#superdrivefail
08-05-2014, 12:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-05-2014, 12:53 AM by bedstuy.)
#superdrivefail
I own a Late 2009 iMac and it seems my superdrive is no longer working. I found this out because I wanted to run DiskWarrior from the disk to do a directory repair and it would not mount. Then I tried inserting a movie DVD and none will mount either.

If I purchase a USB Apple external superdrive will I be able to boot from that with DiskWarrior and do what I want to do or not? Thanks.

ps: yes, I realize it's time for a new iMac but otherwise this one is running fine.

never mind, the product specs say I need a late 2012 iMac for the external superdrive to work:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD564Z...superdrive

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS?
more or less wrote Wrote:I am commonly referred to as a meth addled closet homo.
08-05-2014, 02:53 AM,
RE: #superdrivefail
Bootable flash drive?
My logic is infallible. Resistance is futile.
08-05-2014, 03:02 AM,
If memory serves, disk warrior will boot from USB.
Geesie wrote Wrote:You probably support organized labor until a strike inconveniences you too. That's what we like to call "San Francisco Values".
08-05-2014, 09:14 AM,
How about a USB Thumb Drive
bedstuy Wrote:mocking a pair of $500 jeans is a form of class warfare... why do you hate my social status?
08-06-2014, 02:50 AM,
Give it a shot of compressed air and see if that helps (it does help the one on my work MBP).
"The 300ZX Turbo is a dance; it's a song; it's rolling, roaring automotive art. There is no color that doesn't suit it. There is no mood-lifting chemical substance it can't replace." - Automobile Magazine
10-22-2014, 05:02 AM,
I bought a Samsung external USB ultra-thin portable DVD writer for the reasonable price of $29.99 (as opposed to the Jobs/Cook unreasonably priced $79 one which is incompatible with my late 2009 iMac) and DiskWarrior booted fine from this, though it was a rather slow process. Though come to think of it DiskWarrior was always slow booting up internally as well.

DiskWarrior IMO has always been a good investment -- I was always told they use it at the Apple Genius bar

IS THIS TRUE OR HAVE BEEN SOLD A BOWL OF LEMONS?
more or less wrote Wrote:I am commonly referred to as a meth addled closet homo.