THE END IS NIGH
09-30-2013, 03:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-30-2013, 03:36 PM by FuturDreamz.)
THE END IS NIGH
Looming U.S. government shutdown deadline sparks blame game

Quote:With the U.S. government teetering on the brink of partial shutdown, congressional Republicans vowed Sunday to keep using an otherwise routine federal funding bill to try to attack the president's health care law.

Congress was closed for the day after a post-midnight vote in the GOP-run House to delay by a year key parts of the new health care law and repeal a tax on medical devices, in exchange for avoiding a shutdown. The Senate was to convene Monday afternoon, just hours before the shutdown deadline, and Majority Leader Harry Reid had already promised that majority Democrats would kill the House's latest volley.
[Image: oh-snap.gif]Sorry I couldn't find the fat black guy eating popcorn gif.
09-30-2013, 09:04 PM,
RE: THE END IS NIGH
This happens every year. I'm not sure how: a: it happens every year and b: how so many people think it's cool to keep borrowing more money.
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
10-01-2013, 02:20 AM,
Hey roo, did you know BlackBerry devices have hardware keyboards ON the phone. just sayin' bro.

Anywho, this is for show so the GOP will not look like they caved in.
10-01-2013, 11:01 PM,
[Image: 5t8jyhw.jpg]
Geesie wrote Wrote:You probably support organized labor until a strike inconveniences you too. That's what we like to call "San Francisco Values".
10-02-2013, 08:58 AM,
I didn't realize I was suffering.
10-02-2013, 09:00 AM,
Ignorance is bliss, aye?
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
10-02-2013, 03:11 PM,
(10-02-2013, 09:00 AM)FuturDreamz Wrote: Ignorance is bliss, aye?

You must be the most blissed out potato in Albertaland.

anyhoo...

I am stunned at the abject stupidity of the GOP on this whole thing. They are figuring out how many people are pissed and are now trying to sort out a way to fund "important" things. If Obama had even a sliver of backbone, he'd realized he's got the fuckers by the nuts and start squeezing.
10-02-2013, 03:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 03:25 PM by FuturDreamz.)
Too bad you'd be throwing your vote away if you didn't vote for either party.
10-02-2013, 04:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 04:26 PM by FuturDreamz.)
Hey what's the debt cap these days? It's probably not important, but restarting a government is expensive and well...

Oh, and healthcare.gov is now live.
10-02-2013, 04:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 04:42 PM by FuturDreamz.)
Turns out that unless something is done the US is expected to reach the debt cap in 16 days. Not sure if that factors in the current shutdown and subsequent restart though.

Last thing, but this IS kinda funny. The perverse math behind the Republican budget showdown: Neil Macdonald
10-02-2013, 08:35 PM,
(10-02-2013, 03:11 PM)Warin Wrote:

anyhoo...

I am stunned at the abject stupidity of the GOP on this whole thing. They are figuring out how many people are pissed and are now trying to sort out a way to fund "important" things. If Obama had even a sliver of backbone, he'd realized he's got the fuckers by the nuts and start squeezing.

Yes. It's always that GOP, isn't it? They're the ones who spy on us and threaten war in the Middle East, right?
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
10-03-2013, 12:25 AM,
(10-02-2013, 04:19 PM)FuturDreamz Wrote: Oh, and healthcare.gov is now live.

Sweet, a page who's sole interactivity is to link me to another site what is experiencing "technical difficulties"

Healthcare of the future! Salute
10-03-2013, 12:27 AM,
roo's tax dollars at work! Thanks, roo!
Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie

10-03-2013, 02:54 AM,
(10-02-2013, 08:35 PM)roo Wrote:

anyhoo...

Yes. It's always that GOP, isn't it? They're the ones who spy on us and threaten war in the Middle East, right?

In this case, when it comes to budgetary matters and what they are trying to prove, yeah, it is the GOP. They are trying to "kill" Obamacare in a manner that doesn't even remotely stop the implementation of Obamacare. They are fucking stupid. In the process, they are hurting a lot of Americans who are probably living paycheque to paycheque. That is ignorant and useless. And I'd be saying exactly the same thing about the Democrats if they were the ones pulling this shit... it isn't partisan, Roo.
10-03-2013, 04:04 AM,
(10-03-2013, 02:54 AM)Warin Wrote:
(10-02-2013, 08:35 PM)roo Wrote:

anyhoo...

