What the new iPad design is still missing
10-23-2013, 05:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-23-2013, 05:08 AM by more or less.)
What the new iPad design is still missing
Well I am quite pleased with the new iPad redesign, there is just one more thing...

While a tablet is about the display and the content, its also about sound. And so while the iPad is FINALLY stereo in portrait, its now is some ways worse in landscape.

What I was quietly hoping for is... 3 speakers. So imagine the iPad in portrait, like the mini we now have two nice down firing speakers. However, there should be one ALSO at the top, but not active.

Then when you switch to landscape, one of the downfiring speakers switches to left (or right) only and the formerly inactive top speaker in portrait now becomes the active left (or right) channel speaker. Basically an accelerometer stereo speaker arrangement.

Someone make this happen. Then it will be just about perfect except for memory expansion which is minor.

But proper stereo imaging missing from this device, at this stage in its development, really dissappoints me.
10-23-2013, 05:11 AM,
RE: What the new iPad design is still missing
Get some headphones you goof.
smapdi Wrote:I do declare that losing one's anal virginity sure is a memorable time.
10-23-2013, 05:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-23-2013, 05:17 AM by FuturDreamz.)
The new speaker arrangement doesn't seem to be very good for watching videos.

Odd name choice. Is there going to be an iPad Pro?
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
10-23-2013, 05:17 AM,
So your brilliant design solution is an umbilical cord and head gear? No thanks, genius.
10-23-2013, 05:26 AM,
If you care that much about the stereo sound, you'll need headphones. If you don't care enough to have headphones, don't whine that your tiny flat speakers aren't optimally located.
smapdi Wrote:I do declare that losing one's anal virginity sure is a memorable time.
10-23-2013, 05:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-23-2013, 05:26 AM by tobobo.)
You're the one expecting quality sound from a tablet, genius.

It has to physically move the air around you, it's going to suck no matter what.
10-23-2013, 05:27 AM,
Also, bluetooth.
10-23-2013, 05:29 AM,
I agree with potato that the name choice is odd, but that seems to be Apple's thing—no naming consistency anywhere. They almost could have gone with "Pro" and "Air" to designate pro and consumer models (as well as indicating the lightness of the smaller models) but instead we have "S" and "C" for phones, "Pro" and "Air" for laptops, and "Air," "2" (wtf), and "mini" for iPads.
10-23-2013, 05:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-23-2013, 05:30 AM by more or less.)
I'd like you two appletard twats to move all of your home speakers to one side of your television and start using only headphones. Since thats the brilliant idea you are advocating.

(10-23-2013, 05:27 AM)Geesie Wrote: Also, bluetooth.

That would be the one possible solution I would consider to solve this DESIGN FAILURE.
10-23-2013, 05:36 AM,
(10-23-2013, 05:29 AM)more or less Wrote: I'd like you two appletard twats to move all of your home speakers to one side of your television and start using only headphones. Since thats the brilliant idea you are advocating.

That would be the one possible solution I would consider to solve this DESIGN FAILURE.
My home speakers aren't designed to fit into a cubic centimeter.

I don't use the built in speakers for my TV or big monitor for that matter.
Geesie wrote Wrote:You probably support organized labor until a strike inconveniences you too. That's what we like to call "San Francisco Values".
10-23-2013, 05:47 AM,
My home speakers are a pair of 6 1/2" woofers, 3/4" tweeters with a 55-20,000 Hz frequency response being driven at up to 100 watts each, with a separate 8" 100 watt subwoofer.

An iPad's speakers are not.
10-23-2013, 05:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-23-2013, 05:53 AM by tobobo.)
(10-23-2013, 05:29 AM)more or less Wrote: I'd like you two appletard twats to move all of your home speakers to one side of your television and start using only headphones. Since thats the brilliant idea you are advocating.

Yeah, Bluetooth. We aren't being appletards, we're just being realistic about what it physically takes to produce sound, and the fact that it'll sound like shit whether it comes from both sides of your head or one. If you can nitpick about iPads, you can afford to get an Apple TV or another AirPlay-receiving device so that you can hear high quality stereo sound at the appropriate time and with appropriate technology rather than half-assed tablet noise.

