Mmm…pi
11-12-2016, 08:54 AM,
Mmm…pi
From my thread about running a CLI-based app at startup:

(12-31-2015, 05:30 PM)Skippy Wrote: The eventual goal would be to have this running on a dedicated device like a Raspberry Pi, but that's not in the cards yet.

Problem: homebridge was running unreliably, if at all, on my iMac.

Solution: purchased Raspberry Pi. Installed homebridge on it. Sweet Siri-activated lightswitch goodness.

Next steps: install an emulator on the Pi, as I was maybe going to buy the NES Classic Edition.

Any other Pi users in the 'house? Doing cool stuff with them? Suggestions welcome.
11-12-2016, 09:22 AM,
RE: Mmm…pi
I fully intended to do something useful with my Pi, but I never did.

Pi Fail.
The chaos army seems suspiciously well organized.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
11-12-2016, 09:48 AM,
I want to get one to run octoprint on it so I can place a 3D printer in an out-of-the-way location.

I would also like to get one to play with. But I don't know what I'd do with it, if I'm honest. Set up LAMP on it, I suppose. But I don't need a LAMP server, in fact, it'd ultimately be inconvenient to maintain. Maybe a whiteboard robot? I don't know.

I gravitate more toward Arduino. I have an Uno I screw around with here and there. I made some LED projects with Arduino-compatible boards, and I have a few more on my todo list.

I have a Photon board that I need to put into something... I love the idea of controlling things with my phone, but ultimately, I tend to be happier with physical knobs and switches.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
11-12-2016, 10:06 AM,
I put ice creme and caramel syrup on my Pie.
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
02-08-2017, 02:20 AM,
Zombie

(11-12-2016, 09:48 AM)roo Wrote: I want to get one to run octoprint on it so I can place a 3D printer in an out-of-the-way location.  

Did you ever do this? I geek out pretty bad about the thought of having a 3D printer, but in reality I don't think I'd really do anything to justify the cost.
02-08-2017, 08:09 AM,
A CNC mill is far superior. Working with metal creates a product that can easily blend into general household design, unlike chintsy plastics.
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
02-08-2017, 08:21 AM,
You really are a special kind of idiot, aren't you?
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
02-08-2017, 08:29 AM,
(02-08-2017, 08:21 AM)Alien Wrote: You really are a special kind of idiot, aren't you?

Betsy DeVos will work to fix that. Before long, he'll be a run-of-the-mill idiot.
02-08-2017, 11:16 AM,
(02-08-2017, 08:21 AM)Alien Wrote: You really are a special kind of idiot, aren't you?

Well you can always use a manual mill, but it'd be more complicated. But really, nearly everything you can do with a 3D printer I can do on a mill, and it will be more durable and won't look like shit.
02-08-2017, 11:25 AM,
(02-08-2017, 02:20 AM)Gippy Wrote: Zombie

(11-12-2016, 09:48 AM)roo Wrote: I want to get one to run octoprint on it so I can place a 3D printer in an out-of-the-way location.  

Did you ever do this? I geek out pretty bad about the thought of having a 3D printer, but in reality I don't think I'd really do anything to justify the cost.

No, I didn't.  And you're right, you'll never do anything to justify the cost.  It's a toy that's kinda hard to play with.  I still want to buy a Pi and run octoprint though.
02-08-2017, 01:59 PM,
(02-08-2017, 11:16 AM)FuturDreamz Wrote:
Well you can always use a manual mill, but it'd be more complicated. But really, nearly everything you can do with a 3D printer I can do on a mill, and it will be more durable and won't look like shit.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot you literally bet your life on this technology that will soon be eradicated by 3D printing. Good call.
02-08-2017, 02:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-08-2017, 02:25 PM by FuturDreamz.)
(02-08-2017, 01:59 PM)Alien Wrote:
Oh yeah, I almost forgot you literally bet your life on this technology that will soon be eradicated by 3D printing. Good call.

*slow blink*

Do you really want your car's transmission to be made out of plastic? No additive process - even sintering - can reach the strength to cost ratio of milling solid metal.

Even if society collapses I'll still have a job. I can make my own tools.
02-08-2017, 02:51 PM,
(02-08-2017, 01:59 PM)Alien Wrote:

C'mon, be real. He will have long since been replaced by a robot before that happens.
02-08-2017, 04:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-08-2017, 04:23 PM by Skippy.)
I have two and a half days off this week, and three days off next (and the one after that, too). I have a lot of running around to do tomorrow…donating blood, picking up new clothes, getting my first ever new pair of skates sharpened*, and scheduling a doctor's appointment to get meds so I don't spend all of my cousin's destination wedding in the shitter. But dammit, I WILL find time to get RetroPie working on this thing. I've got an Xbox One controller to connect to it (or a wired one, too, if that doesn't work), and a hankering to play Mega Man 2 on the big screen.

