partition fuckup
10-31-2017, 01:37 PM,
partition fuckup
Long story short: accidently deleted a partition, all the data recovery software wants to hold my data hostage unless I pay up big bucks, found FOSS that did it in a minute.

I'm currently fixing up my system to sell so I could get a smaller system that doesn't keep me awake when it's on. Don't get me wrong this system is amazing, but in hindsight all the LEDS and fans are just a teensy bit annoying. But still cool. But very annoying. And keeps my room too warm. I've gotten to the habit of putting it to sleep whenever I'm not using it, and set active hours to nighttime so it stops waking me up at the ass crack of dawn because it's updating on schedule.

Anyways I had no hope for selling it for what it's worth so i wanted to keep some components to put into a new build (waiting on midrange VEGA cards), and so wanted to keep one of the GPUs and the SSD and 1TB HDD. I had a couple old notebook drives from god knows where that I wanted to use.

Anyways I unplugged the SSD (but not the HDD) to plug in one of the notebook drives and did a clean install on one drive (so that when I find a buyer I can spend 15 minutes popping out the junk I'm keeping then be done with it) only to find out it's faulty, so I switched to the other one which still had the old OS on it. Here's when it happened; when doing a clean install on a drive the installer refuses to install onto an old MBR drive, and will only do so when you delete all partitions one at a time so that it can reformat it at gpt. I did not look closely at the partitions I was clicking on - and deleted the one from the 1TB HDD.

Saved games: gone
Videos: gone:
All user libraries (documents, pictures, videos, etc): gone
years of accumulated detritus: gone
EXTREMELY important documents: backed up to OneDrive but I didn't think of that at the time.

Naturally my first thing was to abort the install, shut down, plug the SSD back in and reboot. 
Wallpaper engine did not launch
OneDrive was unavailable.
Everything was gone
Everything

Quick google search told me there was no built in function (seems to be already requested in Feedback hub so it may be coming), and i was led to MiniTool partition recovery wizard.

This is it
This is it
There it is! Now to undelete
...huh. limit is 1GB and I have to pay $100

Well let's try again, adding "free" to the search terms.

Oh hey Easus! I use their free software on occasion.
...GPT drives not supported, but here's our data recovery software that doesn't explicitly say partition recover for $100.

Well okay then. No thank you, I will not accept your ransomware's demands.

Anyways, after a few more searches I found testdisk which found and restored the partition after five keystrokes and a reboot. For free.

So... yeah.
10-31-2017, 04:40 PM,
RE: partition fuckup
(10-31-2017, 01:37 PM)FuturDreamz Wrote: […] all the LEDS and fans […]
[Image: 5462476.jpg]
11-01-2017, 01:15 AM,
This is why I have backups.
"The 300ZX Turbo is a dance; it's a song; it's rolling, roaring automotive art. There is no color that doesn't suit it. There is no mood-lifting chemical substance it can't replace." - Automobile Magazine
11-01-2017, 02:36 AM,
I do have backups, but only for important personal items. Everything else I can redownload from Steam or the Microsoft store or TPB or the miscellaneous websites I sourced them from.
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
11-01-2017, 05:26 AM,
(11-01-2017, 02:36 AM)FuturDreamz Wrote: I do have backups, but only for important personal items. Everything else I can redownload from Steam or the Microsoft store or TPB or the miscellaneous websites I sourced them from.

That's special.

I have full backups on my server (that does Time Capsule duty for the machines on the network).

The server has some redundancy in the array of drives, as well as a backup drive of its own.

The server also backs up offsite to CrashPlan.

I don't like losing data.
11-01-2017, 07:36 AM,
I really should be doing off site backups.
It’s all just Time Capsule right now.
The chaos army seems suspiciously well organized.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
11-01-2017, 08:08 AM,
I figure that if my onsite backup is lost, I've got bigger problems than mp3 files and old photos.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
11-01-2017, 09:17 AM,
True.
The chaos army seems suspiciously well organized.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
11-02-2017, 03:38 AM,
(11-01-2017, 08:08 AM)roo Wrote: I figure that if my onsite backup is lost, I've got bigger problems than mp3 files and old photos.
When those problems are behind you, you're going to miss those old photos. Badly. Also, there'll be a shit-load of documentation you've been saving for just that occasion.
11-02-2017, 06:16 AM,
(11-01-2017, 08:08 AM)roo Wrote: I figure that if my onsite backup is lost, I've got bigger problems than mp3 files and old photos.

You might miss your tax returns.

I don't do paper.
11-02-2017, 07:37 PM,
My on-site tax returns are on paper. The digital originals are off-site.

And yeah, I get that off-site backup is better than not. I guess I just choose to live dangerously.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?