In this case, when it comes to budgetary matters and what they are trying to prove, yeah, it is the GOP. They are trying to "kill" Obamacare in a manner that doesn't even remotely stop the implementation of Obamacare. They are fucking stupid. In the process, they are hurting a lot of Americans who are probably living paycheque to paycheque. That is ignorant and useless. And I'd be saying exactly the same thing about the Democrats if they were the ones pulling this shit... it isn't partisan, Roo.

paycheque? So you don't have a dog in this fight, do you?
10-03-2013, 04:36 AM,
On the somewhat brighter side, all those "furloughed" are basically getting a paid vacation. When the paycheques resume, they'll get back-pay for the time they weren't working.

True, they aren't getting anything in the interim, and that does suck. But they aren't totally screwed.
Obscurum veritas defensor

Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie
10-03-2013, 04:37 AM,
(10-03-2013, 04:36 AM)Og Wrote: On the somewhat brighter side, all those "furloughed" are basically getting a paid vacation. When the paycheques resume, they'll get back-pay for the time they weren't working.

True, they aren't getting anything in the interim, and that does suck. But they aren't totally screwed.
Backpay for furloughed civil servants will require an act of congress though, so it is not a given.
Geesie wrote Wrote:You probably support organized labor until a strike inconveniences you too. That's what we like to call "San Francisco Values".
10-03-2013, 05:39 AM,
Hmmm. Well, they got it last time. Dunno if congress was involved but would seem so. But to not pay them while those fatcat fucks continue slurping at the public trough...

Eh, fukkit. Have about as much power to do anything about that as we do for anything else.
Obscurum veritas defensor

Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie
10-03-2013, 05:40 AM,
Still not suffering.
10-03-2013, 07:55 AM,
(10-03-2013, 04:04 AM)roo Wrote: paycheque? So you don't have a dog in this fight, do you?

And since when did that have a bearing on whether or not someone can have an opinion on world events?

When did you drink up the tea party kool aid so much that you are a posterboy for their whole "deflect and distract" brand of debate? Well, I'd like to call it debate, but it's more the more adult version of sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting "LALALALALALALA" while you stamp your feet until people stop in the hopes of getting you to quiet down a little?

Or would you care to actually talk about what I expressed an opinion on rather than a regurgitation of a "skin in the game" argument? Show me you're a big boy and can debate with the grown ups, roo. Either that, or you'd better get signed up to run for the Tea Party in 2014.
10-03-2013, 08:42 AM,
HP has promised to find alternate work for me and my fellow HP contractors who will be turned out from the Computer Science Research Institute at Sandia National Labs tomorrow.

I'll be on disability until the 14th, though, so we'll see what kind of half-assed solution washes ashore, stinking of rotten meat, in the meantime.
"The 300ZX Turbo is a dance; it's a song; it's rolling, roaring automotive art. There is no color that doesn't suit it. There is no mood-lifting chemical substance it can't replace." - Automobile Magazine
10-03-2013, 09:46 AM,
(10-03-2013, 08:42 AM)Jehannum Wrote: HP has promised to find alternate work for me and my fellow HP contractors who will be turned out from the Computer Science Research Institute at Sandia National Labs tomorrow.

I'll be on disability until the 14th, though, so we'll see what kind of half-assed solution washes ashore, stinking of rotten meat, in the meantime.

Here's hoping something is solved before the 14th then.

It is so aggravating that politicians who continue being paid are so cavalier with the pay of average folks. Especially when the obstructionists have pretty much admitted that they are using this as a way to try and kill the ACA. Ironic when it is essentially the plan St. Newt used to kill Hilarycare in the 90's.

How anyone can, with a straight face, say the kinds of things that the current lunatic fringe of the right are saying, amazes me. The saddest part is that there are a lot of moderate Republicans who are maginalized by these asshats, making it impossible for there to be any sort of bipartisan rule in Washington. All becaust the POTUS is PWB.
10-03-2013, 10:04 AM,
What would it take to establish a third party? I think one is long overdue.
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
10-03-2013, 10:37 AM,
Open primaries at the state level, for one.
Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie Clubbie

10-03-2013, 11:06 AM,
(10-03-2013, 05:40 AM)more or less Wrote: Still not suffering.

You may not, but others will.
"Balls," said the queen. "If I had them, I'd be king."