------------------------------------------------
Everything went to hell after Empire.
09-11-2013, 06:42 PM,
(09-05-2013, 08:52 PM)roo Wrote: Whodathunkit? widespread surveillance, war in Syria, treatment of comrade Snowden, secret courts that have "the right balance"

It's kinda shit, you know?

Here's a fun quote from our boy Woz:
Quote:When I was brought up, we were told that Communist Russia was the ones that were going to kill us and bomb our country and all this. And Communist Russia was so bad because they followed their people, they snooped on them, they arrested them, they put them in secret prisons, they disappeared them. These kinds of things were part of Russia. We're getting more and more like that...
moar

So there you have it, comrades. Obama hates freedom. I feel like I should be saying I told you so.

Salute

You forgot how he caved in on the banks and orchestrated what will be the biggest corporate give away ever in the name of affordable healthcare. I think insurence premiuns are up like 40% since then.

Big Brother, indeed.
09-11-2013, 07:18 PM,
This Friday, I'm going to have my first doctor's appointment in years, and this is largely attributable to the Affordable Care Act.

As to your claim that insurance premiums are up 40%, don't you think maybe the blame for that lies with the insurance companies, and not with Obamacare?
09-11-2013, 08:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-11-2013, 08:27 PM by roo.)
(09-11-2013, 07:18 PM)Bren Wrote: This Friday, I'm going to have my first doctor's appointment in years, and this is largely attributable to the Affordable Care Act.

As to your claim that insurance premiums are up 40%, don't you think maybe the blame for that lies with the insurance companies, and not with Obamacare?

How do you attribute this particular visit to ACA? Are you buying your health insurance through an exchange now?

And how come no comment on Obama's speech about military action in the Middle East?

same same same
09-12-2013, 02:06 AM,
I think blaming the President for everything is laughable. In the end his control over the government has limitations and is based on the information provided to him. The US government system has so many checks and balances to prevent it from turning into a dictatorship that the government has barely any control over itself.
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
09-12-2013, 04:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 04:14 AM by more or less.)
(09-11-2013, 07:18 PM)Bren Wrote: This Friday, I'm going to have my first doctor's appointment in years, and this is largely attributable to the Affordable Care Act.

So you don't realize the health insurance issue was the main criticism?

Again, try to deliniate between health care and health insurance. I'm ok with subsidized healthcare, not with subsidized insurance industry profits.
09-12-2013, 05:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 05:37 AM by Bren.)
(09-11-2013, 08:26 PM)roo Wrote: How do you attribute this particular visit to ACA? Are you buying your health insurance through an exchange now?

I got approved for a California state program that's designed as a "bridge" for those of us who are expected to be covered by Obamacare once Obamacare kicks in. I forget what it's called. Total poor people type stuff. I'll concede that the state might have given me something similar even without Obamacare, but I really don't know for sure.

The application process took about eight months. Bureaucracy, you know.

(09-12-2013, 04:13 AM)more or less Wrote:

Again, try to deliniate between health care and health insurance. I'm ok with subsidized healthcare, not with subsidized insurance industry profits.

You may have a point there.
09-12-2013, 05:44 AM,
Yes, maybe.
The chaos army seems suspiciously well organized.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
09-12-2013, 09:03 AM,
(09-12-2013, 05:35 AM)Bren Wrote:
(09-11-2013, 08:26 PM)roo Wrote: How do you attribute this particular visit to ACA? Are you buying your health insurance through an exchange now?

I got approved for a California state program that's designed as a "bridge" for those of us who are expected to be covered by Obamacare once Obamacare kicks in. I forget what it's called. Total poor people type stuff. I'll concede that the state might have given me something similar even without Obamacare, but I really don't know for sure.

The application process took about eight months. Bureaucracy, you know.

(09-12-2013, 04:13 AM)more or less Wrote:

You may have a point there.

So... it has nothing at all to do with Obamacare. Ohnoes

Roger that.
09-12-2013, 09:53 AM,
As I said, it's designed for people who are expected to be covered by Obamacare. In that sense, I suspect the program might look very different, or not exist at all, if Obamacare hadn't passed.
09-12-2013, 11:11 AM,
Again, thanks for confirming that your appointment is not in any way related to Obamacare. I'm glad we cleared that up.
09-12-2013, 11:19 AM,
It's not easy admitting I'm such a loser that I qualify for free health care. But I gotta say I'm damned grateful for it.

I am earning some money doing my freelance journalism thing, and I feel like the reporting I do really does provide an important public service, so in that sense I can at least say that I'm a productive member of society who's giving something back.

My hope is that, as my career progresses, I'll eventually have a proper income, and not need free health care.

I sure am grateful to have it. And I can't say the humility that comes with receiving it is an entirely bad thing. It's always good to be humble.
09-12-2013, 11:40 AM,
Why don't you get a real job instead?
Geesie wrote Wrote:You probably support organized labor until a strike inconveniences you too. That's what we like to call "San Francisco Values".
09-12-2013, 12:01 PM,
Journalism is a real job, and a very important one. Right now I happen to be a freelancer. One possible career path for a freelancer such as myself is to become a full-time staff writer on salary. That could very well happen. I'm not sure if I'm ready for that, because it's a huge amount of work and a grueling daily grind, but it's certainly one of my possible futures.
09-12-2013, 12:02 PM,
I am glad that you are getting medical attention, Bren. But you are crediting the wrong people for it.
09-12-2013, 12:07 PM,
Thanks Roo, but I'm pretty sure that if it's free stuff, that means it came from Obama.

That's why we 47 percenters voted for him, after all.

Grin
09-12-2013, 12:09 PM,
Sure it wasn't for the warring?
09-12-2013, 12:18 PM,
(09-12-2013, 12:09 PM)roo Wrote: Sure it wasn't for the warring?

Definitely not. He promised to close Gitmo and be nice to Arabs.
09-12-2013, 12:26 PM,
You must be so proud then.
09-12-2013, 01:49 PM,
Well it's not like Romney would have been waging peace right now. Maybe that Libertarian guy you liked mighta done less warring, but he wasn't a viable candidate.

So what would you do differently? Presumably you'd want us completely out of Iraq and Afghanistan? But how do you do that honorably, and in such a way that our withdrawal doesn't leave our ostensible allies completely fucked over?

I don't mean these as rhetorical questions. I honestly don't have any clear, strong sense of what the US should do, or what Obama could do. He inherited a couple of foreign wars and occupations. I don't know what he should or shouldn't do.