* Yes, I'm Canadian, I'm 35 years old, and this is my first new pair of ice skates; previously, I only had hand-me-downs. I made a promise to go skating with my nieces, despite not having skated (if one could call it that) in over 25 years, but we're going to try to go after they're done school on Friday. Oh, most definitely I'll spend more time on my ass then on my skates, but we'll have fun, I'm sure.
There is no dark side of the moon, really…matter of fact, it's all dark.
02-08-2017, 05:32 PM,
(02-08-2017, 02:23 PM)FuturDreamz Wrote: *slow blink*
We all know you're slow. No need to point it out.
Quote:Do you really want your car's transmission to be made out of plastic? No additive process - even sintering - can reach the strength to cost ratio of milling solid metal.
Also: heavier-than-air-flight is impossible, and 640K ought to be enough for anybody.
Quote:Even if society collapses I'll still have a job. I can make my own tools.
Make sure you stash a zombie survival kit, too. Better safe than sorry! Quick question: do you have a job now?
02-09-2017, 11:52 AM,
(02-08-2017, 05:32 PM)Alien Wrote:
Quote:Do you really want your car's transmission to be made out of plastic? No additive process - even sintering - can reach the strength to cost ratio of milling solid metal.
Also: heavier-than-air-flight is impossible, and 640K ought to be enough for anybody.
You're ignoring the question. Every car has a metal transmission, with maybe the exception of some racing vehicles that are designed to only last a year before exploding. it's going to be like that for a very long time.
Quote:
Make sure you stash a zombie survival kit, too. Better safe than sorry! Quick question: do you have a job now?
Yes, as a machinist apprentice.
02-09-2017, 11:33 PM,
(02-09-2017, 11:52 AM)FuturDreamz Wrote:
(02-08-2017, 05:32 PM)Alien Wrote:
You're ignoring the question. Every car has a metal transmission, with maybe the exception of some racing vehicles that are designed to only last a year before exploding. it's going to be like that for a very long time.

Quote:
Yes, as a machinist apprentice.
Look, that's all great, but the cost of even a modestly accurate manual mill exceeds your standard Spousal Eye-Roll Factor (SERF) for what's essentially a hobbyist toy.  I can have a 3D printer to make the sturdiest of dildos for a couple hundred bucks.

I waste more on car parts than that in a week.

So, nobody's debating with you, you're just being a pedantic Russet.
02-09-2017, 11:35 PM,

I would also like to get one to play with.  But I don't know what I'd do with it, if I'm honest.  Set up LAMP on it, I suppose.  But I don't need a LAMP server, in fact, it'd ultimately be inconvenient to maintain.  Maybe a whiteboard robot?  I don't know.

I gravitate more toward Arduino.  I have an Uno I screw around with here and there.  I made some LED projects with Arduino-compatible boards, and I have a few more on my todo list.  

I have a Photon board that I need to put into something... I love the idea of controlling things with my phone, but ultimately, I tend to be happier with physical knobs and switches.

I don't know what LAMP is.

But I do love my Arduinos.  I made a dual-deployment recovery system for my rockets using one (with a barometer and a GPS).  It's essentially an airburst controller - it sets off an ejection charge for the drogue at apogee, and then another one for the main 'chute at 500 feet, so I don't have to walk 10 miles to get a rocket that happened to go about 8000 feet up.
02-10-2017, 05:21 AM,
LAMP is Linux Apache MySQL PHP but is basically now shorthand for any web stack that runs PHP web services.
The chaos army seems suspiciously well organized.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
02-10-2017, 06:30 AM,
(02-10-2017, 05:21 AM)Gippy Wrote: LAMP is Linux Apache MySQL PHP but is basically now shorthand for any web stack that runs PHP web services.

Oh.

[Image: giphy.gif]
02-10-2017, 09:51 PM,
(02-09-2017, 11:35 PM)Jehannum Wrote:

I would also like to get one to play with.  But I don't know what I'd do with it, if I'm honest.  Set up LAMP on it, I suppose.  But I don't need a LAMP server, in fact, it'd ultimately be inconvenient to maintain.  Maybe a whiteboard robot?  I don't know.

I gravitate more toward Arduino.  I have an Uno I screw around with here and there.  I made some LED projects with Arduino-compatible boards, and I have a few more on my todo list.  

I don't know what LAMP is.

But I do love my Arduinos.  I made a dual-deployment recovery system for my rockets using one (with a barometer and a GPS).  It's essentially an airburst controller - it sets off an ejection charge for the drogue at apogee, and then another one for the main 'chute at 500 feet, so I don't have to walk 10 miles to get a rocket that happened to go about 8000 feet up.

Necessity nothing. Laziness is mother of invention.
02-12-2017, 02:36 PM,
After tinkering a bit with some config files I was able to get the my Pi to work as a wifi hot spot so now I can trigger the time lapse feature of gphoto2 with my phone connected. Next step is to get a script going on a website so that I push a button and not have a terminal open.
02-13-2017, 12:26 AM,
progress!
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
03-03-2017, 12:44 PM,
Progress has been made! I got around to finally installing PHP and now I can haz a website to run my bash script for the time lapse function I have been wanting to do.