USB sucks
07-07-2017, 01:58 AM,
USB sucks
I stuck an OWC Aura SSD in my 2011 MacBook Air, because it was whining about storage space shortage and I'm too lazy to clean out my data. Should make it a tad faster, too.

So, now Migration Assistant is transferring data from the old to the new. Over USB2. Which has a transfer speed of… 480Mbps, right? Nun-uh. 27MBps. Fuck, that's terrible. I'll do attest when I'm back home, but I'm pretty sure my FW400 drives outperform that by a mile.

Does anyone have any real-world insights into the speeds of USB3?
07-07-2017, 01:59 AM,
RE: USB sucks
27 peak, mind you. 25 sustained.

Cue Potardo with rambling post about why my test is unfair and how I'm using it wrong or whatever.
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
07-07-2017, 02:01 AM,
USB3 should be pretty high, up to the speeds of PCIe x2 iirc.

I'm guessing you're using a crappy cheap USB adapter, if you're not using USB 3 I doubt you bought a new one.
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
07-07-2017, 02:13 AM,
Alien, it's like you could see the future!
Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie

07-07-2017, 02:13 AM,
You're guessing wrong.

Of course.
07-07-2017, 02:54 AM,
(07-07-2017, 02:13 AM)Alien Wrote: You're guessing wrong.

Of course.

The USB 2.0 spec is pretty standardized and has been stable for a decade. So if it's not the spec and it's not the adapter, then the only logical solution is that it is a hardware issue or software bug.

Remind me, what kind of hardware and software are you using?
07-07-2017, 04:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-07-2017, 04:32 AM by Jehannum.)
(07-07-2017, 01:58 AM)Alien Wrote: I stuck an OWC Aura SSD in my 2011 MacBook Air, because it was whining about storage space shortage and I'm too lazy to clean out my data. Should make it a tad faster, too.

So, now Migration Assistant is transferring data from the old to the new. Over USB2. Which has a transfer speed of… 480Mbps, right? Nun-uh. 27MBps. Fuck, that's terrible. I'll do attest when I'm back home, but I'm pretty sure my FW400 drives outperform that by a mile.

Does anyone have any real-world insights into the speeds of USB3?

USB3 devices by and large eschew DMA transfers for plain ol' bit poking (or at least they did back when I had USB3 drives for deep storage), so the theoretical throughput of USB3 is just that.

But yes, USB does suck.
07-07-2017, 07:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-07-2017, 07:26 AM by Gippy.)
I've always hated USB 2 on the Mac. I don't know if its Apple's hardware or software but its always been useless for anything more than mice & keyboards. Everything else that wants to push any kind of sizable data just suffers.

FW400 will be much better, but you'll still be waiting on it.

USB 3, though, has been good for me. Random and sustained reads/writes are pretty durned good. Good enough for a secondary drive. But you don't have that. So Shrug

If your external drive case has FW800 you should get a TB adapter. That's pretty tolerable. Well, that is, unless this is just a one time thing. In which case you should shut the fuck up and deal with it.
The chaos army seems suspiciously well organized.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
07-07-2017, 07:30 AM,
Thunderbolt is the tits, though.
Its like having another internal drive.
07-07-2017, 08:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-07-2017, 09:00 PM by roo.)
My only experience is with thumb drivesand that time when I migrated to an SSD and used a USB -> SATA adapter. If the plug is baby blue, I can write to it quickly. It meets my expectations. If it's black, I can read data at a fairly tolerable pace, but perhaps it's only tolerable because the write speed is just unacceptable.

So here's my tuber for the thread: just don't use USB2.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
07-10-2017, 06:41 PM,
(07-07-2017, 01:59 AM)Alien Wrote: Cue Potardo with rambling post about why my test is unfair and how I'm using it wrong or whatever.
(07-07-2017, 02:13 AM)agedgruel Wrote: Alien, it's like you could see the future!
Like fucking clockwork, eh? What a tool. Anyway, here we go:
(07-07-2017, 02:01 AM)FuturDreamz Wrote: I'm guessing you're using a crappy cheap USB adapter, if you're not using USB 3 I doubt you bought a new one.
I just told you what I was doing. One minute of Googling would have let you know that a 2011 MacBook Air has USB2 ports, and that the OWC Aura ships with a USB3 enclosure. How else would I be transferring data from a proprietary SSD?
(07-07-2017, 02:54 AM)FuturDreamz Wrote: The USB 2.0 spec is pretty standardized and has been stable for a decade. So if it's not the spec and it's not the adapter, then the only logical solution is that it is a hardware issue or software bug.
I'll clue you in: it's the spec. One second of googling would have told you that real world USB2 speed is 32MBps at best, and I'm guessing a Migration Assistant data migration creates far from a best-case scenario, what with lots of little files being transferred. Successful troll is successful: you stepped right into that one, didn't you?
Quote:Remind me, what kind of hardware and software are you using?
Still no Googles in Canada, I see. No scroll wheels, either.
(07-07-2017, 07:18 AM)Gippy Wrote: If your external drive case has FW800 you should get a TB adapter. That's pretty tolerable. Well, that is, unless this is just a one time thing. In which case you should shut the fuck up and deal with it.
It's a data migration. I couldn't care less, I just told it what to migrate and went out and had a life. It was done when I returned, and now my MacBook has a lightening fast SSD with twice the storage space from before in it. Yay me.

My externals are LaCie Quadra's of various generations, all connected through FW800 on a TB2FW dongle. Works a charm. Oh, and one FW400 drive at the end. Works fine, too.
07-10-2017, 08:46 PM,
Not that it's relevant anymore, but my Mac (MBP mid-2010) is USB 2.0 and the results I described above using USB3 are first-hand on this old Mac.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
07-11-2017, 02:01 AM,
(07-10-2017, 06:41 PM)Alien Wrote: It's a data migration. I couldn't care less, I just told it what to migrate and went out and had a life. It was done when I returned, and now my MacBook has a lightening fast SSD with twice the storage space from befoIt's a data migration. I couldn't care less, I just told it what to migrate and went out and had a life. It was done when I returned, and now my MacBook has a lightening fast SSD with twice the storage space from before in it. Yay me.

My externals are LaCie Quadra's of various generations, all connected through FW800 on a TB2FW dongle. Works a charm. Oh, and one FW400 drive at the end. Works fine, too.

I love the new life an SSD adds to a system. Louise (my better half) is still running on a Mid-2010 MBP with a Core I5 after adding an SSD.
07-11-2017, 10:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-11-2017, 10:51 AM by Gippy.)
I upgraded my old 2011 MBP but it didn't like something about the SSD. It was fine for casual use but once I got in to swapping a lot (i.e.: photo editing) it would eventually crash.

So I upgraded the entire machine. ;)