Recommend me a decent interchangeable lens camera
09-23-2016, 03:52 PM,
Recommend me a decent interchangeable lens camera
So I'm thinking of moving beyond my Canon Powershot SX200 IS, which is a decent point-and-shoot, but, to be perfectly honest, I'm finding my iPhone SE is taking some pretty decent shots now, and it's living up the the old saying of the best camera being the one you have with you. I love the zoom on the Canon, but not carrying a tripod with me all the time makes it much less useful. I also find it's not exceptional with low-light photos (funny thing, that: my old PowerShot S40 seemed to do decent low-light).

That said, I'm looking into taking a jump into a camera with a lot more flexibility, if somewhat less portability (my iPhone can fill that niche for most shots). Now, admittedly, I'm very much a noob with photography, so I don't want to spend a bundle on something of which I will not take full advantage, so I'm looking for a good, get-my-toes-wet kit. I've seen Canon Rebel T6s at Costco for a pretty reasonable price, and aside from a brief foray with a Sony point-and-shoot, my past cameras have all been Canons. However, I've also read great reviews on the Olympus OM-D E-M10 II, and I do like the more compact size when compared to a DSLR.

Like I said, I don't want to spend a great deal, since I'm very much a beginner. I wouldn't mind if it could do low-light shots a bit better than my current cameras, and a viewfinder would be nice, as glare and polarized sunglasses can make some LCDs unusable.

Of course, if I'm able to still find film (and somewhere reasonably close to develop it), I've still got my Dad's camera:

Thoughts?
09-23-2016, 05:25 PM,
RE: Recommend me a decent interchangeable lens camera
It doesn't really matter that much: the differences are minute.

If you buy a Canon, you will be fairly familiar with the interface already, but I can't imagine it being much of a problem adjusting to any other, either.

Some brands have a shit-ton of glass to choose from, but you won't be buying all of those, and the must-haves are available for any brand. Outside of niche applications, you shouldn't hinge your choice on that.

Any brand may have a new gimmick that the others don't have at some point in time, but that never lasts long.

Just go with what feels good. Then start pissing contests with users of other brands.
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
09-23-2016, 07:17 PM,
Just get one of those iPhone lens clip - on kits from Amazon.
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
09-23-2016, 09:01 PM,
I've been researching this, but haven't bought anything. I don't think I will, but that doesn't mean you or someone else shouldn't. What keeps me from buying is that the bodies are now tech. They expire in time. If you buy into one brand, and they drop out, or their bodies' tech goes to pot, you have a pile of tech waste.

For example, Sony gets rave reviews. But I don't trust Sony to stay good at one thing for a long time. Should I invest in their cameras plus lenses? A point and shoot, sure. An interchangeable system... eeeeeee... maybe not so much. But that's me. It's a matter of perspective. I could buy a Sony and a lens or two, and I might be happy for five years... but I personally want a camera to last longer, and since the cameras are so much about tech, longevity isn't there.

Panasonic has similar issues. Their mirrorless cameras get great reviews. But can I trust Panasonic to stick around? Can I trust mirrorless to stick around? It seems to me that if mirrorless were the future, DSLRs would be gone by now.

And what about full frame? Will that become main-stream? Should I invest in crop frame knowing that it'll go away? Ugh.

Problems aside, I ultimately decided the Nikon 7200 was my best bet. Nikon has been at the top forever, DSLR is still what pros use, and both dpreview and thewirecutter call it best in class.

But I didn't buy it. And I'm not going to. There's a better one right around the corner...

Good luck!
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
09-23-2016, 11:28 PM,
*cough*

If your iPhone is so good, then save your money.
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
09-24-2016, 06:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-24-2016, 06:39 AM by Gippy.)
Like has already been said, camera bodies will come and go, and will mostly be ok, but you'll only want to buy good lenses once.

I recently sold all my Canon gear and went Fuji. I don't regret it at all. I started with the X-E1 and now have an X-T1. I like the form factor of the former better, though, but the X-T1 (they've just released an X-T2) is wonderful. The only drawback is that everything in the Fuji X system is expensive. Its not a beginner or casual system, but when you pay for Fuji equipment you get nice stuff. Sturdy bodies and sharp glass. My 35mm f/1.4 is beautiful. Though the Fuji X sensor has some quirks and you need to be prepared to learn them and adjust your editing to make sure you don't hate your edited files (Nikon and Canon have their own quirks, too).

The X-E1 has aged very well and Fuji just stopped releasing firmware updates for it. 4 years of updates is pretty damn good. I still shoot with it and use it to convert old slides to digital using an old Pentax slide duplicator rig. The wife also uses it, though she doesn't shoot much overall. Point being, Fuji makes an investment in longevity. The promise of long term support is part of why I switched to the FujiX system when it was released. They haven't disappointed in this area.

You kinda can't go wrong with Canon or Nikon. Though I'd also suggest looking at Pentax. Anything in the Pentax K range will get you access to 40 years of lens history (though you need to do your research to separate the gold from the stinkers). I adapt some Pentax & Fujinon M42 lenses to my modern Fuji. Same deal with Nikon. Canon switched mounts back in 1987 so the history there is shorter, but no less distinguished. As with anything where you're interested in quality, you get what you pay for. Ricoh recently purchased Pentax's camera unit and have made huge investments in bringing the Pentax camera name back up to relevance. I think that they're doing a pretty good job.

I know people who really like the Sony system and you can adapt just about anything to it without much fuss. I have no personal experience with them. Sony makes sensors for a lot of other players so they're always pushing tech advancement. They've been in the market for a while, but their drawback is lenses. They've just not produced that much native glass.

Going smaller you can look at Olympus. They just updated the OMD EM1 and it looks great. Plus there's a lot of good glass in the M4/3 family. Like above, you need to research and pay to get the good stuff. You start losing the ability to get short DoF at this sensor size, so choose wisely if you know that you want shallow DoF. I skipped this when I was looking because I didn't like how it felt. To small for me.

You should also look at some all in one systems from Fuji and Canon. Fuji's X30 is fantastic (my co-worker bought one and its damn sexy, handles well, and produces some nice files). Canon's new Powershot G5X and G16 both look intriguing, though I admit that I haven't looked in to them much. If you look in to this class of camera, just make sure you get something that allows for full manual override and has good external control of the features, having to dig through menus to change surface level settings like shutter speed and aperture is just dumb. I really want an X30 to just leave in my bag so that I always have something better than my phone with me.

I don't think you need to worry about full frame vs. crop. Full frame will always be expensive and considered professional level. M4/3 and APS-C will dominate the consumer market for a long time to come (though Fuji just released a medium format digital... drool...). I'm completely happy with the APS-C sensor size that I had in my Canon and Fuji cameras. The question of longevity for M4/3 and APS-C has long since been answered. Sure, full frame would be nice, but if you're at the point of asking for buying advice, you'll probably not know how to take advantage of the larger sensor anyway, so save your money and buy better lenses for a smaller sensor.
The chaos army seems suspiciously well organized.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
09-24-2016, 07:12 AM,
Do Sony still have Schneider making glass for them? Kreuznach glass gives me the boners.
09-24-2016, 07:17 AM,
I have no idea. If I recall their initial A series lens tech came from Konica/Minolta. They've also done some stuff with Zeiss.
09-24-2016, 04:47 PM,
Been out of the game too long… it's Zeiss that Sony partner with for their top notch glass.

Schneider make lenses for another camera manufacturer.
09-25-2016, 01:21 AM,
Ooh! Voightlander got in to the Sony E Mount game https://voigtlaender.com/e-mount.html