Windows 10
08-02-2015, 03:16 PM,
Windows 10
Anyone using it? So far I like it, but even with a clean install it's a little glitchy. It does recognize all devices and finds their required drivers, which is a first (at least to me).
08-04-2015, 06:06 AM,
RE: Windows 10
I'm debating whether to install or not. Any input? The kids' machine runs windows 7 currently.

compy86: Intel i3-4330, 8GB of RAM, GeForce GT640 4GB vid card, Samsung 250GB 850EVO SSD. All in all, a relatively modern system (GeForce aside, since that *still* beats intel's HD4600 that comes with the i3), but I'm not sure whether it's worth bothering with. I have no touchscreen, and I'm not in the market for one, so that drove me away from 8.

I also have a slough of weird hardware that needs to run:
EEPROM programmer
Epson v30 scanner
Logitech Extreme 3D pro joystick
"The 300ZX Turbo is a dance; it's a song; it's rolling, roaring automotive art. There is no color that doesn't suit it. There is no mood-lifting chemical substance it can't replace." - Automobile Magazine
08-04-2015, 09:10 AM,
you just asked spuds for a tech recommendation Giggle
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
08-04-2015, 10:09 AM,
(08-04-2015, 09:10 AM)roo Wrote: you just asked spuds for a tech recommendation  Giggle

He's closer in age to my children than I am.  I'm reasonably sure his opinion will be more cromulent than mine (which is, always, "if it isn't broken, don't fucking touch it").

Also, I'm drunk.  Drunk drunk drunky drunk.  Had a couple doubles of Ardbeg lawn clippings.
08-04-2015, 12:59 PM,
Windows 10 is pretty awesome, but slightly glitchy.

If it was Windows 8, low end hardware, or used for intensive gaming then upgrading now would be great. But coming from a pretty decent 7 system the awesomeness may not offset all glitches that may be encountered.

That being said: Barring "Something Happens" upgrading is pretty flawless and doesn't seem to induce any driver or software incompatibilities. You just have to click reserve, wait for it to download, then install immediately or at a scheduled time.

Edge is mostly useless though, so keep your current browser.
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
08-04-2015, 03:11 PM,
Stay on 7, for now.

Load a crisp image onto a Windows machine at regular, small intervals, and work from that.

"Microsoft" isn't quite the click bait that "Apple" is so it doesn't get as much attention, these days, but Windows is still a steaming pile, underneath the childish visuals.
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
08-04-2015, 04:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-04-2015, 04:03 PM by Skippy.)
The Windows 7 install I have in Boot Camp should be eligible for the upgrade, and yet I never got the Get Windows 10 notification (my neighbour running 7 did, as did my sister running 8.1, which she said was "absolute shit").

Signed up for the Insider program to test out 10, and it's as good as Windows has ever been…which really isn't saying much. Changing settings, for one, drives me absolutely up the wall. There's the new Settings app, accessible from the now-less-shitty Start menu button, but it doesn't have all of the settings there; there's still a classic Control Panel, for which I have to go hunting every time the setting I need to change isn't in Settings. And it is still Windows: Windows Update decided to update my video driver…while I was still using the computer (i.e. not waiting until a restart). My screen went blank (the display backlight was still on), but nothing showed on the screen. Fucking infuriating.

Additionally, with one of the last builds of the preview version, I got BSODs like crazy. Unpredictable, too: I could run the computer for an hour and nothing would happen, and then I could restart, use it for less than five minutes, and be forced to reboot. I also despise the "cuteness" of having a sad-face emoticon on the BSOD: do you think some asshole who's just lost all of his work because the kernel crashed is going to be placated by a fucking emoticon? Of course, thinking that powering off the computer after the video driver debacle may have caused some issue there, I rolled back the driver to the pre-update version; no change. No idea what was causing it, and no desire to go through any kind of troubleshooting in the OS; just resorted to the typical Windows troubleshooting of erase and reinstall. At one point, I just started laughing every time I saw the blue screen come up; really can't explain it, but it just seemed hysterical that it was so random.

All in all, I applaud the concession that Windows 8 was a misstep (read: complete and utter fuckup). It still isn't, and never will be, as easy to use and intuitive as OS X, and I can see no reason why I'd ever switch. I also try to keep my language in check, but rereading my post, I've found Windows has driven me to many "colourful metaphors," as Spock called them.
There is no dark side of the moon, really…matter of fact, it's all dark.
08-05-2015, 05:28 PM,
Finally got it installed with the download tool Microsoft makes available on their website. Install took longer than any major OS X update I've ever installed. Also not looking forward to removing the Windows.old directory left on my Boot Camp partition; my neighbour had the same folder when going from 10 to 7 when he thought he was giving his computer away, and cleaning up that mess took us the better part of an afternoon.

Also, I guess no one at Microsoft thinks anyone with visual difficulties will be using Win10, as the difference between an active and inactive window is barely perceptible even to my eyes. Horrible UI choices there.

Kind of nice that the native contacts, calendar, and mail app all work with iCloud.

