Why do I need an external enclosure?
11-05-2016, 08:00 AM,
Why do I need an external enclosure?
I got a USB -> SATA cable to migrate data.

I can't figure out what's stopping me from not bothering with enclosures.
11-05-2016, 12:13 PM,
RE: Why do I need an external enclosure?
(11-05-2016, 08:00 AM)roo Wrote: I got a USB -> SATA cable to migrate data.

I can't figure out what's stopping me from not bothering with enclosures.

I don't.
11-05-2016, 01:08 PM,
I'm not going to bother either. Sure, there's a performance hit, but it's not like it's permanent, and not for nothing, enclosures are big.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
11-05-2016, 03:36 PM,
Enclosures protect the drive. I just keep a spare 2.5" enclosure around for when I'm swapping things around on laptops, but I have a SATA+PATA3.5"/2.5" to USB converter for everything else.
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
11-05-2016, 04:38 PM,
Because you're an old, cheap, bastard. That's why.
The chaos army seems suspiciously well organized.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
11-05-2016, 09:33 PM,
I'm also minimalist and kind of a slob judging by my desk right now.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
11-25-2016, 05:35 PM,
I'm now in this boat.
I want to throw away all my spinning disks and go SSD and USB3. These open docks look pretty attractive.
11-25-2016, 10:19 PM,
I suppose if you have a several drives you need to swap out conveniently, or if you need a firewire connection or something, those docks might be useful to you. They don't look much better to me than enclosures, but I don't swap drives. I could mount a HD with USB cable to the underside or back of my desk and be perfectly happy.

For that matter, I could hot glue drives and a USB hub to basement rafters to form a RAID and be perfectly happy — nay, proud — so my standards may be lower than yours.
11-26-2016, 12:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-26-2016, 12:35 AM by Gippy.)
I don't really swap, they're just cheap. 4 bay enclosures get kinda pricey. 500gb is the sweet spot for buying ssds, I think, so I'm looking at a 4 drive setup, even if just for JBOD.

I heavily prune my photo imports, but my libraries still need a lot of active and passive space.
11-26-2016, 12:30 AM,
On your hot glue note: it wouldn't be hard to get a 4x4 block, mill out some slots, and sand/stain it.
11-26-2016, 02:17 AM,
Actually... http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echo15...tdock.html
That's a little pricey, but it'll take 2 2.5" SSD drives internally and let me continue to thrash some eSATA externals that I have.
11-26-2016, 03:31 AM,
I wouldn't really use hot glue, I was just illustrating the point that whatever I did, it'd be in an out-of-the-way place that no one would ever see or have to interact with. If I were really going to do it, it'd be a little fancier, but I doubt I'd get so fancy as to use stain.
11-26-2016, 03:34 AM,
(11-26-2016, 02:17 AM)Gippy Wrote: Actually... http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echo15...tdock.html
That's a little pricey, but it'll take 2 2.5" SSD drives internally and let me continue to thrash some eSATA externals that I have.

It's funny.  As I was reading that, I was thinking... rather than using this as a dock, what would take to put a Mac in there?  Not that one can do something like that.

I think I'm ready for the phone that plugs into a laptop enclosure for when I want to sit and do actual work.  A dual-boot iOS/macOS phone as it were.  Riiiiiight.
11-26-2016, 03:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-26-2016, 03:39 AM by Gippy.)
One can dream, right?

I bet if you really worked at it you could get an MBA in there.
11-26-2016, 04:54 AM,
(11-26-2016, 03:34 AM)roo Wrote:
(11-26-2016, 02:17 AM)Gippy Wrote: Actually... http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echo15...tdock.html

It's funny.  As I was reading that, I was thinking... rather than using this as a dock, what would take to put a Mac in there?  Not that one can do something like that.

I think I'm ready for the phone that plugs into a laptop enclosure for when I want to sit and do actual work.  A dual-boot iOS/macOS phone as it were.  Riiiiiight.

Like this? http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Offer....p-elite-x3

It might be viable in a couple years if Microsoft goes ahead with their x86-to-arm emulator.
11-26-2016, 05:40 AM,
*Mac
11-26-2016, 06:57 AM,
(11-26-2016, 05:40 AM)Gippy Wrote: *Mac

A iOS (not Mac) version is still maybe a decade away. And it won't be mac, with the effort Apple is going through to kill off the old systems and push everyone to iOS. Even now they're removing features from Mac laptops to bring them to parity with the iPad pro.
11-26-2016, 07:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-26-2016, 07:07 AM by Gippy.)
I'm gonna buy that Sonnet. I'll then be able to ditch Firewire all together and my external drives will either be inside that Sonnet or connected over eSata to the Sonnet. I'll also have a USB 3 external for moving around.

I hate waiting on hard drives, but going full SSD would be prohibitively expensive. It sure would be nice to not listen to spinning platters, though.
11-26-2016, 08:10 AM,
You surely have greater storage needs than I do. I'm glancing over to my shelf of shit that I might turn on someday, and there are two external drives, a Kurobox, and my old MBP drive.

I even spy a FireWire iSight back there too...

I think I need to liberate myself from some old storage.
11-26-2016, 08:27 AM,
Yeah. I wish I could get away with less, but photography fills hard drives.

I've got a 4 bay Firewire 400 box sitting in the closet. combined its about 500GB across all the drives. Pathetic ;)
11-26-2016, 08:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-26-2016, 08:43 AM by roo.)

It's an old Maxtor One Touch 200GB.  Has a Firewire 400 port!  Also Two FW800 and USB.  It's sure pretty, but it's huge. I used it for Time Machine backups a few years back.   

I think I've kept it for fear of someone resurrecting the data from it.  I'm using Disk Utility's Secure Erase on it.  It claims to write to every block seven times over, and I'm guessing it'll take the better part of the weekend. sheesh.

Can I put confidence in this erase process?  I know that hardcore folks drill their drives, but I hate to drill a workable hard drive.  It's not like there was ever anything illegal on it... but you know... opsec.

Please Note: that giant hard drive is just a little more than triple the storage than the little doodad on my keyring.
11-26-2016, 08:57 AM,
I don't try to sell or give away drives. I open 'em up and destroy them.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tehgipster...ist-9FrWXq

By the time I'm done with a hard drive nobody really wants it anyway. Its old and slow by modern standards when I ditch 'em.
11-26-2016, 09:00 AM,
I also now find myself looking for a compact AV 5.1 (or better) receiver. But nobody makes anything that's not the ~17" wide monolith.
11-26-2016, 09:04 AM,
Can't help you there. I abandoned all that surround sound stuff almost immediately after I got into it. Stereo is good enough for me.
11-26-2016, 09:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-26-2016, 09:31 AM by Gippy.)
I don't need whizz-bang, but having rear channels and center is nice.
Soundbars are an intriguing option, too.