PLEASE NOTE: I have no money but I just bought a $1000 laptop.
10-17-2014, 04:09 PM,
PLEASE NOTE: I have no money but I just bought a $1000 laptop.
Once upon a time I owned an Acer V5-571G. It was able to handle nearly everything I threw at it, and life was good. One day I had decided I wanted a SSD to make it faster. The laptop was not designed to dissasemble, but I did it anyways and installed a 128GB SSD. Some of the screws came loose, so I tightened them and tightend them until i finally got threadlocker. I kept the old drive and put it in an enclosure, and life was good. But over time I became increasingly annoyed by having to swap my videos onto the external to save space, And on one fateful day I bought a 256GB drive that cost the same as my old 128gb. The overtightened screws had pulled their foundations out of the cheap plastic, and so the laptop disintergrated when I swapped out the drive. I then attempted to replace part of the frame, but by then it was too late: A screw that goes through the motherboard had pulled out it's foundation, and freewheeled when I tried to unscrew it. I had gone too far to go back, so I forced the old frame off and scratched the motherboard in the process. Thus was the end of The Era Of The Acer.

Without a laptop, I was forced to borrow my sister's Dell until my other sister gave me an old thinkpad T42.

Windows XP I will never use
Windows 7 is slower than a drunk turtle, and barely functions.
Mac OS is not compatible, so don't bother.
Ubuntu does not run
Nor Linux Mint, Edubuntu, or whatever the current populard distro is.

I am forced to install Lubuntu, which kind of works. Firefox runs mostly OK, and I can play back 720p .mkvs.

And i have been trudging along until today, where - without much planning or hemming and hawwing - I bought this: ASUS Transformer Book Flip TP500LN-DB51T-CA with 15.6-Inch Touch Screen, Intel Core i5, 6GB, 750GB, Nvidia GT840M, Windows 8.1, Black

My finances are currently stable so I believe I should easily be able to pay the premium on my mastercard, and when i get into my new job in the next few weeks I can start paying it off completely (along with the other $1000 on my mastercard).

I should feel elated, I should feel regretful, I should feel a bit scared.
But i don't feel any of these things. I have to wait a week for it to come in the mail, however i don't regret the purchase at all. I do hope not getting the version with the 24GB SSD will be OK, but i don't see it having a severe effect. This is a system that I will use for a while yet, and should last longer than my Acer. Buying this will not force me to starve, let alone prevent me from purchasing christmas presents for everyone.
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
10-17-2014, 07:08 PM,
RE: PLEASE NOTE: I have no money but I just bought a $1000 laptop.
tl;dr
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
10-18-2014, 12:39 AM,
I think the pixels on that screen are as big as my nipples.
"The 300ZX Turbo is a dance; it's a song; it's rolling, roaring automotive art. There is no color that doesn't suit it. There is no mood-lifting chemical substance it can't replace." - Automobile Magazine
10-18-2014, 12:41 AM,
Considering my old acer has the same dpi, you have very tiny nipples.
10-18-2014, 12:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-18-2014, 12:53 AM by Jehannum.)
(10-18-2014, 12:41 AM)FuturDreamz Wrote: Considering my old acer has the same dpi, you have very tiny nipples.