You know what else the iPad needs? A telephoto lens. Yeah.
10-23-2013, 05:52 AM,
But you do have the left channel coming out from the left side of the screen, don't you?

Because on the iPad mini and the new iPad Air you get the enjoy the briliiance of having the opposite sides channel being directed at your ear when in landscape.

Non-stereo imaging in gaming and when browsing audio in landscape, it tends to impose portrait mode which is... BAD DESIGN.
10-23-2013, 06:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-23-2013, 06:03 AM by fizzwinkus.)
"Proper sound imaging from an ultra portable that's 7.5mm thick. Home theater on the plane everyone around you can enjoy!"
grinding is only fun in co-op
10-23-2013, 06:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-23-2013, 06:30 AM by more or less.)
In fact they could and should only have done this with two speaker having a l/r split in portrait mode is dumb due to physical proximity. Most large tablets that have stereo speakers have them oriented for landscape use. Portrait mode could work just fine in mono.

Check the Asus FHD in particular.

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/feature-h...ted-videos

Which makes sense, as the stereo imaging is really good considering the physical separation of the speakers and the proximity to your ears. I have used both the Nexus 10 and Kindle Fire and was surprised at how good the sound was and strong the stereo imaging was.

Going stereo in portrait is BAD DESIGN on a full size, HD tablet.
10-23-2013, 08:26 AM,
I am sad there is no touch Id on the iPads.
grinding is only fun in co-op
10-23-2013, 10:18 AM,
appletards++ mol--;

hammer
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
10-23-2013, 10:28 AM,
I'm still waiting for it to come with wings
Obscurum veritas defensor

Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie
10-23-2013, 10:47 AM,
(10-23-2013, 06:27 AM)more or less Wrote: In fact they could and should only have done this with two speaker having a l/r split in portrait mode is dumb due to physical proximity. Most large tablets that have stereo speakers have them oriented for landscape use. Portrait mode could work just fine in mono.

Which makes sense, as the stereo imaging is really good considering the physical separation of the speakers and the proximity to your ears. I have used both the Nexus 10 and Kindle Fire and was surprised at how good the sound was and strong the stereo imaging was.

AND I'M SURE THEY MADE THAT DECISION WITH ABSOLUTELY NO MARKET RESEARCH. TEH MORANS!
The chaos army seems suspiciously well organized.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
10-23-2013, 11:02 AM,
Next cycle they will have: iPad Pro, iPad Air, and iPad 2
more or less wrote Wrote:I am commonly referred to as a meth addled closet homo.
10-23-2013, 11:49 AM,
(10-23-2013, 10:47 AM)Gippy Wrote:
(10-23-2013, 06:27 AM)more or less Wrote: In fact they could and should only have done this with two speaker having a l/r split in portrait mode is dumb due to physical proximity. Most large tablets that have stereo speakers have them oriented for landscape use. Portrait mode could work just fine in mono.

AND I'M SURE THEY MADE THAT DECISION WITH ABSOLUTELY NO MARKET RESEARCH. TEH MORANS!

IPod Hi-Fi
Fatty iPod Nano
Apple Maps
10-23-2013, 12:20 PM,
iPod HiFi kicks all kinds of ass.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
10-23-2013, 12:50 PM,
Anyone expecting THEATRE SOUND out of a tablet is, charitably, a fucking moron. Even if the speakers were set up in landscape mode, 6” of separation is going to give very little in terms of a proper soundstage. The speakers on any table are really just a convenience feature. For decent sound, you use good headphones. It has the added benefit of not making everyone around you listen to your movie.
10-23-2013, 12:51 PM,
(10-23-2013, 12:50 PM)Warin Wrote: Anyone expecting THEATRE SOUND out of a tablet is, charitably, a fucking moron.

This. Thank you.
Obscurum veritas defensor

Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie
10-23-2013, 01:18 PM,
The HP tablet had kickass speakers.