I guess what I can say is, it sucks a lot less than Windows 8.
08-07-2015, 03:19 PM,
My sister installed Win10 on her PC, and discovered three major issues. First, she wasn't connected to her wireless network any more. In fact, her computer had no semblance of the Cisco wireless stick plugged into its back end. Didn't show up in network devices, nor in device manager; restarting solved nothing, either. Fixed it by unplugging and replugging in the stick. Reminded me of the time her PC simply forgot it had an optical drive; that required a trip to the registry to fix, though.

Next, her printer was no longer printing or being discovered. Again, Windows looked like it had simply forgotten there was a printer in the home. Reinstalled the driver straight from Epson, and it seems like all is well. The printer's clogged nozzles, I assured her, could not be blamed on Windows. I'm facing enough flack for getting her to upgrade in the first place, though she did manage to get it installed a lot easier than I did.

The most pressing problem was that we couldn't even check on her network status through the Settings app, as it was not opening at all. I apologized and said I had no clue, but I'd be on the lookout for a fix, and another return visit if necessary; I also left a shortcut to the old-school Control Panel on the desktop for her. Luckily, I seem to have found a fix and emailed it off to her, so hopefully she'll be able to get it running; if not, it's a good excuse to go over and see my nieces.

Now she just has to convince her TV/internet provider to replace her shitty Sagemcom router with a less shitty one, preferably one that doesn't drop connections to her Apple TV constantly. We've got the same router, as do our neighbours, and Bell should be ashamed they ever let this thing into the wild; even the two Bell techs I've had to my home have commented that the router is absolute crap. I've had to turn off its wireless features entirely in my home, as the 2.4 GHz network is as useless as tits on a bull, and leave wireless duties to my AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express (and two range extenders for the 2.4 GHz devices in the house).
08-07-2015, 08:32 PM,
Do yourself (and your sister) a favour, stop using your ISP-provided router/WAP. In my experience, they are universally crap. We have a 100Mbps internet connection, but you wouldn't know it when we used the POS router the ISP gave us. It would drop connections constantly, and 1MBps would be all we got most of the time, with bursts of 2-3Mbps if we were lucky.

Switched that crapfest to bridge mode, stuck an Airport Time Capsule behind it, and now we get full throttle. It's amazing how much simple things can get screwed up if companies insist on sticking it full of crapware.
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
08-08-2015, 01:57 AM,
(08-07-2015, 08:32 PM)Alien Wrote: Do yourself (and your sister) a favour, stop using your ISP-provided router/WAP. In my experience, they are universally crap. We have a 100Mbps internet connection, but you wouldn't know it when we used the POS router the ISP gave us. It would drop connections constantly, and 1MBps would be all we got most of the time, with bursts of 2-3Mbps if we were lucky.

Switched that crapfest to bridge mode, stuck an Airport Time Capsule behind it, and now we get full throttle. It's amazing how much simple things can get screwed up if companies insist on sticking it full of crapware.

++

I have a $20 N router connected to a basic cable modem in my apartment and it works perfectly. Only had to be rebooted once in a year so far.
08-08-2015, 02:44 AM,
(08-07-2015, 08:32 PM)Alien Wrote: Do yourself (and your sister) a favour, stop using your ISP-provided router/WAP. In my experience, they are universally crap. We have a 100Mbps internet connection, but you wouldn't know it when we used the POS router the ISP gave us. It would drop connections constantly, and 1MBps would be all we got most of the time, with bursts of 2-3Mbps if we were lucky.

Don't I know it. I've got my AirPort Extreme taking over the wireless duties in my home, and a few powerline networking devices for where the AirPort can't even reach. I'd really rather it handle everything (i.e. disable DHCP on the Sagemcom and have the AirPort Extreme handle all the routing), but the TV receiver apparently has to be directly connected to the Sagemcom provided by Bell, as does the gateway for the wireless TV receiver. Of course, the Bell folks are universally useless for telling folks how to set this up in the first place. When I'm looking for a new printer for my sister (ridiculous that a new printer is cheaper than new ink for a perfectly fine device), I'll look for a decent router for her as well.
08-08-2015, 03:44 AM,
Even if you suffer the double nat and simply plug in an airport and use it you'll still probably be better off.
The chaos army seems suspiciously well organized.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
08-14-2015, 01:30 AM,
Wow, all this Windows 10 phone-home shit is getting weird. You just can't keep it from calling home.
Granted, I haven't looked at what a default install of OS X does lately, but still...

[Image: 2267504334_302483a7be_b.jpg]
The chaos army seems suspiciously well organized.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
08-14-2015, 08:30 AM,
OS X spends plenty of time calling home. Or icloud. Or mxstats. Or amazonaws.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
08-15-2015, 12:30 AM,
(08-14-2015, 08:30 AM)roo Wrote: OS X spends plenty of time calling home.  Or icloud.  Or mxstats.  Or amazonaws.

Might as well just use the OS that phones home only to ensure it's up to date, and to do cloud syncing if you enabled it.
08-15-2015, 12:52 AM,
Think I'll stick with Windows 7.
"The 300ZX Turbo is a dance; it's a song; it's rolling, roaring automotive art. There is no color that doesn't suit it. There is no mood-lifting chemical substance it can't replace." - Automobile Magazine