Considering that's a lower resolution than my fucking 4.7" phone, I'd say you got taken.
"The 300ZX Turbo is a dance; it's a song; it's rolling, roaring automotive art. There is no color that doesn't suit it. There is no mood-lifting chemical substance it can't replace." - Automobile Magazine
10-18-2014, 02:59 AM,
Not everyone needs a retina display. And why does it matter? Why did you jump on the resolution of all things (which is a fairly standard resolution for these size computers btw)?
10-18-2014, 04:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-18-2014, 04:11 AM by Gippy.)
Ugh, that screen resolution would drive me insane at 15". I have more than that on my 13" Air.
The chaos army seems suspiciously well organized.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
10-18-2014, 04:29 AM,
(10-18-2014, 02:59 AM)FuturDreamz Wrote: Not everyone needs a retina display. And why does it matter? Why did you jump on the resolution of all things (which is a fairly standard resolution for these size computers btw)?
Its not standard. My circa 2011 15" MBP has a 1920x1080 screen. 1366x768 on a 15" screen is absurd in this day and age.
Geesie wrote Wrote:You probably support organized labor until a strike inconveniences you too. That's what we like to call "San Francisco Values".
10-18-2014, 05:26 AM,
This thread delivers.
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
ClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbieClubbie
10-18-2014, 06:32 AM,
It's the same resolution as my old laptop so I won't see any change.
10-18-2014, 03:59 PM,
Now there's some sound logic. New being sub-par is ok if its the same as the old pos you're replacing.
The chaos army seems suspiciously well organized.
flickr | Stupid Blog | Twitter
10-18-2014, 09:39 PM,
Jeeze you're like a broken record. It was fine last time, it will be fine this time, and everything else is awesome. Let it go.
10-19-2014, 12:44 AM,
And you paid $1000 for that?! That's too much in any currency, with the possible exception of the Zimbabwean Dollar. The first one.
10-19-2014, 02:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-19-2014, 02:06 AM by FuturDreamz.)
$875 plus tax.
10-20-2014, 08:04 AM,
(10-19-2014, 12:44 AM)Alien Wrote: And you paid $1000 for that?! That's too much in any currency, with the possible exception of the Zimbabwean Dollar. The first one.

I paid under $1000 for a refurb Macbook Pro with higher res over two years ago. lolz.
smapdi Wrote:I do declare that losing one's anal virginity sure is a memorable time.
10-20-2014, 04:26 PM,
And you're paying it off via MasterCard. I foresee a bright future for you, young man!
10-21-2014, 01:02 AM,
I'll admit I don't know what my premium is. I haven't ever seen an interest charge and my minimum payment is always $10. In fact recently my bank offered to triple my borrowing limit due to my apparently great credit score.
10-21-2014, 01:11 AM,
You should have gotten the BOAT LOAN
Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie ClubbieClubbieClubbie

10-21-2014, 02:46 AM,
I keep telling you I didn't live near water and I don't own a car that can tow.
10-21-2014, 06:02 AM,
Huh, just realized it doesn't come with office.

Oh well, I'll get an Office 365 subscription so I can take advantage of the 1 Terabyte of OneDrive cloud storage space.
10-21-2014, 06:05 AM,
(10-18-2014, 02:59 AM)FuturDreamz Wrote: Not everyone needs a retina display. And why does it matter? Why did you jump on the resolution of all things (which is a fairly standard resolution for these size computers btw)?

Because that resolution isn't sufficient to set two 80 character wide windows next to each other.
10-21-2014, 07:47 AM,
So?
10-21-2014, 10:27 AM,
(10-21-2014, 01:02 AM)FuturDreamz Wrote: I'll admit I don't know what my premium is. I haven't ever seen an interest charge and my minimum payment is always $10. In fact recently my bank offered to triple my borrowing limit due to my apparently great credit score.

$10 per month, without interest, since you've never been charged interest, means that your computer will be paid off in 100 months, ie just over 8 years. Of course, if the credit card charged a modest 10%, it'll take 180 months (15 years). But your card charges no interest.

I'm sure it'll work out fine.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
10-21-2014, 03:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-21-2014, 03:24 PM by FuturDreamz.)
You are pretty slow, aren't you? I never said I would only put the minimum on my MasterCard. Every paycheque I'm putting at least $100 minimum on my card, and I'll be able to pay it off fairly quickly once I get my job next week or so.

What's frightening is that on this forum you guys quite often rag on me for incorrect things you assume thanks to information I omit because i consider it common sense and redundant to add.

Plus the only two things you pointed out on my laptop is that standard screen resolution (which I am aware of and accept) and the price (which i never did say - though it does appear the listing has jumped in price dramatically since I last saw it), which from prior experince indicates that some did like the laptop aside form that one flaw.
10-21-2014, 09:53 PM,
(10-21-2014, 07:47 AM)FuturDreamz Wrote: So?

So that makes it an untenable laptop for me, hence why I focused on the (pitiful) resolution. You were the one who asked.