NEW: iOS File Manager
06-06-2017, 07:08 AM,
NEW: iOS File Manager
That's the only thing I feel is really noteworthy. I think the Home Pod will live or die on the reliability of Siri, which last I checked is still not the best.
06-06-2017, 11:01 AM,
RE: NEW: iOS File Manager
Monument Valley 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The chaos army seems suspiciously well organized.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
06-06-2017, 11:03 AM,
Also, I would have expected the iMac Pro to sit between the iMac and the Mac Pro. iGuess it does, but that price tag stings... iKnow you get a lot for the money, but iWould prefer to pay less.
06-06-2017, 11:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-06-2017, 11:08 AM by Gippy.)
Also: that external dev box with the Radeon card in it looks tasty.
It is one of these: http://www.sonnettech.com/product/egfx-b...y-box.html
06-06-2017, 07:06 PM,
I'll withhold judgment on the file manager until I've seen more. My first impression is that it is Apple moving in the wrong direction under pressure.

I want an iMac Pro, but I'm not sure if I can justify the price tag. Even to myself. Six months to go, though.

I'm curious about APFS, and would like to know more.

We'll probably be getting a HomePod. Price point is spot-on.
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
06-07-2017, 01:43 AM,
HEH https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/06/the-...losing-it/
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
06-07-2017, 03:05 AM,
Pft. Ain't got nothing on iPod Socks. I have a set NRFB in my attic.
06-07-2017, 10:45 AM,
I think Files is going to be dumb. It'll be a sandboxed directory plus cloud storage. It will not access to your device's file system. Moreover, did you see the video of someone dragging a file onto the dock, then on the app window, then on a document? That dragging and holding nonsense has been a shitty and unsatisfactory Finder pattern since 9. It has always sucked. Always.

I can't help but think that Files makes it look like the iPhone is trying to compete in the thumb drive space, except it'll be a pain in the ass to move large files because you'll have to do it wirelessly or need some dongle.

I bought Transmit for phone. I bought it because I like Panic and I thought surely there's something to it that'll make it somehow useful. There isn't (for me, anyway). I bet that it's basically what Files is going to be.

That said, Apple seems desperate for people use iPads. Presumably, Apple would like to see iPads used as some sort of creation tool. And I think they realize that no one wants to create on it because your files aren't accessible. Files makes them accessible but really hard to use, and I don't see people straining to do what comes so easily on a workstation designed for creating stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the filesystem on my iOS device, but I realize that isn't going to happen (from Apple).

Homebud

If I wanted a hot mic in my house all of the time, then maybe Homepod might have been interesting to me if I hadn't already bought into Sonos. I'm not replacing my Sonos system with Apple's silly Homebuddy.

iMac Pro

iMac Pro seems like a no-brainer... but the price point seems weird. I'm sure other people will buy it, but the plain old iMac is more computer than I need.

The rest

OK, whatever. I'll update when there's a red circle with a number in it.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
06-07-2017, 11:10 AM,
Honestly I really think Files is a good thing and an important step in making iOS useful as a work OS. The current implementation is shitty, but that's because it has to support legacy apps that are stuck with whatever iOS had as a file management API. Over time I expect at least the more useful apps to properly support a more open filesystem (even if it's still restricted to documents) leading to a better experience.

After that Apple just needs to cut ties with iTunes and port Xcode to run in iOS, and that just may be enough to set the path for iOS replacing macOS, even on devices such as the iMac.

Oh and mouse support.

I don't really know about HomePod. I get them focusing on audio quality, but that leads me to suspect that they simply can't get Siri to be acceptably competent as a full home automation interface. And I'm pretty sure that if I wanted to I could buy an Echo Dot and a used Bose speaker and get something with far better sound quality for cheaper. I'm happy with Cortana. I like how I can just say "Hey Cortana" anytime I want and if my system is idle it pops up a 10-foot interface display - though more often than not if I try a new command ore different wording i just get a Bing search.

And the iMac Pro... Maybe it's Apple's attempt at competing with the Surface Studio? I still think a pro system should be easy to upgrade, however at this point I don't believe that Apple ever plans to go back to that. The Mac Pro promised to have upgradeable GPUs that used that proprietary card interface. eGPUs do promise to be a standard, and they are supported even by the latest in the MacBook line. I can see it working well, but not until they have a relatively cheap system that only has a good/great CPU in it and you can plug eGPUs and external storage into it to make it more "Pro"
06-07-2017, 12:58 PM,
Monument Valley 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Seriously. That's what I'm really excited about from yesterday.
06-07-2017, 02:57 PM,
I don't know what that is. C'era una volta il West is one of my all-time favourite films, though.
06-10-2017, 05:37 PM,
File Manager is a nod to the Pariahs of the world, who keep insisting that "pro use" means shifting files around and manually keeping track of your data. Maybe it's just an attempt at shutting them up, because they do tend to be loud mouthed, self-proclaimed experts that seem to hold a bit of sway with the less technologically inclined. In other words: they tarnish the brand.
(06-07-2017, 11:10 AM)FuturDreamz Wrote: Honestly I really think Files is a good thing and an important step in making iOS useful as a work OS.
Case in point.
Quote:The current implementation is shitty, but that's because it has to support legacy apps that are stuck with whatever iOS had as a file management API. Over time I expect at least the more useful apps to properly support a more open filesystem (even if it's still restricted to documents) leading to a better experience.
There is literally nothing useful that a file manager does that cannot be done in the current model of iOS storage handling. It's just you being unable to conceive of the possibility that there are other ways of doing things than the one you've once been taught. It's like the little boy learning a foreign language and feeling sorry for the foreign kids because they have to remember what all those foreign words mean all the time and it's really, really hard.
Quote:[…] Apple just needs to cut ties with iTunes and port Xcode to run in iOS, and that just may be enough to set the path for iOS replacing macOS, even on devices such as the iMac.
iOS is macOS, you dunce. An interface is not an OS.
06-10-2017, 06:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-10-2017, 06:40 PM by FuturDreamz.)
Wow who spiked your kool-aid?

