Will Rio cause an international Zika infection?
07-30-2016, 02:43 PM,
Will Rio cause an international Zika infection?
I'm aware of the WHO's official stance, but this is the same organization that is saying that the athletes just need some inoculations then they can swim in raw sewage. They claim they know all the ways that Zika can spread, and yet it seems there's an outbreak in Florida that according to WHO should not be able to happen. Combined with Zika being mostly unnoticeable until you try to give birth, and we are looking at something very bad. Probably not a Children of Men situation, but also probably not something that can be easily dismissed.
08-01-2016, 01:46 AM,
RE: Will Rio cause an international Zika infection?
Microcephaly can be detected before birth, you just need an ultrasound.
Geesie wrote Wrote:You probably support organized labor until a strike inconveniences you too. That's what we like to call "San Francisco Values".
08-01-2016, 07:05 AM,
But if you find it, can you do anything about it?
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
08-01-2016, 08:00 AM,
If its apparent in a normal anatomy scan at 20 weeks, yes. As long as abortion is legal in your jurisdiction.
Geesie wrote Wrote:You probably support organized labor until a strike inconveniences you too. That's what we like to call "San Francisco Values".
08-01-2016, 08:51 AM,
Abortion.

I was hoping to hear if there was a solution that avoids the couple losing the child.
08-01-2016, 09:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-01-2016, 09:20 AM by FuturDreamz.)
I'm just thinking that a bunch of people are going to get infected
come back home
maybe don't feel super great but don't go to the doctor because it's expensive or takes too long (or just think that Rio gave them food poisoning or one of a million other things)
get eaten by mosquitoes
mosquitoes start infecting more people, including pregnant woman
nobody really notices or cares that much until the ultrasounds start showing an army of babies with no brains.

This is more of a worse-case scenario though. It's entirely possible it gets caught in time that people can start being treated. But it's also possible for it to have a noticeable effect on the number of nonviable babies.
08-01-2016, 04:12 PM,
[Image: 450full-outbreak-screenshot.jpg]
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
08-03-2016, 11:58 AM,
It may not be needed, but it won't help. http://www.wired.com/2016/08/zika-got-po...t-screwed/