Gaming rigs
09-25-2016, 01:16 AM,
Gaming rigs
For those of you that care, I posted my laptop on Kijiji because I hated it and managed to get a swap for a more proper gaming desktop.

"Proton"
I still have to identify the PSU and figure out the water cooling system, but otherwise that's the part list (minus the TV I'm using as a monitor, case fans, and the 300GB laptop hard drive). I ordered a couple 2.5" to 3.5" bay adapters as the drives are just sitting loose now, and when I mount them I'm going to try to rewire the thing as there's a nasty-ass rat's nest of wires inside and 5-6 case fans that always run full blast. Hopefully I can get it a little quieter.

Otherwise I'm mostly happy with it. It's more powerful than my laptop, and I don't play too many games that would strain it. I wouldn't pick any ofg the core parts by themselves, but since I got it from a straight swap I'm not complaining.

What kind of systems do you guys have.
09-26-2016, 08:51 PM,
RE: Gaming rigs
My gaming rig is an iPhone.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
09-27-2016, 12:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-27-2016, 01:04 AM by FuturDreamz.)
Shoeman

You seriously haven't logged into Steam for over five years? Jeez all you did was get the free Portal promo.
09-27-2016, 10:29 AM,
sounds about right
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
09-30-2016, 01:39 PM,
I have an i3 that I occasionally play LucasArts games from the mid to late 1990s on.
"The 300ZX Turbo is a dance; it's a song; it's rolling, roaring automotive art. There is no color that doesn't suit it. There is no mood-lifting chemical substance it can't replace." - Automobile Magazine
10-01-2016, 04:18 AM,
I've thought about doing a PC gaming rig, but I'm really ok with what I get on the XBox. Any more I'd rather be in the garage than playing games, and when I do play/binge I have an ample choice of entertainment on the Xbox.
The chaos army seems suspiciously well organized.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
10-01-2016, 05:27 AM,
I need to make arrangements so's I can play Escape Velocity, Total Annihilation and Age of Empires.
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
10-01-2016, 06:18 AM,
EV is one of my favorites. I still play EV:Nova occasionally.
Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie

10-01-2016, 10:26 AM,
Captain Hector was kind of a dick.
10-02-2016, 11:07 AM,
Only if you persisted in engaging in piracy.
Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie

10-03-2016, 02:19 AM,
(10-01-2016, 05:27 AM)Alien Wrote: I need to make arrangements so's I can play Escape Velocity, Total Annihilation and Age of Empires.

I fucking love Good Old Games for that stuff.  I've bought all the X-wing titles, many Wing Commander titles, and several other old games from them.  I'll grant, it's all packaging (they basically just set up a DOS emulator and then pack the rest of the game into that), and I am paying again for a game I've already got, but the cost is so low as to not bother me over much. 
TA: Commander Pack
10-03-2016, 09:15 AM,
This might be my gaming rig soon: http://www.nintendo.com/nes-classic/?did_you_all_forget
10-03-2016, 09:20 AM,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osJbZEvrSXI

shock rifle
10-03-2016, 07:24 PM,
At some point in the future, I will set up A couple of my old laptops so I can run the gamut of System/Mac OS/Mac OS X/OS X/macOS versions from 6.0.8 through to the present on the fewest machines possible. Then I can play all that nostalgic crap at will.
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
10-04-2016, 01:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-04-2016, 01:15 AM by FuturDreamz.)
...I'd just use SheepShaver and VirtualBox with the patched install disk. My main system is powerful enough to brute force through the emulation.
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
10-04-2016, 02:11 AM,
Ah, UT99... what fun we had.
10-04-2016, 10:14 AM,
(10-04-2016, 01:11 AM)FuturDreamz Wrote: ...I'd just use SheepShaver and VirtualBox with the patched install disk. My main system is powerful enough to brute force through the emulation.

Yeah, but then you'd also have to waste the time getting all that shit setup.

GoG is a turn-key solution.
10-04-2016, 11:11 AM,
GoG?
10-10-2016, 04:50 AM,
(10-04-2016, 11:11 AM)FuturDreamz Wrote: GoG?

Yes
10-10-2016, 04:35 PM,
(10-03-2016, 02:19 AM)Jehannum Wrote:
(10-01-2016, 05:27 AM)Alien Wrote: I need to make arrangements so's I can play Escape Velocity, Total Annihilation and Age of Empires.

I fucking love Good Old Games for that stuff.  I've bought all the X-wing titles, many Wing Commander titles, and several other old games from them.  I'll grant, it's all packaging (they basically just set up a DOS emulator and then pack the rest of the game into that), and I am paying again for a game I've already got, but the cost is so low as to not bother me over much. 

I need to find a decent joystick so I can replay all of the X-Wing games.  My ancient Logitech flightstick is absolutely terrible shape now, and my MBP doesn't have a joystick port in any case.

GOG is amazingly wonderful.
10-10-2016, 06:11 PM,
Seems GoG is having a sale. I prefer to have my games available through Steam though.
10-12-2016, 11:20 AM,
(10-10-2016, 04:35 PM)Warin Wrote:
(10-03-2016, 02:19 AM)Jehannum Wrote:

I need to find a decent joystick so I can replay all of the X-Wing games.  My ancient Logitech flightstick is absolutely terrible shape now, and my MBP doesn't have a joystick port in any case.

GOG is amazingly wonderful.

I got a new Logitech joystick that is everything my old Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro was back in 1999, but with a USB interface.
10-14-2016, 03:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-14-2016, 03:20 PM by Warin.)
Whoa. The Sidewinder 3D Pro is one of my favourite sticks of all time. It is a shame Microsoft made a whole bunch of weird controllers (Dual Strike, anyone?) and then abandoned the line. Of course, all of that work is likely what led to the current controllers, which I consider the best possible gamepads. I have an Elite controller and it is simply outstanding.

I will look into that Logitech stick. Thanks, Jeh.