Fun times trying to unlock an iPad
09-26-2016, 06:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-27-2016, 03:01 AM by FuturDreamz.)
Fun times trying to unlock an iPad
I'm aware that the fact the tablet's and Apple product is irrelevant. This exact same problem could happen with a blackberry and maybe Android devices - though I'm unsure if the latter is secured enough.

Long story shortened: My mom got an iPad 2 for travel, it was too limiting, so she sold her iMac and got a MacBook (which is now running Windows exclusively). The iPad was sitting in a drawer so she gave it to my sister who lives on the other side of the province, my sister had her boyfriend set it up on his account. She never used it, and so gave it back without properly wiping it. It was linked to my sister's boyfriend's iCloud account so I asked her to ask him to go online and de-link it, and it wiped itself. Fast forward three months or so, and my mom only now tells me that she tried to sell it but it had an Activation Lock and needed my sister's boyfriend's account email and password.

I texted her asking for the credentials, but I don't think I'll get them. My other sisters are going up so they can all have thanksgiving with their dad, so I may ask the one in Calgary to bring it up so it can be unlocked in person. I suspect it's going to be forgotten though. We'll see, but in the meantime it's incredibly frustrating dealing with this shit again. I will not deal with my family's technology unless I live half an hour away.
09-26-2016, 10:38 AM,
RE: Fun times trying tu unlock an iPad
My favorite part is that your Mom is running Windows (exclusively) a Macbook.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
09-26-2016, 10:53 AM,
(09-26-2016, 10:38 AM)roo Wrote: My favorite part is that your Mom is running Windows (exclusively) a Macbook.

We used to be a Mac household way back when, and she bought a macbook so it would be familiar. But then OS X started to get really shitty (for example, it demanded a Apple ID password reset whenever the internet was flakey), so I used a spare Windows license I got as a CIT student to make it dual-boot. it's still dual-boot, but to my knowledge my mom hasn't ran OS X once since I got Windows all set up.
09-26-2016, 08:50 PM,
Yeah, that's the part.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
09-26-2016, 11:27 PM,
So… now you're complaining that Apple's stuff works as designed?
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
09-27-2016, 12:14 AM,
(09-26-2016, 11:27 PM)Alien Wrote: So… now you're complaining that Apple's stuff works as designed?

The design is shit, but I'm aware it's necessary thanks to the theft culture Apple has created.

It's just annoying how complicated Apple has to make everything.
09-27-2016, 01:43 AM,
Right. The theft culture, that Apple have created. Uh-huh.
09-27-2016, 03:01 AM,
(09-27-2016, 01:43 AM)Alien Wrote: Right. The theft culture, that Apple have created. Uh-huh.

it used to be that expensive watches and the cash in one's wallet were the things that people were robbed for. but Apple has for a very long time positioned their devices as something to be coveted and resold for very high prices. Even when they're shit.
09-27-2016, 04:11 AM,
RE: Fun times trying to unlock an iPad
Wtf
09-27-2016, 06:37 AM,
You mean they've designed a device that maintains its resale value. Yes, that's totally Apple's fault and not market forces.
Geesie wrote Wrote:You probably support organized labor until a strike inconveniences you too. That's what we like to call "San Francisco Values".
09-27-2016, 07:09 AM,
It only retains it's resale value because Apple never let's retailers discount their products, even to clear out stock. Why sell your old iPhone 6s for $200 if the 7 will never sell new below $700?
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.