An open file system allows for complete interactivity between files and applications, and allows you to grab a file from any resource and use it any way you need it to. A simple example (which hopefully avoids you dicking about the scenario being a rare use case or some stupid shit like that) is ripping youtube videos for songs to add to your music library. Last I checked you couldn't do that in iOS, and the File manager *maybe* allows it now.

If you really think that there is no difference between iuOS and macOS, then I kindly request you imagine that you did not own any Macs and instead did all your real work on the iPad pro and the iPhone. I'm not asking you to buy hardware because you would just say "nah" and reject my argument, but even you must possibly have the mental ability to pay attention to what sort of tasks and applications you use on your computer abnd imagine what iOS processes and apps would be needed to complete those same tasks.
06-10-2017, 08:20 PM,
So yeah, you don't understand what an OS is.
06-10-2017, 08:24 PM,
(06-10-2017, 06:40 PM)FuturDreamz Wrote: An open file system allows for […]
… the sordid mess of spyware and insecurity that is, for example, Android.
06-10-2017, 08:25 PM,
Once again illustrating that you lack the ability to distinguish between a user interface and its underpinnings.
06-10-2017, 11:34 PM,
1. The differences in how iOS and macOS run and look warrant considering them as independent. Who the fuck cares that they run the same core? The interface and API access is enough to distinguish between the two. Hell, they are literally called macOS and iOS. Stop being a pendantic moron.

2. macOS has an open file system. I don't see it being an infested sewer. That alone is enough evidence to refute your claims; you must be running into some severe mental problems if you literally forgot about the other still-aparrently-the-same-OS-according-to-Alien-but-it-has-a-completely-different-use-case-and-interactivity-and-is-even-called-a-different-os-by-the-creator-but-aparrently-that-is-not-good-enouugh-for-Alien that Apple sells, and quite possibly is on the computer you used to make this post.

Seriously, I get that you don't like me. You haven't bothered to try to hide that fact. But this level of butthurtness where you argue about even the most sensible and rational things I say leads me to think there is seriously something very wrong with you, and I don't believe the other members do not see that.
06-11-2017, 12:30 AM,
Whatever blows your skirt up.
06-11-2017, 04:42 AM,
File Manager simply makes some file operations easier. Say, uploading a file from iCloud to a web form. Or downloading a file from a website. Or taking a file along with you (a la thumb-drive). These things are doable today, but require a stupid long dance to get through the system limitations.
06-12-2017, 03:05 AM,
Hierarchical filesystems are an anachronism, beloved only to people like Pariah.
"The 300ZX Turbo is a dance; it's a song; it's rolling, roaring automotive art. There is no color that doesn't suit it. There is no mood-lifting chemical substance it can't replace." - Automobile Magazine
06-12-2017, 03:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-12-2017, 03:16 AM by Gippy.)
Yeah, I'm not saying that's what I like about it. I'm really just hoping it makes some mundane tasks easier, or even possible, on the phone.

I don't care where the file resides on the phone. I just wanna be able to easily put it on the phone and get it off in a variety of ways.
06-12-2017, 04:16 AM,
(06-11-2017, 04:42 AM)Gippy Wrote: […] system limitations.
Interface limitations.
06-12-2017, 04:42 AM,
yeah yeah yeah...
06-12-2017, 10:13 AM,
I have yet to experience anything better than a hierarchical file system. I'm not sure why everyone is in such a hurry to get rid of it since every alternative -- so far -- sucks.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
06-12-2017, 12:14 PM,
(06-12-2017, 10:13 AM)roo Wrote: I have yet to experience anything better than a hierarchical file system.  I'm not sure why everyone is in such a hurry to get rid of it since every alternative -- so far -- sucks.

A hierarchical system is pretty universal. If there is a use case where a different system performs better, the relevant app or program can handle the translation from a HFS perfectly fine (eg; songs being in album folders which are in artist folders, but the music app has them all indexed and allows you to pick specific songs depending on the metadata). Any other system seems to depend on the files being "predefined" and can completely fuck up if asked to handle an unexpected file type - or a file that is of the correct type but is to be segregated for alternate reasons (IE: a ringtone that you want to NEVER pop up when shuffling music)

And Alien...
First of all, even Apple calls them "iOS" and "macOS," literally "iThing OS" and "Macintosh OS" to distinguish between the two.
Second of all, you are arguing semantics in the FUCKING ENGLISH LANGUAGE! The language that is is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. There is a long, long, history of words being used incorrectly and even in a way opposite from it's original meaning. It is completely asinine to argue about phrasing used, especially when the phrasing in question has already been largely accepted as valid. Nobody gives a flying fuck about how the words are used as long as they are sufficient for discussing the topic at hand. Arguing about the proper usage only serves to impress others that you are an insufferable moron with a stick up his ass.